Why Moses and Elijah are the two crucified thieves (and why the Transfiguration = celestial Crucifixion)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why Moses and Elijah are the two crucified thieves (and why the Transfiguration = celestial Crucifixion)

Post by Giuseppe »

Somewhere in the forum I had argued that the Transfiguration episode was the original celestial Crucifixion of Jesus, witnessed by the Pillars. In this sense, the two crucified thieves would be Moses and Elijah: only who is in the middle of them is the real Son of God and Christ.

But why are Moses and Elijah two thieves, once assumed that there is an implicit rivalry between them and Jesus?

I had thought that Marcion was the author of the episode, to give reason of the his antithesis.

But dr. Detering has a better solution: Moses and Elijah were usurping for themselves the title of “True Prophet” in pre-christian times. Hence, God proclaims that only Jesus/Joshua is the “True Prophet”, not Moses, not Elijah. This solution has the great merit to explain why Joshua is 100% expected in a list where the names of Moses and Elijah appear.

Considering again the my interpretation of the two crucified thieves as Moses and Elijah, then they were "thieves" insofar they were taken themselves as Christs. In the place of the true Christ.

Apart from this, I see a curious clue in the Transfiguration episode in Mark 9:

1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. 2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

3 And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them. 4 And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus. 5 And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 6 For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid. 7 And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him. 8 And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves.

The fuller is just the final killer of James the Just, according to Hegesippus ("Matthew").

his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.

...may be a cryptical way to allude to a celestial crucifixion:

the criminal action of the archons on Jesus couldn't make him more glorious than he already was.

Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Why Moses and Elijah are the two crucified thieves (and why the Transfiguration = celestial Crucifixion)

Post by Giuseppe »

So Hegesippus:
And one of them, who was a fuller, took the club with which he beat out clothes and struck the just man on the head.

http://peterkirby.com/chasing-hegesippus.html
Giuseppe

Re: Why Moses and Elijah are the two crucified thieves (and why the Transfiguration = celestial Crucifixion)

Post by Giuseppe »

Why just the "fuller" in both the Transfiguration episode and in the Death of James?

So when the womb of the soul, by the will of the father, turns itself inward, it is baptized and is immediately cleansed of the external pollution which was pressed upon it, just as garments, when dirty, are put into the water and turned about until their dirt is removed and they become clean. And so the cleansing of the soul is to regain the newness of her former nature and to turn herself back again. That is her baptism.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/exe.html

So he irony of Hegesippus is that James was baptized just when he died, killed by a baptizer par excellence: a fuller!

Hence the Transfiguration is a Celestial Baptism of Jesus.

But the Baptism is a Death & Resurrection.

Therefore: the Transfiguration is a celestial Crucifixion.