Eusebius as a forger.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Eusebius as a forger.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:43 am Over in The (Hegesippan?) list of Roman bishops thread, Ben Smith wrote concerning the passage concerning James, which Eusebius misattributes to Josephus in HE 2.23.20.
Eusebius did not forge the passage. Had he added it (from Origen) to some physical manuscript of Josephus, that would be forgery. It is not forgery to pass on erroneous information from someone whom one respects or trusts; that is simply credulity. (It is not the semantics here that matter so much as it is the very real distinction between misquoting a manuscript based on erroneous information and actually adding something to a manuscript.)
I think we have to be careful of any information passed on at second hand; we should look for indicators, as I have done in this case (the lack of information about where to find the snippet, in stark distinction from Eusebius' usual custom).
Ben,

If Eusebius misattributes material to Josephus in the HE, and a copyist of Josephus takes the Eusebian reading (i.e., erroneous information from someone he respects and trusts) in preference to what was in his (or perhaps her) exemplar, would this be forgery by the definition you are using?
If I understand you correctly, then no, the scribe has not committed forgery. The scribe would be looking at two sources for the reading (a manuscript of Josephus and a manuscript of Eusebius quoting Josephus) and selecting one over the other, much like modern scholars do in creating their eclectic texts. (And, if I am not mistaken, sometimes they do exactly this: choose a patristic reading, or perhaps one from a catena, over anything now found in the extant manuscripts).

In the case of an anonymous scribe we may never run into again, however, the distinction may not matter. In the case of Eusebius, the distinction may be profound, since it can help to have a grasp of his character and limitations in judging individual quotations throughout the totality of his attributed works.

ETA: It occurs to me in hindsight that perhaps you are trying to draw a parallel between (A) your hypothetical scribe and (B) Eusebius himself hypothetically adding Origen's misquote of Josephus to the manuscripts of Josephus. In my response to you I was assuming that the scribe knew which Josephan passage Eusebius was quoting from and added Eusebius' own variant to that same point in his or her own manuscript. But, in the case of Eusebius trusting Origen, the latter gives the former no clue as to where to find the passage in Josephus. For Eusebius to add the passage to Josephus, he would have to somewhat artificially select a place in Josephus to insert it, which would begin to lean over into my definition of forgery; he may have accepted the words in good faith (= not forgery), but he had to invent the context in which to insert those words (= if not outright forgery, then something much like it).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Ben,

Thanks for the reply. Let me unpack the question I was asking. In your response in the other thread, you said Eusebius did not forge the passage about James the Just and emphasized the distinction between misquoting a manuscript (misattributing a quotation to an author might be a more precise way to put it) and adding something to a manuscript and gave a proper caveat about semantics.

I have avoided saying that Eusebius "forged" the Testimonium in my published work (I don't recall asserting that in online discussion either) because I think the word raises too many semantic issues about the definition of forgery. I also have not claimed that Eusebius himself inserted the Testimonium into manuscripts of the Antiquities. In my CBQ paper of 20 or so years ago, I suggested that a scribe inserted it into the Antiquities on the authority of Eusebius, and in the more recent "Eusebian Reading"(2013) paper I allowed that it was possible Eusebius oversaw the insertion himself. I don't currently have a firm position on whether he did or not.

The relationship between "good faith" quotation and insertion into manuscripts poses a lot of problems for our systems of classification. If Eusebius composed the Testimonium himself for use in his own works (DE, HE, and Theophany), but was not directly involved in inserting it into manuscripts of the Antiquities, did he forge it? Would the later scribe who accepted it on Eusebius authority and placed it in Book XVIII in Josephus account of Pilate, where Eusebius said it belonged, have been guilty of forgery? In the 6th century Latin translation of the Antiquities, the scribes did not make a new translation of the Testimonium (or the passage about John the Baptist), but borrowed Rufinus' translation from his translation of Eusebius HE. This does not, of course, mean that the Testimonium was missing from their Greek exemplars of Josephus, but it does suggest that Eusebius HE was considered an authoritative witness to the text of the Antiquities.

