Help with Church Parent Works?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Rafael silva

Help with Church Parent Works?

Post by Rafael silva »

Does anyone know if there is a site that shows the quotes of Bible verses inside the works of parents of the church?
Secret Alias

Re: Help with Church Parent Works?

Post by Secret Alias »

I think you mean "Chuch Fathers"

http://www.biblindex.mom.fr
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am surprised that this obvious 'sexism' - i.e. Church FATHER - hasn't been corrected by the thought police yet. The question would obviously be - were there any Church Mothers AT ALL? Did any theological ideas come from women EVER? It would be interesting to write a history of female thinkers in theology. The rabbinic tradition has the same problem (except for Barbra Streisand in Yentl). I wonder if there will be a day avot will be changed.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Rafael silva

Post by Rafael silva »

How does this site exist any other besides this? Bring in quotes from church fathers.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 am I am surprised that this obvious 'sexism' - i.e. Church FATHER - hasn't been corrected by the thought police yet. The question would obviously be - were there any Church Mothers AT ALL? Did any theological ideas come from women EVER? It would be interesting to write a history of female thinkers in theology. The rabbinic tradition has the same problem (except for Barbra Streisand in Yentl). I wonder if there will be a day avot will be changed.
I read a paper recently by the evolutionary psychologist Harald A. Euler, where he explains that religion is basically an avenue of evolutionary sexual selection. Men are those who found religions, women are the ones impressed by it and doing the choosing. Here he explains what he means by this (article in German):

https://wgvdl.com/forum2/Info/RELIGION_PUBL.htm

This just as an aside.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 am I am surprised that this obvious 'sexism' - i.e. Church FATHER - hasn't been corrected by the thought police yet. The question would obviously be - were there any Church Mothers AT ALL? Did any theological ideas come from women EVER? It would be interesting to write a history of female thinkers in theology. The rabbinic tradition has the same problem (except for Barbra Streisand in Yentl). I wonder if there will be a day avot will be changed.
Hildegard of Bingen, Catherine of Siena, Teresa of Avila and Therese of Lisieux have been (relatively recently) recognised as doctors of the church.

Andrew Criddle
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Interesting. But none of these writers have any 'seminal' influence on Christianity. At best they are 'witnesses' or 'writers' but their lack of influence might account for them not denting the influence of the name Church FATHER.