Traces of docetism in Herod's interest about Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Traces of docetism in Herod's interest about Jesus

Post by Giuseppe »

Herod said, “John I beheaded, but who is this about whom I hear such things?” And he sought to see him.

(Luke 9:9)

I had read too literally this verse, to mean that Herod desided simply to meet Jesus face to face.

Really, Herod could very well see Jesus face to face, and in any moment he desired. Only, Herod was unable to see Jesus really, ''in the flesh''.

Because Jesus was without a human body.

This hypothesis is corroborated by what Herod gives to Jesus when finally he met him: ''an elegant robe''. By doing so, he persuaded himself that Jesus had a human body, like everyone else.

Luke 23:8-12
8 When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform a sign of some sort. 9 He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer. 10 The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him. 11 Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate. 12 That day Herod and Pilate became friends—before this they had been enemies.

Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
GakuseiDon

Re: Traces of docetism in Herod's interest about Jesus

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:57 am
Herod said, “John I beheaded, but who is this about whom I hear such things?” And he sought to see him.

(Luke 9:9)

I had read too literally this verse, to mean that Herod desided simply to meet Jesus face to face.

Really, Herod could very well see Jesus face to face, and in any moment he desired. Only, Herod was unable to see Jesus really, ''in the flesh''.

Because Jesus was without a human body.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It's also so simple. All you have to do is believe.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 pm It's also so simple. All you have to do is believe.
The essential Martin Luther in seven words, CliffsNotes' abridged version
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift