Loaves and Fishes

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Loaves and Fishes

Post by neilgodfrey »

The parables only have one meaning. Jesus explained what that one meaning was. Anything else is eisegesis. So you're saying now that the stars also represent Christ the unchangeable in the heavens and the mutable on earth? Is there anything the stars don't represent? Do you really believe that Mark knew there were 5000 stars all of which were divided into constellations of 50 and 100 visible stars and that this was what he meant to convey?

You're making all this up. You imagine it can be so, so it is so. I wouldn't mind so much -- it can be a fun game to see who can plant the most tinsel on a Christmas tree -- but you get upset and accuse us of bigotry when we don't buy it and point to simpler explanations that are clearly supportable in the literary evidence near at hand.
For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it. -- Deut. 30:11-14
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Parallelomania was the term introduced to English language NT studies by Samuel Sandmel. He defined parallelomania as:
that extravagance among scholars which first overdoes the supposed similarity in passages and then proceeds to describe source and derivation as if implying literary connection flowing in an inevitable and predetermined direction.
And one of the sins of parallelomania is its reliance upon fitting excerpts together:
Detailed study is the criterion, and the detailed study ought to respect the context and not be limited to juxtaposing mere excerpts.
Accordingly genuine parallels are those that can be demonstrated through a detailed comparative analysis of the words and syntax and literary structures between the sources.

Merely grabbing discrete concepts from some ontological grab-bag and applying them to this and that image or phrase -- as Robert is doing -- as if we are finding neat ways to add Christmas decorations to a Christmas tree is the very epitome of parallelomania.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

To illustrate the fallacy of making parallels from excerpts as is done by the "astrotheologians", I have taken the opening sentences of Casey's new book. . . .
This book is a sort of sequel to jesus of Nazareth (T&T Clark International, 2010). When I finished it, Stephanie Fisher persuaded me to write this as she was concerned with a growing phenomenon, enhanced by amateur blogs on the internet and inspired partly by publications by Price and Doherty, that there was no historical Jesus.
And show how one can just as easily take astrological/astronomical concepts and apply them -- in excerpt form -- to those two sentences, too. . . . .

This book is a sort of sequel to Jesus of NazarethA sequel from Jesus of Nazareth points to the successive constellations through which the sun must pass; the book refers to the handwriting of God in the heavens -- his message to earthlings through the signs in the heavens.
(T&T Clark International, 2010)T&T = Twins, Gemini; Again the reference to writing a message "clerk", that is meant for the whole world, "International". 2010 is a triangular year: 2+0+1+0=3 and 3 is the number of optimism -- the "good news" coming through the 3rd sign, Gemini
When I finished itCasey's message is the final word of instruction for those who can see
Stephanie FisherThis is clearly a reference to Pisces (fisher) as the crowning (stephanie) or currently dominant zodiacal sign -- we are still in the age of Pisces
persuaded me to write this as she was concerned with a growing phenomenonPisces is in a sextile relationship with Gemini so it exerts a strong persuasive influence on Gemini; Pisces is also the sign of deep feelings; the growing phenomenon is gradual alignment of the planets, moon and sun in a malignant sign
enhanced by amateur blogs on the internet and inspired partly by publications by Price and DohertyPrice and Doherty represent the two great lights (one is of high value, the sun, the other of a doughty shade, the moon), and the related amateur blogs represent the visible planets
that there was no historical Jesus.they deny the sun, the source of all life and light

stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

But now you've hit on the Acharya crowds real purpose in 'studying the gospel.' They have no interest in understanding the texts. They just want to use it to introduce their own theories about 'astro-theology.' There is no real attempt to ground any of their theories in the beliefs and practices of the first Christians. They only want to attract people to astro-theology.
Everyone loves the happy times
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

I made a mistake there and said Pisces and Gemini were in a positive sextile relationship. That was wrong, of course. They are actually in a negative square relationship. But that's even better because it is a sign that the influence of Stephanie on Maurice was for a negative purpose -- it led to the criticisms of Murdock/Acharya. So even if we astrotheologians make mistakes and have to correct ourselves we still find that everything fits anyway.
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

neilgodfrey wrote:The parables only have one meaning. Jesus explained what that one meaning was. Anything else is eisegesis.
Do you really believe that? Allegorical reading of parables produces a range of meanings, and these meanings can be in the original intent rather than just being the presuppositions, agendas and biases of the reader. Maybe there is deliberate ambiguity in the original intent. Parables can serve both cosmic and social religious functions. http://www.baylor.edu/christianethics/P ... arsons.pdf and http://worship.calvin.edu/resources/res ... and-music/ provide contrary views to your “only one meaning” assertion.

