THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS (50-140) Questions

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS < full concordance in v1.7

Post by mlinssen »

Published yesterday: version 1.7 of my Thomas translation, with a full concordance for the 722 unique words

https://www.academia.edu/42110001

• The Coptic-English index is now properly sorted (the Unicode order is busted for good because the Demotic block existed prior, as the first attempt at defining Coptic was to add that to the existing Greek block - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_alphabet#Unicode)
  • Font is Antinoou for all Coptic
  • The final v2.0 will be out EOY 2021 / start 2022 when the Complete Thomas Commentary will see the light, and that will likely be the end to it all
EDIT:

The concordances (English-Coptic and Coptic-English) are both hyperlinking back into every logion, so it's just point and click. If you're on mobile, I highly recommend ReadEra for Android - it is better than the Kindle Reader
Last edited by mlinssen on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidmartin

Re: THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS (50-140) Questions

Post by davidmartin »

nice a lot of work in there, saying 12 still fascinates me about James the righteous
i'm beginning to wonder if James actually was not living in the context of this saying, this is a primordial figure
not sure the Coptic really supports a literal 'going to' him?

heck there's evidence of the patriarch James/Jacob being spoken of in a similar way in the Prayer of Joseph which is lost apart from this
"Thus Jacob says: "I, Jacob, who speak to you, and Israel, I am an angel of God, a ruling spirit, and Abraham and Isaac were created before every work of God; and I am Jacob, called Jacob by men, but my name is Israel, called Israel by God, a man seeing God, because I am the first-born of every creature which God caused to live. I have come down to the earth and made my dwelling among men, and I am called Jacob by name"
mlinssen

Re: THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS (50-140) Questions

Post by mlinssen »

Spot on David!

Thomas is ridiculing the dumb disciples, he thinks very little of followers

12 said the Disciples to IS : we know : you will go from-the-hand-of us who? is who will make-be great upward upon us m
said IS behold : the place have you(PL) come therein you(PL) will go toward Jacob the Righteous this have the heaven with the earth come-to-be because-of him

Jacob the Righteous, indeed Jacob. Who has the heaven and earth come into being?
Nothing sensible from the Commentaries there, as usual

Oh... wait a minute

23 And the LORD said to her, "Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the older shall serve the younger."

That Jacob

Genesis 28:11 And he came to a certain place and stayed there that night, because the sun had set.
Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place to sleep.
12 And he dreamed, and behold, there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it! 13 And behold, the LORD stood above it and said, "I am the LORD, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring. 14 Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." 16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it."

That Jacob, that heaven

"Sod off to Judaism" is what he tells them. Jacob, renamed Israel, Jacob the Righteous, the poster child of Judaism
not sure the Coptic really supports a literal 'going to' him?
You can click anything in my translation and land straight in the KELLIA Coptic Dictionary Online, and judge for yourself. That is exactly why I made it the way it is, so anyone can make up their own minds

The double concordance now hyperlinks back into every logion as well. There are 25,000 hyperlinks in the document - if you can click, you can become proficient in Thomas within a month

The composite verb is ⲃⲱⲕ ϣⲁ, http://coptot.manuscriptroom.com/crum-c ... &pageID=29

"Go to" (of persons)