Ehrman's "How Jesus Became a God" is now out.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Ehrman's "How Jesus Became a God" is now out.

Post by maryhelena »

ficino wrote:Just having read what you posted above, even if the bones are Antigonus', it's hard for me to see how burial of an executed king would serve as a paradigm of treatment of corpses of other executed people. My first impression is that, once again, inerrantists have to rely on "it might after all be true" arguments.

Agreed! Crucified itinerant carpenters are not likely to be buried in any rich man's tomb....

I just find it interesting that these historicists are turning to Antigonus history...(I am, of course, interested in Antigonus himself....)

And if a rich man's tomb is the issue for the burial of the gospel Jesus - then, like the above historicists turning to history for their justification of the gospel story - one can do likewise, and turn once more to history for an explanation of how a rich man's tomb became part of that gospel story.
Ehrman:

There are numerous reasons for doubting the tradition of Jesus’s burial by Joseph. For one thing, it is hard to make historical sense of this tradition just within the context of Mark’s narrative. Joseph’s identification as a respected member of the Sanhedrin should immediately raise questions.

Ehrman, Bart D. (2014-03-25). How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee (p. 152). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
And those questions should relate to the burial of Philip the Tetrarch - re the Josephan writer placing that burial around 34 c.e.
Josephus: Ant. book 18

106 About this time Herod's brother Philip departed this life, in the twentieth year of the reign of Tiberius, after ruling Trachonitis and Gaulanitis and the Batanean nation for thirty seven years, with moderation and in an easy-going style. 107 He spent all his time in the area assigned to him, making his rounds with a few chosen friends. The throne on which he sat in judgment went with him on the circuit, and when anyone met him who needed his help, he made no delay, but wherever it might be he soon had his tribunal set up and sat and heard the case, penalising the guilty and aquitting those who were unjustly accused. 108 He died at Julias, and was brought to the tomb he had built for himself in advance, and buried with great pomp. As he left behind no children, Tiberius took his territory and joined it to the province of Syria, but ordered that the tributes collected in his tetrachy should be held on deposit.
(my bolding)

(I uphold the idea of a literary composite gospel JC - a literary figure that allows for historical events to be reflected in the gospel JC story. i.e. fuse together the Antigonus crucifixion with the new tomb that Philip had built for himself - and one gets very close to the gospel pseudo-historical JC story....)
Last edited by maryhelena on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Exactly. A king could hardly be called a typical "criminal."
steve43

Post by steve43 »

LOL.

Helen, you are quoting from Josephus to prove a point about Jesus being a literary figure, but Josephus mentions Jesus twice in Antiquities as being a real figure.

Can't have it both ways.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

steve43 wrote:LOL.

Helen, you are quoting from Josephus to prove a point about Jesus being a literary figure, but Josephus mentions Jesus twice in Antiquities as being a real figure.

Can't have it both ways.
Haha - the Josephan writer is no better than those gospel writers - writing pseudo-history alongside history.... ;)
W.B. Yeats
steve43

Post by steve43 »

So where is your integrity?

You reject a source on some issues, but accept it on others.

What's the point?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

steve43 wrote:So where is your integrity?

What's the point?
Sources have to be verified not taken at face value.
W.B. Yeats
ghost

Post by ghost »

Is it possible that "Paul" is Flavius?
steve43

Post by steve43 »

How can you verify Josephus?

Josephus IS our only source for much of Jewish history.

And, regarding Jesus as being real. Josephus is verified by the New Testament regarding Jesus, or the other way around.

But I would assume you don't accept that verification.

And if you split up the New Testament into separate books, all five Gospels and most of the letters verify Jesus existed, and so verify Josephus on that point.

I bet you have an answer to that.

Waiting.
stevencarrwork

Post by stevencarrwork »

steve43 wrote:So where is your integrity?

What's the point?
People with integrity believe everything somebody says, if they believe one thing that person says?

If somebody once tells the truth, everything they say should then be accepted without question?

How does that work?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

steve43 wrote:How can you verify Josephus?
Like any other ancient source - seek out other sources to support anything that the Josephan writer wrote. If you don't find verification - then, at the very least, put a big question mark in the margin..... :)

Josephus IS our only source for much of Jewish history.
All the more to question what he has to say....

And, regarding Jesus as being real. Josephus is verified by the New Testament regarding Jesus, or the other way around.

But I would assume you don't accept that verification.

And if you split up the New Testament into separate books, all five Gospels and most of the letters verify Jesus existed, and so verify Josephus on that point.

I bet you have an answer to that.

Waiting.
And the answer is......................... :yawn:

If you want to propose a historical gospel JC, of whatever variant, then please start a thread and lay out your theory......
W.B. Yeats