Cleverly Devised Myths --- 2 Peter 1:16

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Re: Cleverly Devised Myths --- 2 Peter 1:16

Post by robert j »

Now Back to 2 Peter and the Valentinian Heresy

To set the stage, here are a few statements from the OP about 2 Peter ---
robert j wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:36 pm … [in 2 Peter] what “cleverly devised myths (μύθοις)” (1:16) and what “destructive heresies” (2:1) and what “fabricated words” (2:3) was the author attacking?

I think the answer is found in other relatively late NT texts ---
… so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to give heed to myths (μύθοις) and endless genealogies (γενεαλογίαις), which bring speculations rather than God's stewardship … (1 Timothy 1:3-4)

The warning against “myths and endless genealogies” provides the clue here …

... I think the complex cosmology of the Christian Valentinians … provides [the best] fit here for the myths and endless genealogies and for fabricated words.

... I think the “cleverly devised myths” (μύθοις)” in 2 Peter 1:16 --- along with the polemics on heresies in chapter 2 --- are best interpreted in light of similar attacks in the Pastorals. All attacks on the myths and genealogies of heretics.
In Against the Valentinians, in Latin and attributed to Tertullian, the author clearly associated the complex cosmology of the Valentinians with the polemic in 1 Timothy 1:3-4 ---

PastoralsAgainst the Valentinians ***
… so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to give heed to myths (μύθοις) and endless genealogies (γενεαλογίαις), which bring speculations rather than God's stewardship … (1 Timothy 1:3-4).. if someone knowledgeable in our faith comes to these tales and immediately finds so many names of Aeons, so many marriages, so many offspring, so many dooms, so many adventures, joys, sorrows of a scattered and fragmentary godhead, will he hesitate then and there to call these the "myths and endless genealogies" which the apostle's inspiration had already condemned … (chapter 3)

There are other parallels between Against the Valentinians and the Pastorals and 2 Peter that could be highlighted here. Here’s an interesting example with 2 Peter ---

The transfiguration scene in 2 Peter (1:16-19) bears little resemblance to the versions found in the synoptic New Testament Gospels viewtopic.php?f=3&t=598. The 2 Peter author cast the event in terms of a Mystery-Religion ritual, an experiential-sharing with the divine. The scene is cleverly introduced with the Greek term epoptai (ἐπόπται), typically translated in bibles as "eyewitness". But in an historical context, the word was used primarily as a technical term in the non-Christian Eleusinian Mysteries, widespread in the eastern Mediterranean at the time. The term was used to designate advanced initiates who had attained esoteric knowledge. This is the only instance in the Christian bible where this word is used.

The author of Against the Valentinians associated the Eleusinian Mysteries with the practices of the Valentinians as a polemic against a long initiation period, using the Latin epoptas. And shortly after, the author offered a direct conceptual link between the Valentinians and the Eleusinian Mysteries.

2 PeterAgainst the Valentinians, chapter 1
For we have not made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ having followed out cleverly devised myths (μύθοις), but having been eyewitnesses (ἐπόπται, epoptai, advanced initiates) of His majesty. (2 Peter 1:16)

[The author of 2 Peter made an Eleusinian rite into a Christian lure ... then attacked the Valentinians]
The Valentinians, as everyone knows, are the most commonly encountered sect of heretics, most common because they are mostly apostates from the true religion, quite willing to invent myths (fabulas) ...

In just the same way concerning the Eleusinian mysteries … make entry difficult and perform long initiation rites before they accept the devotee (epoptas) …

These people make the Eleusinian rites into Valentinian lures, sacred only because of their great silence, heavenly only because of their concealment.

Though the Pastorals are somewhat of a "grab-bag" and encompass a broader focus, I find these parallels as no surprise in that I see the authors of the Pastorals, 2 Peter, and Against the Valentinians as doctrinal compadres.

robert j

*** translation by Mark T. Riley, 1971
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Very interesting parallels, Robert. Thanks.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

robert j wrote:
The transfiguration scene in 2 Peter (1:16-19) bears little resemblance to the versions found in the synoptic New Testament Gospels ...
Is that right? They seem similar to me.

