Was the Sixth Hour = 6 pm? Was Mark's 'Third Hour' an Attempt at Harmonizing the Greek and Roman Time Calculations?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Was the Sixth Hour = 6 pm? Was Mark's 'Third Hour' an Attempt at Harmonizing the Greek and Roman Time Calculations?

Post by Secret Alias »

But the earliest Christians took the last curse (Deuteronomy 21:23 is the last negative threat in the Pentateuch) as a prophesy of the Passion.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: Was the Sixth Hour = 6 pm? Was Mark's 'Third Hour' an Attempt at Harmonizing the Greek and Roman Time Calculations?

Post by Secret Alias »

Josephus's exegesis seems to focus on the burial aspect of the commandment:
He has, however, prescribed the other gifts which we are bound to impart; to supply to all that are in need fire, water, and food, to show them the roads, not to leave a corpse unburied.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
iskander

Post by iskander »

You know what the earliest Christians said? you are worse than Giuseppe !!!

Re: Why Jesus had to have brothers and a lot of sisters

• Post by Secret Alias » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 am
You are an imbecile. That's the most essential thing to know about you. Since I remind you of that every day I am not misrepresenting you in any way, shape or form. You are not a scholar, you are not a thinker. You are a self-centered, self-serving imbecile. Your "theories" aren't theories at all but desperate daydreams born from misrepresentation, misunderstanding and a low intellect. I imagine you as an ugly troll furiously scribbling under a dark, wet bridge. Go
Last edited by iskander on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Thanks. Always a pleasure to engage mental patients from the comfort of my own armchair.
iskander

Post by iskander »

There you go , with your silly clichés.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Why is it so difficult for you to see that Paul is referring to Deuteronomy 21:23 in Galatians 3:13? You obviously have mental issues.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If Paul is referring to Deuteronomy 21:23 which is certain then the next question is whether John 19:31 is a reference to the same scripture:
Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath
I am certain that it is. But this connection between John 19:31 and Galatians 3:13 in my mind can't be accidental. You may disagree. But you can't argue that thinking there is a connection is irrational or without merit.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Galatians 3 :13 explains a particular event as the negation of a bad law. Paul is saying that the current Penal Code curse the victim and he put his two fingers up to the gallery in response.

You are a verbose imbecile.
Last edited by iskander on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Stupid argument which has no support from any witness dating back to Paul. Ignoring your point let go back to what I wrote and go one step further and note that John 19:31 echoes a pattern in the other 'synoptic' gospels - viz. a deliberate attempt to prevent Jesus from dying on what would be considered the Sabbath. Why? Because it plays into the original reading of Deuteronomy 21:23 in the context of the gospel narrative - namely that Christ's death on the Sabbath of Passover had great significance. What was the significance? The Jews crucified Christ on the grounds that he worked while they themselves labored to bring the body off the cross and into a tomb. This is where my interpretation has legitimate questions. Did the earliest readers of the gospel count the darkness that occurred when Christ was crucified as the beginning of the Sabbath. While I can't prove that they did I think that if 'sixth hour' was originally taken to mean 6 pm (that is that the earth went 'suddenly dark' at his crucifixion) then yes certainly, the Sabbath had started. Even if this wasn't true there are ground for thinking or at least arguing that the darkness represented the start of a new day. At the very least, the emphasis in all the gospels that Jesus died on the Preparation Day seems to conflict with Paul's 'Christ was made a curse for us.'
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

At least I have determined that you are likely a Spanish speaker. Not that I should care so much about your identity. But it is more interesting than reading your posts which tend to be worthless at the best of times.