I don't know if you've had a chance to look at Inowlocki yet. She gives numerous examples of places where she thinks Eusebius makes relatively minor (minor compared to, say, composing the Testimonium) changes to the text of Josephus when quoting it. We might discuss specific examples more thoroughly later, but I wonder if minor changes that don't get carried over into manuscripts of Josephus are forgeries. What if a minor change made by Eusebius did get carried over into the text of Josephus by a scribe who took it from Eusebius? This kind of distinction is one of the reasons I've tried to avoid using the word forgery to describe what I think is going on.

Best,

Ken
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:22 pmI have avoided saying that Eusebius "forged" the Testimonium in my published work (I don't recall asserting that in online discussion either) because I think the word raises too many semantic issues about the definition of forgery.
While it is commendable that you pay attention to the details of the terminology, I have noticed that a lot of people, when referring to your work, assume that you are arguing for some kind of forgery. These three examples, for instance, were absurdly quick and easy to find:
FransJVermeiren wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 amThank you for your excellent and highly credible A Eusebian Reading of the Testimonium Flavianum. I agree with you that the TF in its entirety is a Eusebian forgery.
— Link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2919&p=65075#p65075.

"Yet some still consider it a forgery. Olson, e.g., has recently suggested that Eusebius might have been the author of the entire passage. .... Olson... defends the thesis that Eusebius forged the Testimonium...."

— Sabrina Inowlocki, Eusebius and the Jewish Authors, His Citation Technique in an Apologetic Context, page 207, 209.

"Now Ken Olson has weighed in. Olson has long advocated the hypothesis that the TF was forged and inserted by the Christian historian Eusebius (the first author ever to notice and quote the TF, in the early fourth century)."

Richard Carrier.

And I think the reason for this is that one scenario which you lay out is a form of forgery (Eusebius composing the Testimonium and inserting it into Josephus' text), while the other scenario which you lay out is pretty much morally equivalent to forgery (Eusebius composing the Testimonium and quoting it as if Josephus wrote it).

I myself have no problem calling the first scenario forgery. If I were to pen a play and then try to pass that play off as genuinely Shakespearean, that would be forgery in everybody's book; if I were to pen a single scene and then add it to a manuscript of Romeo and Juliet as if it were part of that play, the only difference is one of scale. I am still deliberately passing my own work off as Shakespeare's.

The second scenario is not forgery in the classic sense of actually creating (or at least modifying) a work. But it is deliberate deceit, just as forgery is deliberate deceit. So for people to call that forgery, even if that is not technically what it is, is understandable to some extent.
The relationship between "good faith" quotation and insertion into manuscripts poses a lot of problems for our systems of classification.
There may be lots of grayish areas in between these two cases, but I think they are at least useful for figuring out how gray those intermediate areas are.
If Eusebius composed the Testimonium himself for use in his own works (DE, HE, and Theophany), but was not directly involved in inserting it into manuscripts of the Antiquities, did he forge it?
This would be deceit, but not forgery in any technical sense. I would view it as sharing roughly the same level of mendacity, the main difference between the two scenarios being one of opportunity and/or ambition, not one of personal moral character; in other words, drawing a personal ethical line here, between these two options, would be weird. Someone willing to lie about what Josephus said would probably also be willing to put that lie into the Josephan text. There may be exceptions, but I wager they are few and eccentric.
Would the later scribe who accepted it on Eusebius authority and placed it in Book XVIII in Josephus account of Pilate, where Eusebius said it belonged, have been guilty of forgery?
No, not unless he knew Eusebius was lying, in which case he would be complicit. If he genuinely trusted Eusebius, then he is being gullible, not fraudulent.
In the 6th century Latin translation of the Antiquities, the scribes did not make a new translation of the Testimonium (or the passage about John the Baptist), but borrowed Rufinus' translation from his translation of Eusebius HE. This does not, of course, mean that the Testimonium was missing from their Greek exemplars of Josephus, but it does suggest that Eusebius HE was considered an authoritative witness to the text of the Antiquities.
Well, it kind of is.

