Metacrock is still apologizing...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Metacrock is still apologizing...

Post by Peter Kirby »

While I was searching Google, this popped up:

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2014/04/d ... -tomb.html

"The crux of the Easter faith is the empty tomb. Atheists and sketics believe they have proved that Mark made up the empty tomb.Peter Kirby once defended the idea, claiming a huge number of scholars agreed with that. I'm not sure if he still holds to that or not. The paper is still up and the argument was made so I will refute it. Peter Kirby once wrote:"

Question: is it even worth replying to this guy?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
stevencarrwork

Re: Metacrock is still apologizing...

Post by stevencarrwork »

No.

Suppose there is an empty tomb.

According to the Christian story, evidence damaging to Christianity was given unwittingly to a secret sympathiser of Jesus to look after, and 36 hours later it went missing. How is that a miracle?
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

So many permutations; A peasant Jew being crucified by Romans and his body entombed is one of the less-likely ones.

A high-priest or other 'anointed one', on the other hand ....

(might add weight to the proposition the Biblical Jesus is a compilation of characters?)
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Skeptical schoalrs argue that because Mark's gospel ends with no sightings of the resin Jesus Mark must have made up the empty tomb.
The Resin Jesus, of course, is a phenomenon which only occurs when Easter falls on 4/20. On these rare days, it is appropriate call out, "He is resin."
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:
Skeptical schoalrs argue that because Mark's gospel ends with no sightings of the resin Jesus Mark must have made up the empty tomb.
The Resin Jesus, of course, is a phenomenon which only occurs when Easter falls on 4/20. On these rare days, it is appropriate call out, "He is resin."
I think this hardening of the concept of a resin Jesus required the catalyst of the empty tomb. Thus, Mark assumed the empty tome.

Placed within a histerical context:

4/20/27 Sunday
4/20/28 Tuesday
4/20/29 Wednesday
4/20/30 Thursday
4/20/31 Friday
4/20/32 Sunday
4/20/33 Monday
4/20/34 Tuesday
4/20/35 Wednesday
4/20/36 Friday
4/20/37 Saturday

The above, and I must say with all modesty, brilliant, analysis proves beyond any doubt that the resinurrection of Jesus MUST have occurred in 27 or 32 CE. I rest my case.

DCH :whistling:
Joe Manco

Post by Joe Manco »

No, it’s not worth trying to engage Metacrock in a discussion. He conceives of himself as fighting for the truth against ignorant and immoral (sometimes even demonic) atheists and skeptics and all particulars have to be made to fit into that conception. You can’t get him to deal with what you or other people, including the scholars he cites, have actually said. In this particular post, he spends the first half refuting an argument that no one is making (that the inauthenticity of Mark 16:9-20 implies that Mark invented 16:1-8), and he badly misreads Brown and Koester. But he will take any effort on your part to get him to deal with the facts and redescribe it in terms of your ignorance and hostility. Evidence from the outside world cannot be used to correct the narrative he carries in his head, it can only be assimilated to it.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Sounds about right, Joe. Welcome to the forum. :)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

[quote="Peter Kirby"]While I was searching Google, this popped up:

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2014/04/d ... -tomb.html

"The crux of the Easter faith is the empty tomb. Atheists and sketics believe they have proved that Mark made up the empty tomb.Peter Kirby once defended the idea, claiming a huge number of scholars agreed with that. I'm not sure if he still holds to that or not. The paper is still up and the argument was made so I will refute it. Peter Kirby once wrote:"

Question: is it even worth replying to this guy?[/quote]

I sent you an email and told you I was writing it and asked you if you still accepted what you wrote back there that I was quoting. you didn't respond now you claim you stumbled on to it accidentally. maybe you didn't get my email? Anyway it's no matter.

thanks for the invite.
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

Joe Manco wrote:No, it’s not worth trying to engage Metacrock in a discussion.
I am sorry man. I'm afraid you don't know how I conceive of myself. You know the atheist propaganda line that's based upon CARM atheists. You have no idea what I actually think. All message board people have a bad habit of dismissing those who don't agree with them too easily.

He conceives of himself as fighting for the truth against ignorant and immoral (sometimes even demonic) atheists and skeptics and all particulars have to be made to fit into that conception.
I have a little help from those who I ague with, sometimes fulfilling that description of "Ignorant." But again you do not know how I conceive of myself or what I'm doing. I don't know you. why don't you wait until we get to know each other then you can hate me authentically?
You can’t get him to deal with what you or other people, including the scholars he cites, have actually said.
BS! I deal with it all the time. It's the CARM atheist who refuse to deal with issues. Look here you are attacking the personalty you don't know rather than the ideas. So this is just what I say atheist can only argue ad hom.

In this particular post, he spends the first half refuting an argument that no one is making (that the inauthenticity of Mark 16:9-20 implies that Mark invented 16:1-8), and he badly misreads Brown and Koester.
(1) Kirby argued that Mark made up the empty tomb, or at least he reflected that idea.

(2) that idea has been echoed by atheists all over the CARM ath board for years. it's common to hear.

(3) I have not misread Brown or Koester. I've Koester passage hundreds of times. I bougt that book in 92 and I've been working out of it all this time. I've read it over and over for years. I made some assumptions that were wrong during that time but mostly becuase I didn't read Corsson not because I misread Koester.

You either do not know what I said or you misread them.

But he will take any effort on your part to get him to deal with the facts and redescribe it in terms of your ignorance and hostility. Evidence from the outside world cannot be used to correct the narrative he carries in his head, it can only be assimilated to it.
In other words I outargue you. are you someone I know on CARM under another name?

How many times I beaten you in argument?
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

stevencarrwork wrote:No.

Suppose there is an empty tomb.

According to the Christian story, evidence damaging to Christianity was given unwittingly to a secret sympathiser of Jesus to look after, and 36 hours later it went missing. How is that a miracle?
Oversimplified as usual. You believe just enough of the story to piece together an ad hoc attack on the veracity but doubt the rest of the details. such as the guards. that's how it's a miracle. got the body past the guards. this is apologetic 101, aka "Josh McDowell."