Why Pilate? Because of: “PâLaT bar-Abbas” : “Free Barabbas!”

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Why Pilate? Because of: “PâLaT bar-Abbas” : “Free Barabbas!”

Post by Secret Alias »

But he knows nothing about Hebrew. Demonstrate that he can read or interpret Hebrew. He's a fucking poet.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And I can read French very well. My mother and I spoke French together. I studied at a bilingual college. Debated in French. Took courses in French back in Canada.

This alone:
Peilatos
is proof enough he doesn't know anything.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And notice he doesn't SAY there is an etymological link. He's just a poet raising 'inspired' possibilities:

Serait-ce que l’action de Pilate (ou, si l’on veut, son intention) découlait, en hébreu, dans la narration d’origine, de la graphie de son nom –et pas du tout de constats ou de rapports historiques ?

Complete nonsense.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

This is not a scholarly argument for an etymological link. It's a poet making up shit like poets are wont to do - on behalf of 'artistic license.'
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

PLT is used in a situation where someone or something 'escaping' something else. Not for one person to release another. PLT can't be used to describe a man taking a piss. It only works if piss is the subject 'escaping' his bladder or penis. If the sentence describes a man 'releasing' piss from his penis or bladder another verb is used.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:28 am But he knows nothing about Hebrew. Demonstrate that he can read or interpret Hebrew. He's a fucking poet.
Scholar Nanine Charbonnel writes (my translation):
"It's worth reading the Wikipedia page Christ Myth Thesis. Apparently "objective", permanently monitored by unknown men whose stupidity and wickedness are protected by anonymity, it has the major flaw to present the thesis of the historical inexistence of Christ as a truncated, disgusting panorama to any rationalist normally constituted: the drawdown on occultism, solar mythology and other nonsense. Dare to place Bernard Dubourg among the "occultists", attests, in this year 2016, the intellectual level conveyed (sometimes) by this mass media. Not a voice yet stands up against it.
(my bold)
http://www.judeomedia.org/index.php/Nanine_Charbonnel
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Another Hebrew scholar, Maurice Mergui, doing the same argument of Dubourg about PLT:

https://www.lechampdumidrash.net/index. ... com_search
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But

1. there is no demonstration he could speak Hebrew, was a native Hebrew speaker or studied Semitic languages.
2. he does not himself say that Pilate comes from PLT or that there is any relationship. He just muses as a poet that it might be possible (it can't be).

And let's not forget that lots of fanciful arguments have been made by mythicists by means of a Hebrew background to the gospel. There was a German writer, I forget his name, who had all sorts of stupid arguments in his thesis that the Marcionites used Mark and there was a Hebrew ur-text. I can tell you these were very insipid arguments which had no basis in reality.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I glanced at these silly arguments:

https://www.lechampdumidrash.net/index. ... Itemid=487

They are completely nonsensical. Paul or Saul does not have anything to do with Sheol. This person is not a serious scholar. No wonder you are attracted to him/her.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:40 am But

1. there is no demonstration he could speak Hebrew, was a native Hebrew speaker or studied Semitic languages.
2. he does not himself say that Pilate comes from PLT or that there is any relationship. He just muses as a poet that it might be possible (it can't be).
Really, I can't follow you. I have shown a clear OT example where PALAT is addressed to who (=God) has to deliver, and not to who has to escape. Who delivers (as opposed to who escapes) is the subject of the verb PALAT.

The argument from the impossible coincidence is too much strong, here, sorry.