Why Pilate? Because of Hebrew "PLT"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Why Pilate? Because of Hebrew "PLT"

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 am Just a rule of thumb Giuseppe.

1. allegorical or symbolic arguments are hard to make convincing unless they have some history behind them (i.e. someone besides you who thought of it)
2. play on words need to be exact as possible (i.e. the yod in Pilate is extremely problematic)
3. the meaning of symbolic arguments have to be exact (i.e. that pelet means 'escape' not as you think 'to deliver someone else)
4. there has to be some overriding 'sense' to what you are suggesting.

None of these criteria have been met.
1)Before me, someone has already seen that Pilate is the guy who causes the evil goat to run away in the wilderness and kills the good goat (as per Leviticus 16).

2) Pilate is too much portrayed in the act of who causes X to escape [X being Barabbas], apolusein occurs a lot of times in the Barabbas episode, as the action that has to be made by Pilate and only by him.

3) PALAT means at least in a particular OT passage "to cause a distint entity to escape". In this sense, it works perfectly with PiLaTe. Since Barabbas is the guy who escapes. Pilate is who moves Barabbas to escape. Pilate is a genuine "deliverance" for Barabbas.

4) the overriding sense is fully explained by Leviticus 16. Barabbas is the evil goat and Jesus is the good goat. Pilate, per PALAT, is simply the guy who moves the evil goat to escape in the wilderness, while he moves the good goat to be killed.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Come on buddy. palat means to escape.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

6403. palat ►
Strong's Concordance
palat: to escape
Original Word: פָלַט
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: palat
Phonetic Spelling: (paw-lat')
Definition: to escape
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. root
Definition
to escape
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

PYLTWS
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

BTW, do the Romans have anything to do with this? After all:
"The surname is from Latin Pīlātus (“a Roman cognomen”, literally “armed with javelins”), from pilum (“javelin, pestle”), of unknown ultimate origin."

"You'd better escape on your donkey real fast, Barabbas, or you're gonna get a bunch of javelins up your ass..."

Doesn't have that Mythicist feel to it, does it?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

You see - imagination goes every which way. BTW in Syriac at least 'Pilate' retains the i/y:

ܦܝܠܛܘܣ = PYLTWS

The question is - why would a Hebrew reader of a Hebrew gospel or an Aramaic reader of an Aramaic gospel make a connection between PYLTWS and PLT? I just don't see it. The yod sticks out like a sore thumb. This is beyond all the other problems with the theory.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 am Come on buddy. palat means to escape.
accordingly, you should translate the Psalm 71:2 not as:
"Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save"

...but as:
"Deliver me in thy righteousness, and escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save"

in other words, according to your stupid blind opposition, the Psalmist wants that God escapes and not that God makes him to escape. Really? Really????!!! :consternation:
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

You're just so embarrassingly dumb.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:07 amPYLTWS
Or PLTWS for Pilate.

Just as PLKWS for Flaccus (of Philonic memory).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

No only PYLTWS