No mention of Pilate in Festus's discourse of Acts 25 (and why this silence is surprising)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: No mention of Pilate in Festus's discourse of Acts 25 (and why this silence is surprising)

Post by Charles Wilson »

Giuseppe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 am The silence about Pilate is also found in Pliny the Younger.
DCHindley wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:56 am And how is Tacitus in "the same place" as Pilate? You mean here on earth? :cheeky:
Bingo!

2 people worthy of Study. The Proto-Empty Tomb story comes from these 2. Otho, Verginius Rufus, the Empty Mausoleum at Brixellum. All there.
Giuseppe wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 am To be clear: I intend to imply that, if you don't believe that Acts is very reliable as history, this argument doesn't make sense. I also intend to imply that, if you do believe that Acts is very reliable as history, then this argument really doesn't make sense.
I mean to imply precisely the opposite in both the cases.
If Acts is pure fiction, then what is shown above proves that the author denies the usual historicist excuse (“Jesus was obscure so no wonder about Festus's ignorance about his crucifixion”) and in this sense it is still useful against historicity.

If there is some historical nucleus behind that episode of Acts, then the Argument from Silence is strong: should really I explain the reason, Peter?
The Historicist Arguments in re: Acts are that, once again, "Existence is not a Predicate" and "From the Fact that the Jesus Stories were written from Sources, it dies not follow that the Source Stories were about 'Jesus'".

Acts is not about the "Early Church", except insofar as the stories are about the Star-Struck 12th Legion and Mucianus and the Ascension of the Flavians as the New, Transcendent "Church" that replaces the Julio-Claudians.

THIS Historicity is not even remotely touched by Giuseppe's so-called arguments.

"...And now...Back to Space Ghost..."

CW
Giuseppe

Re: No mention of Pilate in Festus's discourse of Acts 25 (and why this silence is surprising)

Post by Giuseppe »

Charles Wilson wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:59 am CW
Mark 7:27
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Thank you once again, Giuseppe, for helping me prove a point.

CW

PS: Attention, PK. I realize that we're not Banning Giuseppe. OK. Fine.
But pictures of Frou-Frou dogs? That's going too far!!!