Is Pilate an explorer?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Is Pilate an explorer?

Post by Giuseppe »

There is a particular feature of Pilate that would surprise. He alone seems to work as an objective explorer, an impartial inquirer, a serious searcher of the truth.

This feature is already found in Mark, but it is made surprisingly explicit in John with the famous question: quid est veritas?

it is as if, in an otherwise obscure affair, Pilate's function is to throw a beam of light to illuminate something, even if - obviously - he does not explain anything.

This feature is made quasi plastic by the deliberate contrast beetwen the night - during which the sinedrites would like to kill Jesus on the place - and the sunrise, with the entrance of Pilate. Someway, Pilate has to bear light on the sinister affair. So there is some link between the sunrise and Pilate. A torch is lit.

The function of Pilate is someway educational.

I found a partial answer of this educational, illuminating function of Pilate in the following words of Marc Stephane:

How will Mark succeed, with such a public, to illustrate the Passion of Jesus? This is the center of the Christian religion; it is the center of the Gospel. But too much just here appears the Loisy's expression of the "original poverty" of the Gospel tradition (84). What do Paul's writings, that is, verses 7-8 of chapter 2 of the 1st Epistle to the Corinthians, give to Mark, and even the corresponding passages of the Ascension of Isaiah? (85). We can say, to the letter, a single expression: Jesus Christ was crucified (86).
But if in the middle of the 1st century, in the neighboring regions of Judea, which still has an active national existence, the crucifixion of the Son of God means the hanging of the corpse after the killing, raising a "scandal" for the Israelites or Christian Jews respectful of the prescriptions of the Bible and the curse of Deuteronomy, what images can the Greek word stauros or the Latin word crux awaken in the readers or listeners of Mark? (87).
They are people who have never known the religious penal laws of Judea - if they are pagan converts - or who have forgotten them - if they are ancient Israelites. The crucifixion for these men, threatened by the possible inquiries of Rome's justice and police, is the Roman torment of death on the cross. To respond to their thoughts and expectations, Jesus Christ, the object of Christian worship, must have perished in this way. And the suggestion is all the stronger because, as the Epistle to the Philippians 2:6-8 proclaimed, Jesus Christ, obedient to God, took the figure not only of a man but of a slave, whose supreme punishment, for him too, was death on the cross(88): a conception, moreover, it may be remarked, very different from the evangelical presentation, which makes the Jewish prophet Jesus a carpenter, but a man free.
Thus, in order to render the illustration plausible for a Roman milieu, the death on the cross was essential, and perhaps for Marc himself, a Romanized Jew, the image was natural.
And in such an atmosphere, it is also necessary to make the circumstances of the illustration plausible. We are no longer in the Jewish circles of the eastern regions of the Roman Empire, dominated by the tradition of the Bible and the Hellenistic myth, but by a positive people, imbued with paganism and legal training, for whom the religious belief must materialize.
Under these conditions, death on the cross of God made man must correspond to a real fact, ordered by a Roman magistrate, and as, at the end of the first century, the separation becomes irremediable between the Christians and the orthodox Jews, the trial is associated with a plot of the Jews against Jesus Christ.

(La Passion de Jésus, Dervy, 1959, p. 201-203, my translation and my bold)

(I would question, apart from the OT: is the expression positive people” for the Romans, as opposed to Jews before the understanding of the Passion of Jesus, a racist expression? I mean: is it licit as expression, as allusion to the Romans as opposed to the Jews? )

So, it seems that Pilate was introduced to give light, for Gentile readers, to an otherwise obscure scene:
the enigmatic scene of ''Jews'' alone crucifying Jesus.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Is Pilate an explorer?

Post by Giuseppe »

Other answers are possible, for the function of Pilate as bearer of light on an (otherwise dark) affair.

The more persuasive answer is in my view that given by P. L. Couchoud-R. Stahl, "Jesus Barabbas," Hibbert Journal 25 (1927), even if the same thesis may be refined better.

Without Pilate, the reader doesn't know that Jesus is the guy called by the people as “king of the Jews”. Without Pilate, the reader doesn't know that Jesus is morally superior to a rival "Son of Father" (''Barabbas'). Without Pilate, the reader is left in the doubt about the answer given by Jesus to the high priest:

Mark 14:61-62
61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.
Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?”
62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Was Jesus sincere in that answer?

The doubt is raised (not only by Mark 13:6 but also) by a rival Christian posing falsely as Christ himself before the Jews and only before them:

This man, then, was glorified by many as if he were a god; and he taught that it was himself who appeared among the Jews as the Son, but descended in Samaria as the Father while he came to other nations in the character of the Holy Spirit. He represented himself, in a word, as being the loftiest of all powers, that is, the Being who is the Father over all, and he allowed himself to be called by whatsoever title men were pleased to address him.

Against Heresies (Book I, Chapter 23)

So the function of Pilate is explicative:

Pilate secures the reader that Jesus is really the “king of the Jews”, i.e.,the Christ in a davidic version.
Pilate secures the reader that the Jewish Jesus is the hero, not the gnostic 'Son of Father', i.e. Simon Magus, who escaped to the cross despite of his posing as Jewish Christ.
Pilate secures the reader that Jesus was crucified really.