I have done this, by the way: cribbed from an existing translation of a portion of text and then added my own translation where the existing one was lacking. I have marked my doing so by crediting the original translator in some way, but that is a fairly modern custom, I imagine.
I don't know if you've had a chance to look at Inowlocki yet.
Yes, I have. Thanks again.
She gives numerous examples of places where she thinks Eusebius makes relatively minor (minor compared to, say, composing the Testimonium) changes to the text of Josephus when quoting it.
Right, and these examples are of differing quality.

The omissions (often, according to Inowlocki, for the sake of brevity) I care little about. The ancients had not developed ellipses yet, and no one is obligated to quote in contiguous blocks. I can certainly imagine sinister reasons for omitting certain parts of the source text, but those would have to be evaluated case by case.

Some of the additions I also care very little about. For example, οὗτοι δὲ ἦσαν οἱ καλούμενοι Μακκαβαῖοι. This is an explanation for the benefit of the reader; just as the ancients had not yet invented ellipses, so too they had not yet invented brackets or parentheses or footnotes (or, at least, they were not accustomed to using such devices consistently).

Other additions are more difficult to assess, and I am still thinking about them. Not all may even be Eusebian; some may be down to scribal activity before him. Others probably are Eusebian, and I may have more thoughts on how that affects my estimate of him in the future.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Ben Smith wrote:
I have noticed that a lot of people, when referring to your work, assume that you are arguing for some kind of forgery.
And that I argue that the Testimonium is in Eusebius's style, not Josephus' style. In fact, I don't actually use the word style or any of its cognates in either of my papers. Now, I realize that people are going to paraphrase what I've written when they respond to it, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to stick to the language I've used. It becomes a problem, however, when the language used in the paraphrase becomes the basis for making a counterargument, e.g., it's unfair to charge Eusebius with forgery or that anyone can claim something is in someone's style. But I suppose that almost everyone who has published an argument has run into that. C'est la vie.
Ken: [Sabrina Inowlocki in Eusebius and the Jewish Authors] gives numerous examples of places where she thinks Eusebius makes relatively minor (minor compared to, say, composing the Testimonium) changes to the text of Josephus when quoting it.
Ben: Right, and these examples are of differing quality.

The omissions (often, according to Inowlocki, for the sake of brevity) I care little about. The ancients had not developed ellipses yet, and no one is obligated to quote in contiguous blocks. I can certainly imagine sinister reasons for omitting certain parts of the source text, but those would have to be evaluated case by case.

Some of the additions I also care very little about. For example, οὗτοι δὲ ἦσαν οἱ καλούμενοι Μακκαβαῖοι. This is an explanation for the benefit of the reader; just as the ancients had not yet invented ellipses, so too they had not yet invented brackets or parentheses or footnotes (or, at least, they were not accustomed to using such devices consistently).

Other additions are more difficult to assess, and I am still thinking about them. Not all may even be Eusebian; some may be down to scribal activity before him. Others probably are Eusebian, and I may have more thoughts on how that affects my estimate of him in the future.
I'd be interested in knowing what criteria you use in determining which variants are Eusebian and which are not. I didn't really grasp Inowlocki's argument against me. She thinks that where she finds a variant, and can explain it in terms of Eusebius' theological interests, she can attribute it to Eusebius. I think I've more than met the bar she sets for herself when it comes to the Testimonium. She seems to think that attributing Eusebius with producing small changes to Josephus' text when quoting him shows he would not have made large changes, and I think that's a non-sequitur. (If you think I've gotten her argument wrong here, please lay it out for me).

Also, I think the gloss "the ones who were called the Maccabees" as explanation for the benefit of the reader is very relevant to discussion of the James passage in Ant. 20.200, particularly if you don't care about omissions and think Eusebius regarded Origen as a good witness to what Josephus wrote. After attributing the passage about James he took from Origen to Josephus in HE 2.23.20, he then quotes the passage about James actually found in Ant. 20.200. But he may have added the identification of James that Origen had used, "the brother of Jesus called Christ," for the benefit of the reader so they would know this was the Christian James.

