Why the rapid solitude of Jesus was made a clue of adoptionism

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why the rapid solitude of Jesus was made a clue of adoptionism

Post by Giuseppe »

So Marcion concluded:
While the Voice was speaking
Jesus was alone.

(Luke 9:36)

Note: the Voice didn't stop before that Jesus was alone.

In Mark, instead, the Voice stopped and only after Jesus was found alone:

7 Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!”

8 Suddenly, when they looked around, they no longer saw anyone with them except Jesus.

This does a enormous difference.

In Marcion, Jesus has to be alone while the Voice is still speaking so that the reader can realize that only him is who has to be listened, in opposition to the demiurgical Moses and Elijiah. His solitude marks bluntly his power and superiority against the Demiurge.

To reduce a so powerful Jesus, "Mark" (editor) distinguished temporally the Voice and the rapid solitude of Jesus (by an interval of time), so that in this way Jesus's solitude becomes a sign of the his being rapidly abandoned by the previous divine possession and so a sign of the his being a mere man distinct from the spiritual Christ (separationism).

Evidently, a Jesus mere man was more convenient, for the banal judaizer Mark, against the excessive unique power of the marcionite Jesus.

In short words: the solitude of a mere man was useful to judaize the otherwise solitude of a god more powerful than the demiurge, the god of the Jews.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Why the rapid solitude of Jesus was made a clue of adoptionism

Post by Giuseppe »

And don't think that it is only me to argue that clue of separationism about Mark 9:8.
Please read here:

They saw only Jesus with themselves

The famous transfiguration scene has Jesus taking Peter, James and John up to a high mountain. There these three disciples are kept on the outer as they see Jesus socializing with the angelic Elijah and Moses. God comes down to join this elite and booms out to the disciples that the one who has been accompanying them has been none other than his very own Son.

But then when the cloud lifts and Elijah and Moses disappear, Mark, poignant with irony or the theme of misidentification once again, says that the disciples
looked around, [and] they saw no one any more, but only Jesus with themselves. (Mark 8:8)
No-one here any more. Only Jesus is left here with us.

I don’t know how much this interpretation depends upon the nuances of the English translation. So I’m not staking a case on it. But it does appear an interesting possibility. This is another possible case where the disciples can only see “the son of man”. Not the Son of God who is actually possessing that particular “son of man”.

https://vridar.org/2009/11/27/when-a-no ... possessed/

Neil wrote it in the year 2009. I have only noted the strange particular in Marcion: the Voice is still speaking when Jesus is left alone.

Do 2 + 2: who comes first, Mark or Marcion, here?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.