Developing a Spreadsheet to Uncover the Hebrew Gospel

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
stephan happy huller

Re: Developing a Spreadsheet to Uncover the Hebrew Gospel

Post by stephan happy huller »

Actually as I read James R. Edwards' book, The Hebrew Gospel and the Development of the Synoptic Tradition I realize suddenly that my Marcion idea isn't as crazy as it might sound at first. The notion that Luke has a Hebrew source is a very old idea. Hebrew idioms leap off every page of this gospel for example: “bring out your name bad” (Lk 6:22), “the appearance of his face was altered” (Lk 9:29), “lay these things in your ears” (Lk 9:54), and “he set his face to go” (Lk 9:51).

Edwards begins by citing and discussing various references to the Hebrew Gospel over the course of the last 9 centuries. These references are found in the first appendix (pp 263-291). He follows up by citing quotations from the Hebrew Gospel (the full text of these citations is found in the footnotes of the second chapter pp. 44-96). Then he defines the Hebrew Gospel in the third chapter. In the fourth chapter, Edwards directs the reader to the Gospel of Luke, where he treats the Semitisms in that gospel. The full text of these citations is found in the second and third appendices (pp 292-335). He decides that Luke’s source must be a Hebrew source and not an Aramaic source in the fifth chapter. Edwards’s list of nine classifications of Hebraisms in Luke’s gospel seem pretty convincing so far that Luke’s source is not Aramaic
Everyone loves the happy times
ghost

Re: Developing a Spreadsheet to Uncover the Hebrew Gospel

Post by ghost »

stephan happy huller wrote:I just noticed this in Luke 14:5:

And he said to them, “Which of you, having a son or an ox that has fallen into a well on a Sabbath day, will not immediately pull him out?”

Why would the Greek have 'son' here?
The Latin says "asinus". "Asinus" is sometimes codeword for Asinius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Asi ... l_40_BC%29