Does this interpretation need of two versions of Mark, i.e. a proto-Mark lacking Pilate and the our Mark with Pilate?

I don't think more so insofar the contrast night/day just at the entrance of Pilate in the story is too much impossible as coincidence. It is a deliberate contrast: Pilate enters to clear (just as the light of the sunrise) once for all who is really Jesus. If Jesus receives a Roman crucifixion, then, in that context, he could only be the presumed ''king of the Jews'' - the davidic Christ -, and not a rival ''Son of Father'' sent by an unknown deity.

In this sense Pilate is the advocate of the evangelist ''Mark'': his function is uniquely to confirm, in the eyes of the Gentile Law and of the ''History'', the real identity of Jesus as the ''king of the Jews''. Doubts about it are not more allowed.

But then the claims of Simon Magus (about a Son of Father posing falsely as Christ before the Jews) precede the Gospel of Mark and didn't follow it.

So who introduces the idea that the Son of an alien God “was killed by the Jews” (but only apparently) evil servants of the Demiurge, were the anti-nomian Gnostics.

This explains why in the Talmud there is no mention of Pilate or of Romans in any occurrence of a Jesus-like figure.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 pm Other answers are possible, for the function of Pilate as bearer of light on an (otherwise dark) affair.
Could it be that somehow Pilate was "a pilot"? Planes bear lights. I know that Pilate comes from "javelin", but javelins look like planes without wings. And planes fly through the air! It is all coming together...

If you look at this image, you can easily visualize Pontius Pilate in the cockpit, with Satan as his co-pilot!

It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:43 ama serious searcher of the truth.
I don't know what term you're translating as 'explorer', but I believe you're looking for the word 'philosopher' (in a non-professional sense), someone with a serious concern for knowing the truth. You could even use the term 'seeker', although it feels a little New Age in flavor. The word 'explorer' is more like adventurer, a Lewis and Clark or Captain Cook kind of thing. I think this is why you're getting mocked -- although, sure, a Pilate that would say "Jesus is my copilot" is a funny take on Pilate. ;)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:03 am
I don't know what term you're translating as 'explorer', but I believe you're looking for the word 'philosopher' (in a non-professional sense), someone with a serious concern for knowing the truth. You could even use the term 'seeker', although it feels a little New Age in flavor. The word 'explorer' is more like adventurer, a Lewis and Clark or Captain Cook kind of thing. I think this is why you're getting mocked -- although, sure, a Pilate that would say "Jesus is my copilot" is a funny take on Pilate. ;)
Neither a philosopher nor an adventurer.
I had in mind this, really:

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:18 am
That's a detective.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

I wonder: who were the Gnostics (allegorized by Simon Magus) adoring a “Son of Father” posing falsely as Christ before the Jews (not before Pilate)?

“Barabbas” is a killer insofar also Cain was a killer, and Cain was adored by the gnostic Cainites (another name for the Naassenes) as first rebel against the Demiurge. “The” revolt of Barabbas was the same of Cain, against the his brother.

The NH work known as 'Revelation of Adam' (dated by some in the end of 1° century, just in the time when ''Mark'' was composed) may give us the answer about why the Jews became the killers of the “Son of Father” for these Gnostics:

Once again, for the third time, the illuminator of knowledge will pass by in great glory, in order to leave (something) of the seed of Noah and the sons of Ham and Japheth - to leave for himself fruit-bearing trees. And he will redeem their souls from the day of death. For the whole creation that came from the dead earth will be under the authority of death. But those who reflect upon the knowledge of the eternal God in their heart(s) will not perish. For they have not received spirit from this kingdom alone, but they have received (it) from a [...] eternal angel. [...] illuminator [...] will come upon [...] that is dead [...] of Seth. And he will perform signs and wonders in order to scorn the powers and their ruler.
Then the god of the powers will be disturbed, saying, "What is the power of this man who is higher than we?" Then he will arouse a great wrath against that man. And the glory will withdraw and dwell in holy houses which it has chosen for itself. And the powers will not see it with their eyes, nor will they see the illuminator either. Then they will punish the flesh of the man upon whom the holy spirit came.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/adam.html

The Demiurge could provoke a “great wrath against that man” only among men, and more probably only between the same adorers of the demiurge: the Jews.

So, while the Gnostics were euhemerizing independently (from Christians) their “Son of Father” (not named Jesus nor Christ) as a man killed by the Jews, “Mark” did the rest of the euhemerization: he christianized the Gnostic rival figure of this “Son of Father”, by calling him “Jesus” and “Christ” (essentially judaizing it, along the lines of Paul).

And introducing finally Pilate.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:18 am

According to the Pilate Stone he exercised authority. Hence. .
how-long-to-become-pilates-instructor.png
how-long-to-become-pilates-instructor.png (391.22 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
Additionally, Pontius Pilate pronounced in latin sounds like Pont-luz. . .luz is light in spanish which is lux in latin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xejYaXISLSQ