2 Peter 1:16-18:
For we did not follow cleverly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice from the Majestic Glory came to Him, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” And we ourselves heard this voice from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
Mark 9:2-9:
After six days, Jesus took with Him Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There He was transfigured before them. His clothes became radiantly white, brighter than any launderer on earth could bleach them. And Elijah and Moses appeared before them, talking with Jesus ...

Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is My beloved Son. Listen to Him!” Suddenly, when they looked around, they saw no one with them except Jesus.
Not surprisingly (from my point of view), 2 Peter 1:18 is even more in line with Matthew (which was the primary gospel used by Jewish Christians):

Mt. 17:5:
While Peter was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him!”
And I'm still having trouble following the idea that 2 Peter is condemning people who believed in "cleverly devised fables" rather than defending the idea that what 2 Peter claims to have witnessed (the power and coming of Jesus and his reception of honor and glory from God) aren't "cleverly devised fables" (as 2 Peter's opponents were charging).
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:51 pm Very interesting parallels, Robert.
Thanks Ben.
robert j

Post by robert j »

More 2 Peter and the Valentinian Heresy

My purpose in this thread (so far) is primarily two-fold;
1) To provide evidence that the attacks on heretics in 2 Peter were aimed primarily at Valentinians. And,
2) To provide evidence of doctrinal overlaps and similarities between the Patristic texts, the Pastorals, and 2 Peter.

Here are a few more examples ---

The Valentinian Heresy in Asia Minor ---

As already established, the author of Against the Valentinians clearly associated the complex cosmology of the Valentinians with the polemic on “myths and endless genealogies” in 1 Timothy 1:3-4. In addition, the author of 1 Timothy placed the heresies of “myths and endless genealogies” in Ephesus, which was located in the Roman province of Asia. The author of 2 Peter was addressed, if only indirectly, to 5 Roman provinces in Asia Minor, including the province of Asia.

PastoralsAgainst the Valentinians
Just as I urged you to remain in Ephesus … so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to give heed to myths and endless genealogies … (1 Timothy 1:3-4, attributed to Paul) ... if someone knowledgeable in our faith comes to these tales and immediately finds so many names of Aeons … so many offspring ... a scattered and fragmentary godhead, will he hesitate then and there to call these the "myths and endless genealogies" which the apostle's inspiration had already condemned … (chapter 3)

And 2 Peter ---
Beloved, this is now the second letter I am writing to you … (2 Peter 3:1)

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the elect sojourners of the dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia … (1 Peter 1:1)

Paul and His Crystal Ball ---

The table above can be expanded into a "four-way", bringing Irenaeus and 2 Peter into the mix. In both references in the Patristics, the authors attributed 1 Timothy to Paul. But the author of Against the Valentinians was careful to place "Paul's" statement in the past and characterize it as a foretelling of the future --- as an inspired anticipation.

Pastorals and 2 PeterPatristic Texts
… so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to give heed to myths and endless genealogies which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. (1 Timothy 1:3-4, attributed to Paul)

From 2 Peter ---
For we have not made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ having followed out cleverly devised myths (1:16) ... false teachers among you who will stealthily introduce destructive heresies (2:1) ... they will exploit you with fabricated words (2:3)
... if someone knowledgeable in our faith comes to these tales and immediately finds so many names of Aeons … so many offspring ... a scattered and fragmentary godhead, will he hesitate then and there to call these the "myths and endless genealogies" which the apostle's inspiration had already condemned even then when these heretical seeds were sprouting? (quas apostoli spiritus, his iam tunc pullulantibus seminibus haereticis, damnare praevenit?)… (Against the Valentinians, chapter 3)

The Valentinians ... quite willing to invent myths (fabulas) ... (Against the Valentinians, chapter 1, opening statement)

Inasmuch as certain men have set the truth aside, and bring in deceptive words (verba falsa) and endless genealogies (genealogias infinitas), which, as the apostle says, "minister questions rather than godly edifying which is in faith," and by means of their craftily-constructed plausibilities draw away the minds of the inexperienced and take them captive ... (Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Preface)

Apostasy ---

Here’s another parallel between 2 Peter and the Patristic texts. The Valentinians are prominently characterized as being "mostly apostates from the true religion" in the very first sentence of Against the Valentinians, attributed to Tertullian. And a similar claim is found in the Preface to Irenaeus' Against Heresies in his attack on the Valentinians. In 2 Peter, the error of apostasy is prominently attacked in the very first verse, and in the last verses, of chapter 2, the pericope aimed directly at the heresy.