‘Pearls before swine’ is one example of a phrase from Christ that has some ambiguity. Would you say that phrase has only one meaning?
neilgodfrey wrote:So you're saying now that the stars also represent Christ the unchangeable in the heavens and the mutable on earth? Is there anything the stars don't represent?
The miracle of the loaves and fishes represents the idea that earth and heaven are connected as part of the same one reality. This is an old central philosophical concept, simple and true, going back at least to Plato’s Timaeus. The changing world of temporal appearance is nested within an unchanging universe of eternal reality. So the law of gravity is immutable and universal, while the specific measure of attraction between objects is mutable and particular. In ancient time, this correct model extended to the observation that the Milky Way appeared not to change, while the planets wandered along the path of the sun.
neilgodfrey wrote: Do you really believe that Mark knew there were 5000 stars all of which were divided into constellations of 50 and 100 visible stars and that this was what he meant to convey?
You are imposing a demand for exactness on a story that is parabolical. The Gnostic tradition behind this miracle did not emerge fully formed at the time of Pilate like Athena from the brow of Zeus. It reflects centuries of oral tradition among astronomer priests, such as the ones who built the ziggurats of Babylon and the great temples and pyramids of Egypt. These traditions certainly had capacity to form accurate estimates of 4000 and 5000 as the number of visible stars. Ptolemy listed 48 constellations, and there are star groups between constellations. I am happy to concede that the term “ranks” is unclear.
neilgodfrey wrote: You're making all this up. You imagine it can be so, so it is so. I wouldn't mind so much -- it can be a fun game to see who can plant the most tinsel on a Christmas tree
Again Neil, despite your protestation of interest in astronomy, comparing evidence of ancient knowledge of precession of the equinoxes to “who can plant the most tinsel on a Christmas tree” illustrates ignorance on your part, and is insulting to ancient astronomy. Tinsel is random, whereas the cosmos is ordered. The positions of the visible stars are much the same today as when Adam was a boy, except for their slow precession against the seasons. Your “tinsel” jibe implies that the observation of the star clock of the earth is purely imaginary, when in fact it is purely scientific.
neilgodfrey wrote: -- but you get upset and accuse us of bigotry when we don't buy it and point to simpler explanations that are clearly supportable in the literary evidence near at hand.
That would be a fair point if it were true. But neither you nor anyone else has provided a simpler explanation, you have just airily asserted that such exists. I don’t say that honest ignorant people are bigots. Bigotry only enters the picture when people aggressively promote demonstrable falsehoods. I prefer to have a courteous conversation focussed on facts and analysis of evidence and logic.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Robert Tulip wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:The parables only have one meaning. Jesus explained what that one meaning was. Anything else is eisegesis.
Do you really believe that? Allegorical reading of parables produces a range of meanings, and these meanings can be in the original intent rather than just being the presuppositions, agendas and biases of the reader. Maybe there is deliberate ambiguity in the original intent. Parables can serve both cosmic and social religious functions. http://www.baylor.edu/christianethics/P ... arsons.pdf and http://worship.calvin.edu/resources/res ... and-music/ provide contrary views to your “only one meaning” assertion.
Did you even read what I said? Do you know the meaning of eisegesis? Of course you can make up as many meanings as you like. But if we are studying the literature we need to follow the evidence that the literature gives us. Jesus did not teach many meanings. He taught one meaning.
Robert Tulip wrote:Again Neil, despite your protestation of interest in astronomy, comparing evidence of ancient knowledge of precession of the equinoxes to “who can plant the most tinsel on a Christmas tree” illustrates ignorance on your part, and is insulting to ancient astronomy. Tinsel is random, whereas the cosmos is ordered.
Oh my big fat buddha! Can't you comprehend the simplest sentences? I said the act of sticking excerpted concepts from astrology to any text is a game. I did not say that ancient astronomers were a joke. I assure you I have the utmost respect for all they worked out and understood.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Robert Tulip wrote:Commentary on Gospel Texts on Loaves and Fishes

Collating the text on the loaves and fishes from all four gospels there are about 2000 words, nearly 100 verses. The feeding of the multitude is the most prominent miracle in the Bible, appearing six times compared to three for the resurrection, but it is deeply mysterious. It is literally impossible, so its origins deserve careful analysis. Ruling out magic, the contesting hypotheses for the core meaning focus on Jesus as antitype for Moses or as cosmic allegory.

