The abomination of desolation in a coin of 135 CE

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

The abomination of desolation in a coin of 135 CE

Post by Giuseppe »

14 “When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’ standing where it does not belong—let the reader understand—then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.

(Mark 13:14)

What should the reader understand?

The "abomination" is the Star of a false Christ found above the Ark of Covenant:

But only the reader of Mark could understand this. Not the generic reader of Mark. But the reader in the story itself of Mark:

Mark 12:
13 Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Jesus to catch him in his words. 14 They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not? 15 Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”

But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” 16 They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they replied.

17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

And they were amazed at him.

What the reader could understand in the coin of Bar-Kokhba was precisely the "abomination of desolation".
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: The abomination of desolation in a coin of 135 CE

Post by Giuseppe »

Even more so ("let the reader understand") since Bar-Kokhba didn't capture Aelia Capitolina.

If he had captured Jerusalem, there would be no need by Mark to derive the reader's attention on where precisely the "abomination" will show himself.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.