On the independent exorcist as example of ''Jesuophobe''

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

On the independent exorcist as example of ''Jesuophobe''

Post by Giuseppe »

Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,”...

(1 Cor 12:3)

Mark 9:38-41
38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Note the difference:
Paul is attacking the ''Jesuophobes'', these Christians who adored the his same Christ but didn't name him 'Jesus'.

''Mark'' (author) is co-opting these rival Christians. If they are recognized as Christians (i.e., adoring the same Christ adored by Mark, at least in the eyes of the outsiders), then, even if they curse Jesus (since they don't accept the name ''Jesus'' for Christ), even so, they are preparing the way for the Gospel Jesus.

This betrayes an evident desire of co-optation by the evangelist.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: On the independent exorcist as example of ''Jesuophobe''

Post by Giuseppe »

This apparent prima facie pride for someone who in the real History is scandalized by Jesus (and even curses Jesus), is fully at work also in the episode of the Baptizer.

The marcionite John the Baptist was scandalized by Jesus: another way to say that the marcionite John cursed Jesus.

So even if John was an angel ('' messenger'') of the creator (just as the angel preaching a different gospel of Gal 1:8), he has to be not followed by the true (marcionite) Christians and in the same time he is reflecting paradoxically, by the his opposition against Jesus, the glory of Jesus.

In the same way, even if the Independent Exorcist was not following Jesus (and in this measure he was going against Jesus), even so, he continues to reflect paradoxically the glory of Jesus.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.