Granted, one may object that that's not probative, and one would have to explain why the identification of James made it into the manuscripts of Antiquities 20.200 when Origen's passage about James the just did not, but I think it's plausible in terms of Eusebius' citation practices.

Best,

Ken
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 pm Ben Smith wrote:
I have noticed that a lot of people, when referring to your work, assume that you are arguing for some kind of forgery.
And that I argue that the Testimonium is in Eusebius's style, not Josephus' style. In fact, I don't actually use the word style or any of its cognates in either of my papers. Now, I realize that people are going to paraphrase what I've written when they respond to it, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to stick to the language I've used. It becomes a problem, however, when the language used in the paraphrase becomes the basis for making a counterargument, e.g., it's unfair to charge Eusebius with forgery or that anyone can claim something is in someone's style. But I suppose that almost everyone who has published an argument has run into that. C'est la vie.
I plan to respond to the rest of your post at some point, but in the meantime: if Eusebius found nothing whatsoever in Josephus about Jesus, and if he penned the entire Testimonium (at least in one of its forms) in Josephus' name (even if he did not physically insert the paragraph into any manuscripts) so as to have something handy to quote from the Jewish historian in his own works, does that differ for you from fraud or forgery? I have already opined that it would not be forgery in the technical sense, but that it is still morally or ethically equivalent, since the only real difference between deliberately inventing a quotation and deliberately inventing a paragraph in a manuscript is probably opportunity and/or ambition. It is because of this opinion that I find it understandable when people use the term "forgery" with reference to your hypothesis. But where do you stand on that issue? Do you find it morally or ethically different from omitting text or adding explanatory glosses to a paragraph that already exists? Or is it the same for you?

Similar question: if you go all the way (as you seem to do on particular occasions) and suggest that Eusebius was also responsible for physically adding the Testimonium to the Josephan manuscript tradition, is that forgery? If not, why not?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Ben Smith wrote:
I plan to respond to the rest of your post at some point, but in the meantime: if Eusebius found nothing whatsoever in Josephus about Jesus, and if he penned the entire Testimonium (at least in one of its forms) in Josephus' name (even if he did not physically insert the paragraph into any manuscripts) so as to have something handy to quote from the Jewish historian in his own works, does that differ for you from fraud or forgery?
Not really, no. It would be fraud even if, as you say below, it is not forgery in the technical sense. Eusebius meant for people to take it as a statement from Josephus and they would have taken it differently if they knew he wrote it himself. That said, I think Eusebius may well have thought it was what Josephus would have said about Jesus. He probably thought it was true to character.
I have already opined that it would not be forgery in the technical sense, but that it is still morally or ethically equivalent, since the only real difference between deliberately inventing a quotation and deliberately inventing a paragraph in a manuscript is probably opportunity and/or ambition. It is because of this opinion that I find it understandable when people use the term "forgery" with reference to your hypothesis. But where do you stand on that issue? Do you find it morally or ethically different from omitting text or adding explanatory glosses to a paragraph that already exists? Or is it the same for you?
It's the same to me, but I'm not really concerned with evaluating moral issues. And I'm not sure how it would have been taken in the ancient world. Ancient authors commonly invented dialogue for historical (non-fictional?) characters. I don't know to what degree inventing something from a written source would have been seen differently.

There's a lot of grey are as to what constitutes a fake or not. In modern times, historians are not supposed to invent quotations, but in historical movies it's done all the time. I think ancient writers are more like directors of historical movies than like modern historians. The standard was you were supposed to stay true to the character. But opinions on what counts as true to the character differ widely.
Similar question: if you go all the way (as you seem to do on particular occasions) and suggest that Eusebius was also responsible for physically adding the Testimonium to the Josephan manuscript tradition, is that forgery? If not, why not?
Yes, I think that that would count as forgery. I've allowed that's one of the possible ways it could have gotten into the manuscripts. I think it's plausible, maybe likely, that all our manuscripts of Antiquities 18-20 are descended from exemplars made in Caesarea. I don't really have a strong opinion on whether Eusebius oversaw the insertion or not.