2 PeterPatristic Texts
… there will be false teachers among you also, who will stealthily introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master having bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. (2 Peter 2:1)

[note: “Master” = Jesus Christ, see Jude 1:4]
[for the concept of being "bought" see 1 Corinthians 6:20 and 7:23]

For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to have turned from the holy commandment having been delivered to them. The thing true of the proverb has happened to them: "A dog having returned to its own vomit” … (2 Peter 2:21-22)

[worthy of note: a NT author being more of a dick than Tertullian]
They also overthrow the faith of many, by drawing them away, under a pretense of [superior] knowledge ... (Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Preface)

The Valentinians, as everyone knows, are the most commonly encountered sect of heretics, most common because they are mostly apostates from the true religion, quite willing to invent myths (fabulas) ... (Against the Valentinians, chapter 1, opening statement)

robert j
Last edited by robert j on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

I haven't given 1 Timothy (or the other Pastorals) much attention before (beyond its reference to Pilate and apparent references to Gnosticism). As I take a fresh look at it, I'm inclined to agree with you that it appears to be referring to Gnosticism, maybe even Valentinianism, particularly in 1:7:
They want to be teachers of the Law, but they do not understand what they are saying or that which they so confidently assert.

This reminds me of the Valentinian letter of Ptolemy to Flora. For example:
First, you must learn that the entire Law contained in the Pentateuch of Moses was not ordained by one legislator - I mean, not by God alone, some commandments are Moses', and some were given by other men. The words of the Savior teach us this triple division. The first part must be attributed to God alone, and his legislation; the second to Moses - not in the sense that God legislates through him, but in the sense that Moses gave some legislation under the influence of his own ideas; and the third to the elders of the people, who seem to have ordained some commandments of their own at the beginning. You will now learn how the truth of this theory is proved by the words of the Savior.

http://gnosis.org/library/flora.htm
And something stands out to me that I've never noticed before. 1 Timothy goes on to say in 1:8-11:
Now we know that the Law is good, if one uses it legitimately. We realize that law is not enacted for the righteous, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for killers of father or mother, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave traders and liars and perjurers, and for anyone else who is averse to sound teaching that agrees with the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.
This seems like a curious thing for someone purporting to be Paul to say. The Torah seems to be considered to still be in effect, "if one uses it legitimately."

Another thing is the reference to "the man Christ Jesus" in 2:5. I vaguely recall Doherty's argument regarding "man" references about Jesus, and while I feel like I gave Doherty and mythicism a fair and open minded shot, to me this and the other "man" reference I can think of (in 1 Cor. 15) strike me as meaning just that, that Jesus was a human being.

But what to make of the "if one uses it legitimately" remark? What do you suppose 1 Timothy has in mind here? I can't help but think it has something to do with what follows, that it is for "the lawless" (cf. 2 Pet. 2:7-8, 3:17 and 1 John 3:4), which to me sounds like it is directed at people who do not observe the Torah (whatever you want to call them).
Last edited by John2 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

My own view (apart from whatever 1 Timothy may mean) is that to use the Torah "legitimately" is to observe and teach it the way that Jesus did, like he says in Mt. 5:17-19:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

People can quibble all they like about "until everything is accomplished," but the bottom line is the underlined portion and Jesus' own conduct (such as observing Passover). I've never understood the argument that Jesus (at least in Mark, Matthew and Luke) "did away" with Torah observance, such as the Sabbath, because it seems clear to me that he simply has a different interpretation than the Pharisees of what constitutes "work" on the Sabbath, and in the case of divorce, if you go by Matthew he only forbids divorce "for any reason" (which the Pharisees allowed), not divorce per se. But even in Mark, he bases his opinion on the Torah (Gen. 1:27 and 2:24).

This to me seems like the meaning of the Torah being "sound teaching that agrees with the glorious gospel of the blessed God" (as per 1 Timothy above).