I am happy to discuss what this miracle may really mean, even though I find the tone and level of knowledge of some posters here surprising. In response to Neil Godfrey’s request, I will go through all these verses in order, to explore their apparent most likely meaning. I have noticed that some commenters seem often to ignore what I say, and even to claim I said things I did not say, but that is okay, as we can all read the discussion as it stands and readers can make up their own minds. Even so, I generally prefer that people quote me accurately rather than inaccurately.

As an aside, at least some here have the decency and honesty to post under their real names, which I think should be a rule for this website to increase the level of courtesy and accountability. I do not understand the ethics of anonymous commentary on scholarly matters. If you are scared about people knowing what you think then don’t say it. You won’t be crucified.

Mark 6:30-44
30. The apostles gathered themselves together to Jesus, and they told him all things, whatever they had done, and whatever they had taught.
• This ‘all they had done’ motif references the verse Mark 6:7 ‘He called to himself the twelve, and began to send them out’. The implication that Christ is omniscient is similar to both his conversation with the woman at the well who told Christ about her six husbands (like the 6000 years of the fall) and the sun in the Sermon on the Mount at Matthew 5:45 that shines equally on the just and unjust. So too the twelve months of the year represent all things under the sun, against the cosmic framework of Christ as the solar year and the apostles as the twelve lunar months surrounding the central source of light and life. The months may be considered separately as each having a different nature, but here the twelve come together and appear as eternally united as varying reflections of the same sun.
http://biblehub.com/mark/6-31.htm 31 He said to them, "You come apart into a deserted place, and rest awhile." For there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. 32 They went away in the boat to a desert place by themselves.
• Christ calls the twelve away from the bustle of the world to find spiritual food. The business of the world prevents enlightenment, which requires isolation and meditation. The wilderness motif also indicates the Exodus theme of escape from worldiness to see God. I interpret the apostles and Christ in the boat against the Argonauts and other cognate myths, but that is a complex topic to come back to later.
http://biblehub.com/mark/6-33.htm 33 They saw them going, and many recognized him and ran there on foot from all the cities. They arrived before them and came together to him.
• Firstly, it is rather strange that the multitude can recognise Christ despite being located in ‘all the cities’. This is a first impossibility in this myth, since people in numerous cities cannot all see one person as indicated here. But Mark passes over that difficulty with sublime indifference. It indicates that Christ is allegory for something that can be seen from many different places at once, perhaps something that shines equally on the just and the unjust.

Considering Christ as allegory for the sun, and the apostles as allegories for the twelve months of the moon, the multitude appears analogous to the stars of the night sky, with the cities analogous for the constellations. The stellar motif is clearly present in the Holy City of the apocalypse, although lightly hidden in deference to moronic sensibilities. There are in fact about 5000 stars visible from the equator, and 4000 visible from temperate latitudes, so this analogy is plausible for both versions of the number of men participating in the miracle.
34Jesus came out, saw a great multitude, and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd, and he began to teach them many things.
• As the sun appears to travel through the multitude of stars each year, its position in each group of stars has a distinct meaning, relevant to the time of year. This traditional view is depicted in the stained glass windows of Chartres Cathedral, with the occupations for each month. So the sun gives meaning to the random shapes of the stars through its regular annual procession through them. As we shall see, a deeper eternal meaning of this order is seen, and was perceived by the ancients, in the equally regular slow precession of the sun through the stars, one degree back per human lifetime.