As an aside, if the author of Acts invented the letter of the Jerusalem council in Acts 15, is that a forgery? I and many others, including some fairly conservative scholars, think he composed the apostles speeches himself. But if he composed the text of a document attributes to the apostles, is that different?

One of the reasons (probably the major reasons) I don't use the word forgery is that I didn't want to have to write a chapter on what would or would not constitute forgery by modern and ancient standards.

Best,

Ken
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Ken,

Have you considered the issue of opportunity?

Eusebius resides in Caesarea by the Sea, and this was where the manuscripts he kept in his library had come to be deposited, Perhaps some by Clement of Alexandria, some by Origen (maybe even the Hexapla), some by Philo (by way of Clement of Alex.?). But would any be manuscripts from Josephus himself? The originals of these were probably in Rome (Josephus had land granted to him in Palestine but didn't reside there), although copies would be floating about Egypt and Palestine if one looked hard enough. However, the originals were written 200 years before Eusebius' time! If Eusebius is inserting the TF into Josephus' text, was he introducing variants to existing copies that ended up in Caesarea, or somehow getting them published in Rome? Constantine didn't even reside there, but in Gaul then Byzantium.

Then there was the situation of the war between the Eastern and Western Augustuses and their Jr counterparts, which seems to me would make it difficult to just go in to grab a spare copy of Josephus in Rome to use as an exemplar for a "new" edition. Constantine was in Gaul until he wrested control of Spain & Africa from Maxentius in 313 CE. Licenius had jumped from the Danube region to reside in Balkan Europe around 312 CE, where he claimed to be "taking care of things" for Maximinus Daia, who was supposed to be Sr Augustus over the Eastern empire. By 313, Maximinus lashed out at Licenius but was defeated and commits suicide.

RE the "correct" date for Easter and what relation there may be to the Acta Pilati, if Maximinus Daia's stooges were really publishing Pilate's genuine Acta (they claimed to have published Jesus' own Acta too), where would he get them? Rome? Gaul (where Pilate was exiled)? That was firmly in Constantine's control, yes? Did he conspire with Maxentius?

There are so many uncontrolled variables.

