Where Paul has to go

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Where Paul has to go

Post by Giuseppe »

(I find something here, but I don't know precisely what)

The brothers want that Jesus goes to Judea, not in Galilee.

John 7:
7 After this, Jesus went around in Galilee. He did not want to go about in Judea because the Jewish leaders there were looking for a way to kill him. 2 But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, 3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. 4 No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” 5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

6 Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. 8 You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” 9 After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee.

10 However, after his brothers had left for the festival, he went also, not publicly, but in secret

While in Galatians 2 the Pillars concede (reluctantly?) that Paul goes to gentiles, not in Jerusalem.

Paul was unknown in Judea. So also the johannine Jesus
goes to Judea "not publicly, but in secret".

What does it mean "going to Judea" ? It is clear: judaization.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Where Paul has to go

Post by Giuseppe »

This story of Jesus tempted by the his brothers is also similar to the story of the temptation in the wilderness. Only that in this case the tempters are Judaizers, not Satan. The temptation is to be the traditional Jewish Messiah for the Jews. While in the wilderness the temptation is to be king of all the nations.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So the brothers in John 7 want that Jesus goes openly to be killed, in Judea. As king of the Jews.

The Pillars want that Paul was known in Judea, to be stoned (so also Acts in an implicit way). As persecutor of the Jewish-Christians.

The accusation against the brothers is that they want the death of Jesus behind the pretext of a his worship as crucified "king of the Jews". In this case who should be embarrassed by the cross are just the brothers!
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So in the story of the temptation in the wilderness, we can infer that Jesus followed the Satanic temptation (becoming adored by all the nations) but not publicly (as Satan desired) but secretly ("truly this man was the son of god!").