Information Confirmation

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: Information Confirmation

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:50 pm
Jax wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:48 amSo anyway. Just to be clear. Iesous is the name. And it is the transliteration of Yeshua which is the shortened form of Yeheshua which is Hebrew for "YHVH is salvation".
Make it Yehoshua, and that is correct. :cheers:
Ahhhhh...... finally!

Thank you Ben. :thumbup:
Jax

Post by Jax »

Secret Alias wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 pm But remember that none of the Christian MSS actually spell out IESOUS in all its forms. A nomen sacrum appears instead
What examples can you give? And is this true of Paul as well?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:21 am
Secret Alias wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 pm But remember that none of the Christian MSS actually spell out IESOUS in all its forms. A nomen sacrum appears instead
It is true that Ἰησοῦς does not appear as a fully written out name in most/all of our earliest Christian manuscripts (yes, including those of Paul). But our stock of manuscripts includes, fortunately, those of the LXX/OG, which abbreviate the name of the hero Joshua using nomina sacra, as well, thus proving that the Hebrew name Ye(ho)shua is what is represented by the nomen sacrum for the name that we know as Jesus/Joshua. (There is no difference between Joshua and Jesus in either ancient Greek or ancient Hebrew.) And we can tell the case endings of the nomina sacra by the fact that they usually consist of the first and last letter of the name (ΙΣ = nominative, ΙΝ = accusative, ΙΥ = genitive/dative).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:57 am
Jax wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:21 am
It is true that Ἰησοῦς does not appear as a fully written out name in most/all of our earliest Christian manuscripts (yes, including those of Paul). But our stock of manuscripts includes, fortunately, those of the LXX/OG, which abbreviate the name of the hero Joshua using nomina sacra, as well, thus proving that the Hebrew name Ye(ho)shua is what is represented by the nomen sacrum for the name that we know as Jesus/Joshua. (There is no difference between Joshua and Jesus in either ancient Greek or ancient Hebrew.) And we can tell the case endings of the nomina sacra by the fact that they usually consist of the first and last letter of the name (ΙΣ = nominative, ΙΝ = accusative, ΙΥ = genitive/dative).
Thanks Ben, I just looked up p46 online and the page with Romans 15:29-33 has IHY XPY which is in keeping with Iesou Christou.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/image/ ... 238_38.TIF

To bad we don't have anything from Paul earlier than p46. It would be interesting to see if he used similar nomina sacra or if copy scribes simply brought him into the fad as it evolved into the third century.

That's it by gum! I'm getting back on that time machine project just as soon as I finish my tea!

Well, maybe do some laundry first. :p
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:18 amThat's it by gum! I'm getting back on that time machine project just as soon as I finish my tea!

Getting the time machine up and running will give you all the time in the world to do laundry. :)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:53 am
Jax wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:18 amThat's it by gum! I'm getting back on that time machine project just as soon as I finish my tea!

Getting the time machine up and running will give you all the time in the world to do laundry. :)
:D
Geocalyx

Post by Geocalyx »

Not a Christian MS, but a copy of The holy book of the great invisible Spirit in NHC IV spells out the name of a "Ieseus Mazareus Iesedekus, the Living Water".