DCH

Maximian = Augustus (Sr Emperor) Abdicates 5/1/305
Constantius = Caesar (Jr Emperor N of Alps)
Diocletian = Augustus (Sr Emperor) Abdicates 5/1/305
Galerius = Caesar (Jr Emperor)
305 306 Constantius = Augustus Severus = Caesar Galerius = Augustus (Balkan Europe) Maximinus Daia = Caesar (Asiatic provinces)
306 307 Severus = Augustus (legitimate, W. Europe, Italy, Africa) versus Maxentius (illegitimate, son of Maximian) (Italy, Africa) Constantine = Caesar (legitimate, Gaul) Galerius = Augustus (Balkan Europe) Maximinus Daia = Caesar (Asiatic provinces)
307 308 Maxentius = Sr Augustus (illegitimate) with Maximian = Jr Augustus (illegitimate) Constantine = Jr Augustus (illegitimate) but neutral with respect to war between Maxentius and Galerius Galerius = Augustus (Balkan Europe) Maximinus Daia = Caesar (Asiatic provinces)
308 308 Licenius = Sr Augustus (legitimate, Danube) versus Maxentius = Augustus (illegitimate, Italy, Africa) with Maximian = Jr Augustus (illegitimate) Constantine = Caesar (legitimate, Gaul) Galerius = Augustus (Balkan Europe) Maximinus Daia = Caesar (Asiatic provinces)
309 310 Licenius = Sr Augustus (legitimate, Danube) versus Maxentius = Augustus (illegitimate, Italy, Africa) Constantine = Caesar (legitimate, Gaul). Maximian is forced to abdicate a 2nd time on order of Diocletian (retired), and retires to Constantine's court Galerius = Augustus (Balkan Europe) Maximinus Daia = Caesar (Asiatic provinces)
310 310 Licenius = Sr Augustus (legitimate, Danube) versus Maxentius = Augustus (illegitimate, Italy & Africa) Constantine = Jr Augustus (legitimate, Gaul), Maximian rebels against Constantine (illegitimate, Gaul), but is defeated by Galerius and forced to abdicate then commit suicide Galerius = Augustus (Balkan Europe) Maximinus Daia = Jr Augustus (Asiatic provinces)
311 312 Licenius = Sr Augustus (legitimate, Danube) versus Maxentius = Augustus (illegitimate, Italy & Africa) Constantine = Jr Augustus (legitimate) Maximinus Daia = Sr Augustus, ruling Asiatic provinces, enters into pact with Maxentius Licenius, by "agreement" with Maximinus administers Eastern European provinces
312 312 Licenius = Sr Augustus (Danube) Constantine = Jr Augustus (legitimate, Gaul) defeats Maxentius, retakes Rome & Africa submits Maximinus Daia = Sr Augustus Licenius, by "agreement" administers Eastern European provinces
312 313 Licenius = Sr Augustus (Danube) Constantine = Jr Augustus (legitimate, Gaul) defeats Maxentius, retakes Rome & Africa submits Maximinus Daia = Sr Augustus, Licenius, by "agreement" administers Eastern European provinces
313 313 Licenius = Sr Augustus (Danube) Constantine = Jr Augustus (legitimate, Gaul) defeats Maxentius, takes Rome & Africa submits Maximinus Daia = Sr Augustus, attacks Licenius' eastern forces, but is defeated, chased to Tarsus, where he dies Licenius, by "agreement" administers Eastern European provinces
313 314 Constantine = Sole Augustus (of all Western provinces) n/a Licenius = Sole Augustus (of all Eastern provinces) n/a
316 317 Constantine = Sole Augustus (of all Western provinces) versus Valerius Valens = Augustus (appointed by Licenius) n/a Licenius = Sr Augustus (of all Eastern provinces) n/a
317 317 Constantine = Sole Augustus (of all Western provinces) n/a Licenius = Sole Augustus (of all Eastern provinces) n/a
317 324 Constantine = Sr Augustus (of all Western provinces) Crispus (Constantine's son) = Caesar (mainly in charge of war with Licenius over control of Eastern provinces) Licenius Sr = Sr Augustus (of all Eastern provinces) Licinius Jr = Caesar
324 324 Constantine = Sr Augustus (of all Western provinces), ruling from Rome, versus Martinian = Augustus (appointed by Licenius, but only for 6 weeks ending Aug 18) Crispus (Constantine's son) = Caesar (mainly in charge of war with Licenius over control of Eastern provinces) Licenius Sr = Sr Augustus (of all Eastern provinces) n/a
324 326 Constantine = Sr Augustus (of all Western provinces), ruling from Byzantium Crispus (constantine's son) = Caesar Constantine = Sole Augustus (of all Eastern provinces), ruling from Byzantium n/a
326 337 Constantine = Sole Augustus (of all Western provinces), ruling from Byzantium n/a Constantine = Sole Augustus (of all Eastern provinces), ruling from Byzantium n/a

Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

David Hindley asked:
Ken,

Yes, quite a bit. Particularly in the Eusebian Reading paper. If you're asking where Eusebius' copy of the Antiquities came from, I think it was brought to Caesarea from Alexandria by Origen. That's not provable but there's no evidence against it (see the discussion in Andrew Carriker, the Library of Eusebius of Caeasrea, 2005 157-160).

