Did Tacitus confuse the demiurge Ptahil with the historical Pilate?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Did Tacitus confuse the demiurge Ptahil with the historical Pilate?

Post by Giuseppe »

I read on jstor the academic article The Mandaic God Ptahil by Carl H. Kraeling, where a possible ethymology for the name is (in old Aramaic) "God opened" (i.e. the "egg" of live), to mean the creator.

Now, Ptahil is the evil demiurge who is meant in this mandean legend as the killer of Jesus. Wrongly, this same figure is confused with Pilate even by modern scholars, despite of the his being named with a mythological title ("king of the world"):
Giuseppe wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 am
So Horsley:

In Right Ginza 1, 1 and 2, 1, Pilate is called "Paltus malka d-alma" ("Pilate, king of the world").

https://books.google.it/books?id=ncuQxl ... te&f=false

What if Tacitus heard the Gnostic legend of the demiurge Ptahil who killed the gnostic Chrestos, and confused him with the historical Pilate?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Charles Wilson

Re: Did Tacitus confuse the demiurge Ptahil with the historical Pilate?

Post by Charles Wilson »

"I'm just one hundred and one, five months and a day."
"I can't believe that!" said Alice.
"Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes."
Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Tacitus, Giuseppe?!?? TACITUS?

Best to you, Giuseppe...

CW
Geocalyx

Re: Did Tacitus confuse the demiurge Ptahil with the historical Pilate?

Post by Geocalyx »

Here's a crazy thought:
In Egyptian mythology, Ptah (/pəˈtɑː/; Ancient Egyptian: ptḥ, probably vocalized as Pitaḥ in ancient Egyptian) is the demiurge of Memphis, god of craftsmen and architects.
Coincidence, I'm sure! Carry on.