• The shepherd motif echoes King David and the Psalms. In terms of precession, the spring point was in the sign of the ram for two thousand years until the time of Christ, when it moved into the sign of the fish. So the ‘without a shepherd’ idea matches to the stellar disorientation occurring at the time of Christ, well known to the ancients. Philo said Passover occurred when the sun was in the sign of the ram. This had been visibly seen to no longer apply since the blood moon of 23 March 4BC at Passover in Jerusalem, a lunar eclipse that was physically at the foot of the woman (Virgo), directly opposite the sun in Pisces. This event is a possible source for the great wonder seen in heaven described in Revelation 12:1, and for Paul’s motif in Galatians ‘born of a woman’. We can again see this great wonder with the blood moon in the same spot in the sky on 15 April this year.
35 When it was late in the day, his disciples came to him, and said, "This place is deserted, and it is late in the day. 36 Send them away, that they may go into the surrounding country and villages, and buy themselves bread, for they have nothing to eat."
• Psalm 90:4 and 2 Peter 3:8 say a thousand years is as a day for God. Theology has used this framework to construct a 7000 year theory of time from Eden to Apocalypse linked to the seven days of creation in Genesis and the vision of the millennium in Revelation. So the ‘late in the day’ timing for the loaves and fishes miracle illustrates that it occurs at a time of shift between ages. The twelve make the practical/allegorical suggestion that dispersal of the men/stars is the only way for them to obtain food/enlightenment.
37 But he answered them, "You give them something to eat." They asked him, "Shall we go and buy two hundred denarii worth of bread, and give them something to eat?"
• Allegorically, the sun/Christ structures the months/apostles against the perennial identity of the star patterns/the multitude, marking the annual cycle of the seasons.
38 He said to them, "How many loaves do you have? Go see." When they knew, they said, "Five, and two fish."
• Gnostic ideas are clearly present here. ‘Go see’ is an Enochite reference to the old tradition of the cosmic seers, the watchers who formed the Nazirite Gnostic tradition through Samson to John the Baptist who has just been beheaded (in preference to Salome turning down the offer of half a kingdom) in this chapter. “When they knew” is a very unusual turn of phrase for Mark to use in this spot. It is a rather clunky way to insert the Gnostic theme of knowledge. And the knowledge matches precisely to our cosmic vision of the structure of reality available to the naked eye since time immemorial, with the five visible planets and the two great lights of the sun and moon.
The multiplication of the loaves and fishes is not so miraculous in light of this thread having multiplied itself from another thread titled "loaves and fishes" at the link below. . .

http :/ / freethoug htnation. co m/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3398
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

27 March 2014
My Bible Study Group is reading First Light by John Dominic Crossan, a study of Jesus and the Kingdom of God. This week we read Crossan’s chapter on parables, which he sees as a category including miracles. The text includes a mosaic of the loaves and fishes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_ ... iplication including the actual rock where our blessed personal Lord and Saviour accidentally pulled the magic rhino out of his hat.

Here it is!
Image Crossan says that the gospel writers copied the fictional parable process in what he calls the parable of the Multiplication of Loaves and Fishes. He interprets the story as about the distribution of food already present, as about who owns this world and who owns the food that is the material basis of life on this earth, and about the need for the church to be pulled kicking and screaming by Jesus to understand its functional destiny. Crossan defines the parable as a lure for discussion, debate, and the raising of corporate consciousness, seeing parables, miracles and aphorisms as modes of collaborative discourse required for a collaborative eschatological transformation with a God of distributive justice.

This overtly political reading is obviously eisegetical, but it illustrates the difficulty of using eisegesis as a term of abuse, since being derogatory towards Crossan would mainly be on the basis of hatred for his politics. One argument about eisegesis turns on the importance of determining the authorial intentions, something about which it is impossible to be definitive unless we have consensus on assumptions such as the historic existence of Jesus.
Mark 6:42 They all ate, and were filled.

Continuing reading Mark against the stellar allegory, this text indicates that all the 5000 men/visible stars of the sky were seen in location against the regular orderly movement of the five loaves/planets and two fish/sun and moon around the field of grass/the path of the heavens. The fulfilment here is pleromatic – an eschatological vision of when God will be known as all in all. http://biblehub.com/greek/4138.htm notes that pleroma or fullness appears in the Mark 8 version of the miracle, and also in Colossians.
43 They took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces and also of the fish.
The twelve baskets represent the twelve months of the year, with the broken pieces representing the constantly changing angles between the positions of the planets.
44 Those who ate the loaves were five thousand men.
Concluding this first of the six tellings of the miracle in the Gospels, the overall cosmic context is reaffirmed with the coded reference to the number of visible stars. The satiation of the miracle refers to the reconciliation of all things, or as the Paulines put it in the great hymn of cosmic praise at Colossians 1, the Son of his love is the image of the invisible God, by whom were all things created - all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him and through him to reconcile all things.

The slow wheeling of the heavens is the great measure of time, and can be studied to see the framework of cosmic reconciliation.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Robert Tulip wrote:it illustrates the difficulty of using eisegesis as a term of abuse

Who has used eisegesis as a term of abuse? When will you stop interpreting every honest criticism and exposure of the logical fallacies of parallelomania as some sort of persecution?
Robert Tulip wrote:with the broken pieces representing the constantly changing angles between the positions of the planets.
This is a joke, right?

Robert Tulip wrote:The slow wheeling of the heavens is the great measure of time, and can be studied to see the framework of cosmic reconciliation.
What on earth is "cosmic reconciliation?