Best,

Ken
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 pmAs an aside, if the author of Acts invented the letter of the Jerusalem council in Acts 15, is that a forgery? I and many others, including some fairly conservative scholars, think he composed the apostles speeches himself. But if he composed the text of a document attributes to the apostles, is that different?
Very good question. I think that if he knew (somehow) that the apostles sent out a letter, but he did not have that letter in his possession, then his filling out of the details is rather like Thucydides creating speeches: there were probably speeches delivered, but no transcript is/was available. (For Acts, there was a letter sent, but it has not been preserved.) To invent the very fact of there being such a letter is a step beyond, in my estimation.

IIUC, Polybius did not subscribe to Thucydides' practice of inventing "appropriate" speeches.

As an aside, I am not really all that interested in the morality or the ethics involved, at least not for their own sake. These people are long dead; judging them in a moralistic way seems fruitless. What makes me pursue this line of questioning is my estimate of what a person is capable of. Inowlocki, for example, makes an argument against fraud by Eusebius that depends at least in part on her perception of Eusebius' character; she concludes that it would be "unfair" to charge him with such a thing. Part of her argument fails, in my opinion (the part where she draws upon Eusebius' own attitude toward forgeries by heretics); but part of it is similar to how I have felt about Eusebius for some time now: I have never seen him as the kind of person who would commit a fraud of that nature. And I may well be completely mistaken (for any number of reasons); hence this thread.

Also, my perception of him on this score has been, to date, mostly dependent upon my own wits and partly dependent upon my (limited) understanding of how these kinds of ethical issues worked in antiquity. The former is wholly inadequate for evaluating the issue, since ancient sensibilities may not be reflected in modern ones in general, much less in my own in particular. The latter is a better starting point, at the very least, and I have begun collecting information on ancient perceptions of fraud and forgery (I have access to Ehrman's book on forgery in Christian polemics, for example, and have begun taking notes on the relevant chapters). It may be that ancient attitudes turn out to be so varied that it would be impossible to tell whether Eusebius would draw a line between adjusting the wording now and then, on the one hand, and fabricating an entire passage, in the other. But there is no way to know for sure until I do the bookwork.
One of the reasons (probably the major reasons) I don't use the word forgery is that I didn't want to have to write a chapter on what would or would not constitute forgery by modern and ancient standards.
A wise move, I am certain, despite its apparent ineffectiveness in some quarters.
I'd be interested in knowing what criteria you use in determining which variants are Eusebian and which are not.
I have none! None whatsoever. I was merely musing out loud about the possibilities. Emphasize in your mind's voice the "may" and the "still thinking about them" parts of my sentence, if you would. :)
I didn't really grasp Inowlocki's argument against me. She thinks that where she finds a variant, and can explain it in terms of Eusebius' theological interests, she can attribute it to Eusebius. I think I've more than met the bar she sets for herself when it comes to the Testimonium.
I think that, in her mind, her arguments against Eusebius having fabricated the entire passage precede any questions about variants. Once she has satisfied herself that Eusebius did not invent the entire thing, now the variants have to be explained.
She seems to think that attributing Eusebius with producing small changes to Josephus' text when quoting him shows he would not have made large changes, and I think that's a non-sequitur.
I do not see that as her argument. (Do you have a page number for it?) She argues on page 207 that Eusebius' usual practice is to make small adjustments, not to fabricate entire passages. (That is, when Eusebius says that an author wrote something, and he quotes it, when we turn to that author's actual work, if it is still extant, we can find the passage there. I know there is at least one exception: the passage cribbed for Origen, but we can see that even there Eusebius did not invent it wholesale. And I also know that there are many instances we cannot check, since the work is no longer extant.) This is not an argument that small changes imply that no big changes were made; it is, rather, an argument that small changes are in keeping with Eusebius' habits elsewhere and big changes are not. She also argues on page 209 that Eusebius, had he composed the passage, would have attached it to the Wars, not to the Antiquities. (Still thinking about this one.) And she points out on page 210 that Josephus saying that "he was the Christ" directly contradicts Origen, so she doubts that Eusebius would have composed that part. (This one feels like something to be responded to, at the very least.)
Also, I think the gloss "the ones who were called the Maccabees" as explanation for the benefit of the reader is very relevant to discussion of the James passage in Ant. 20.200....
I do too. Adding an explanatory gloss in Antiquities 20 and adding "the ones who were called the Maccabees" strike me as very similar maneuvers in that respect, if one wishes to argue that Eusebius is the one responsible for the gloss. This is a case in which, if someone argues that Eusebius added such a gloss to Josephus' description of a certain James, I can turn to other examples in which Eusebius did pretty much exactly the same thing. It is this sort of exampling that I am seeking with respect to Eusebius having composed the entire Testimonium wholesale; can we catch him in the act of doing that elsewhere? That kind of correspondence would go an incredibly long way with me. Hence, again, this thread.
Granted, one may object that that's not probative, and one would have to explain why the identification of James made it into the manuscripts of Antiquities 20.200 when Origen's passage about James the just did not....
That is a question that I have been asking myself a lot. For me, at least so far, the simplest solution is that Eusebius, if he is responsible for the gloss, was not the one who inserted it into the manuscript; a later scribe did that, a scribe who knew the location (based on Eusebius' information) for that gloss but not the location (based on Eusebius' lack of information) for the passage about James.

