Important Breakthrough: Cerdo = Chrestos

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: Important Breakthrough: Cerdo = Chrestos

Post by Charles Wilson »

SA --

In discussions with someone a few years ago, the subject of Philemon came up and the oddities of the NT book by that name.

Philemon 1: 10 - 11 (RSV):

[10] I appeal to you for my child, Ones'imus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment.
[11] (Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me.)

The first oddity was "Onesimus".

Suetonius, 12 Caesars, "Galba":

"Accordingly his coming was not so welcome as it might have been, and this was apparent at the first performance in the theatre; for when the actors of an Atellan farce began the familiar lines

"Here comes Onesimus from his farm"36

all the spectators at once finished the song in chorus and repeated it several times with appropriate gestures, beginning with that verse."

Note 36: "The text is uncertain, but obviously the song ridiculed a stingy old countryman"

Ummm...I'm not so sure.
The 2nd point concerns "Useful". What was "useful" about Onesimus?

[16] no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
[17] So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me.

"Useful" may have a whole 'nuther meaning here.
Secret Alias

Re: Important Breakthrough: Cerdo = Chrestos

Post by Secret Alias »

What do you think the odds are that this marginalia has any bearing on the development of Christianity? I don't even want to know the answer.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote