The Three Parts of Ancient Baptism

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

The Three Parts of Ancient Baptism

Post by Secret Alias »

1. Impressing a seal
2. Washing (with oil?)
3. Immersion
Thus he sets his seal upon a man who has never to his mind been unsealed: he washes a man never to his mind defiled: and into this whole sacrament of salvation he plunges flesh which has no part or lot in salvation. [Against Marcion 1.28]
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
perseusomega9

Re: The Three Parts of Ancient Baptism

Post by perseusomega9 »

The current Eastern Orthodox practice (from my own baptism) was Exorcism of the Catechumen (doesn't have to be same day as baptism), anointing with oil, triple immersion in the Trinitarian formula (baptize in the name of the Father (dunk), Son (dunk), and Holy Spirit (dunk), chrismation (sealing) with oil from holy oil prepared by the bishop. After service and first communion you are given milk and honey (probably from another 'heretica;' integrated practice.

My limited understanding is the annointing with oil is a borrowed practice from another christian 'heretical' group that was integrated with water baptism along ecumenical grounds.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
andrewcriddle

Re: The Three Parts of Ancient Baptism

Post by andrewcriddle »

In studying the use of oil in ancient baptism one should distinguish pre-baptismal anointing with oil from post-baptismal anointing. They seem to have rather different histories in the early church.

Andrew Criddle