This issue also seems to me to pose questions for the Testimonium, as well. If a scribe made good on Eusebius' testimony that Josephus wrote such a paragraph, then I can see how he had to place the Testimonium somewhere in the midst of the Pilate material. But, if Eusebius himself inserted (or was responsible for inserting) the passage, why would he claim that the John the baptist passage (in Marcellus' section, not Pilate's) came before the Testimonium? Surely he would have taken some care in placing the Testimonium, and in those circumstances for him to forget seems less likely to me than that he forgot the proper order (of two passages he had no hand in fabricating) simply because John the baptist precedes Jesus in the Christian gospels. This would seem to imply either (A) that Eusebius did not fabricate the Testimonium or (B) that he fabricated it but was not responsible for its current location in the text of Josephus. If he fabricated it, though, and did not insert it, then apparently he was still thinking of a location after the John the baptist passage; but why, when John the baptist is not discussed until Pilate is off the scene and Marcellus is governing in his stead? Eusebius was obviously concerned about the chronology related to Pilate, judging from his reaction to the Acts of Pilate locating the passion too early; so where, if he composed the passage itself, did he imagine it to be properly located in Josephus' text?

I know there are a lot of moving parts in that series of questions. But I would be interested in knowing how you connect those dots. And is the result easier to handle than (or at least as easy to handle as) the supposition that Eusebius forgot the order of the passages simply because of how the gospels treat John and Jesus? In other words, if he himself composed the passage, does it not seem at least somewhat less likely that he would have forgotten where it should be located?

Finally, what is happening here? I have not been very interested in the Testimonium for a long time now. (Even this thread, though obviously relevant to the Testimonium, was not actually about it; it was, rather, about figuring out what kind of weight to give to Eusebius' quotations where he cannot be checked.) Yet suddenly I find myself getting back into it. My free time is somewhat straitened right now, but I will try to evaluate your points as I can.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Ken Olson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:10 pm David Hindley asked:
Ken,

Yes, quite a bit. Particularly in the Eusebian Reading paper. If you're asking where Eusebius' copy of the Antiquities came from, I think it was brought to Caesarea from Alexandria by Origen. That's not provable but there's no evidence against it (see the discussion in Andrew Carriker, the Library of Eusebius of Caeasrea, 2005 157-160).

Best,

Ken
I'll have to take a look at it again, Ken.

Now it seems pretty certain to me that Eusebius *thought* that he had in his library, through Origen, one of Josephus' personal copies of Antiquities 20 which was read to his friends before formal publication. This *might* have been where he saw whatever marginal comments made him believe that Josephus had attested to Jacob being the real cause of the destruction of Jerusalem. Eusebius confidently believed many things about legends like Clement & Origen that seem IMHO too good to be true.

Thanks,

DCH