Quote from Church Fathers on Luke 3:16?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Rafael silva

Quote from Church Fathers on Luke 3:16?

Post by Rafael silva »

Can anyone help me find quotes from church fathers about lucas 3,16?
DCHindley

Re: Quote from Church Fathers on Luke 3:16?

Post by DCHindley »

Rafael silva wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:18 am Can anyone help me find quotes from church fathers about lucas 3,16?
What date range are you interested in? If up to the time of Augustine I suppose you could just use the indices of the various volumes of the Ante-Nicene, Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers series.

Barring that, if you are able to find the above volumes (CCEL has all 38 of them online, often omitting the indices) and dare torture your mind being exposed to such tedious reading, there must be a program or web page app available.

Chances are good that Mr. Alias or Mr. Smith can assist you as these two are always toying with interesting online tools.

DCH
Bernard Muller

Re: Quote from Church Fathers on Luke 3:16?

Post by Bernard Muller »

From http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/e ... luke3.html

Luke 3:16 - NIV, NAB - in Clement of Alexandria The Instructor Book II
As a witness for simplicity in shoes let John suffice, who avowed that "he was not worthy to unloose the latchet of the Lord's shoes."[252]

Luke 3:16 - NIV, NAB - in Clement of Alexandria Stromata Book V
while he, though speaking more perspicuously as no longer prophesying, but pointing out as now present, Him, who was proclaimed symbolically from the beginning, nevertheless said, "I am not worthy to loose the latchet of the Lord's shoe."[107]

Luke 3:16 - NIV, NAB - in Clement of Alexandria Stromata Book VII
But we say that the fire sanctifies[54]

Luke 3:16 - NIV, NAB - in A Treatise on Re-Baptism by an Anonymous Writer
I think that we have fully followed out the announcement of John the Baptist, whence we began our discourse, when he said to the Jews, "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance; but He who cometh after me is greater than I, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose: He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire."[60]

Luke 3:16 - NIV, NAB - in Pseudo-Gregory Thaumaturgus Fourth Homily
I acknowledge my own servitude, I proclaim Thy glorious greatness, I recognise Thy perfect lordship, I recognise my own perfect insignificance, I am not worthy to unloose the latchets of Thy shoes;[14]

Luke 3:16 - NIV, NAB - in Origen Commentary on John Book VI
"John preached, saying, There cometh after me He that is mightier than I, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose. I baptized you with water, but He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost." And Luke says[103]

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed