The Skeptical Critical Commentary - Gospel of Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
schillingklaus

Re: The Skeptical Critical Commentary - Gospel of Mark

Post by schillingklaus »

Markan Prioritism is the result of a lack of criticism and scepticism.
JoeWallack

1:8

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_tuOS-iZ4

1:8

Strong's Greek English Morphology Textual Criticism
1473 ἐγὼ egō I PPro-N1S -
907 ἐβάπτισα ebaptisa baptized V-AIA-1S -
4771 ὑμᾶς hymas you PPro-A2P -
5204 ὕδατι, hydati with water; N-DNS -
846 αὐτὸς autos He PPro-NM3S -
1161 δὲ de however Conj -
907 βαπτίσει baptisei will baptize V-FIA-3S -
4771 ὑμᾶς hymas you PPro-A2P -
1722 ‹ἐν› en with Prep -
4151 Πνεύματι Pneumati [the] Spirit N-DNS -
40 Ἁγίῳ. Hagiō Holy. Adj-DNS καί πυρί][and fire] (see Matthew 3:12; Luke 3:16) P[6th C] 1195 1241 l44m syrh*[7th C]

JW:
For Skeptical Textual Criticism the most important categories of evidence are Theme and Style. Regarding the candidate for originality at the end of 1:8, and fire, there does not appear to be any other verse in GMark that connects with that and specifically "Mark's" use of the word is only Chapter 9 with the unquenchable fire and the hot irony that people in Hell will be "salted"(preserved) with fire. In "Mark's" spiritual diechotomy world it ironically balances/reverses that the holy spirit gives eternal life and whatever is the opposite gives eternal death. Thus no clear theme/style for the use of "fire" here.

The star of the Textual support for fire is "Matthew" and "Luke". But they have a lot of surrounding agreement against GMark which then makes it look like Q is their source for "fire". The other textual support for "fire" can be explained by assimilation to "Matthew" and "Luke".

The Skeptical Critical Commentary thus judges "and fire" as an addition.

Joseph

The New Porphyry
JoeWallack

X-Curses 1:4-1:8 Chiasm?

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:
Per The Skeptical Critical Commentary the first Paulicope in GMark is 1:4-1:8. It's generally accepted that GMark is Chrestfilled with chiasms. Enough time has now passed since Chrest's imminent return that most readers of this unholy Forum have never heard of The Legendary Vorkosigan. Well here is an introduction to Vorkmeister, The King of The CJieswm (Chiasms):

Historical Commentary on the Gospel of Mark

The Vorkmeister's ability to squeeze out chias Jews throughout GMark is so good it could make Neil Godfree turn Jew. Yet Vork
confesses that he is unable to yank a chiasm out of 1:1-1:8. Well how bout 1:4-1:8?:

Verse Theme
4 John came, who baptized in the wilderness and preached the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins.
    • 5 And there went out unto him all the country of Judaea, and all they of Jerusalem; And they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.
        • 6 And John was clothed with camel`s hair, and [had] a leathern girdle about his loins, and did eat locusts and wild honey.
    • 7 And he preached, saying, There cometh after me he that is mightier than I, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
8 I baptized you in water; But he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit.
-
John baptizing & coming

Confessing

John parallels Elijah

Confessing

Jesus baptizing & going

Joseph

The New Porphyry