Is partially Gal 3:1 (“forewritten as crucified”) an anti-marcionite interpolation? My reasons to think so

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Is partially Gal 3:1 (“forewritten as crucified”) an anti-marcionite interpolation? My reasons to think so

Post by Giuseppe »

The following point of Ben has raised in me the strong suspicion that Gal 3:1 is partially interpolated, insofar it is evident what I point out (in red) in Ben's quote:
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am I guess I am doomed never to understand the seemingly irresistible allure of the translation "was forewritten" for προεγράφη in Galatians 3.1. If I accept the verse as written, "was forewritten" creates an intolerable non sequitur, since there is no way that Jesus was forewritten (presumably by Moses and the prophets) as crucified before the Galatians' very eyes; no, Jesus was forewritten as crucified ages ago, before any of the Galatians were even born, and I cannot bring myself to suppose that Paul is claiming otherwise. So I am forced to add something to the verse, much as Richard B. Hays does in the OP: "O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was [shown to be] pre-written as crucified?" Hays accurately senses that what is missing must mean something like "shown," "proven," or "demonstrated."
The original verse was the following:

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you?

(note en passant the radical absence of any possible compromise or “common language” between Paul and the Galatians)

...to which the Judaizing interpolator had added (in red):

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified

The goal of the interpolator is to mitigate the clash between Paul and the Galatians (going to be partially judaized) in virtue of a common shared belief (the only belief able to put both Paul and the Galatians in good relations): precisely the idea that Jesus was “forewritten as crucified ages ago, before any of the Galatians were even born”.

Clearly, the Judaizer wanted to exorcize from the text the marcionite (original?) idea that the Paul's Jesus was NOT “forewritten as crucified ages ago, before any of the Galatians were even born”, i.e. that he was unknown until then, unknown even to the creator.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.