The crucifixion's function is to claim that Jesus is Christ

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

The crucifixion's function is to claim that Jesus is Christ

Post by Giuseppe »

The tau is the signature of the creator.

Oh, that I had someone to hear me! I sign now my defense—let the Almighty answer me; let my accuser put his indictment in writing.

(Job 31:35)

“I sign now my defense” may be translated as: “I put my tau”.

It represents also the end times. Hence the crucifixion may be itself a signature to claim that Jesus, being him crucified, is the Messiah.

Who denied that Jesus is the Christ, not coincidentially, were the same people who claimed that Jesus is not the son of YHWH.

Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist--denying the Father and the Son.

(1 John 2:22)

This explains also the strange insistence of Ignatius against the same enemy:

Jesus Christ… was truly born, and ate and drank. He was truly persecuted under Pontius Pilate; He was truly crucified, and [truly] died… He was also truly raised from the dead.

(Trallians 9)

Hence, per Detering, given a Jewish Jesus cult (where Jesus didn't die) and given the presence of Gnostic sects (where Jesus is not the son of YHWH: see the Naassenes),...

...the notion of a “crucified Jesus” (Jesus + crucifixion) was born as reaction of the Jewish factions of the Jesus cult against the Gnostic factions of the same Jesus cult.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: The crucifixion's function is to claim that Jesus is Christ

Post by Giuseppe »

The crucifixion was not connected with the Jesus cult, in a first moment, but that link was “read” in the scriptures, against the Gnostics:

Trypho: Of what [signs] do you speak?
Justin: When the people waged war with Amalek, and the son of Nave (Nun) by name Jesus (Joshua), led the fight, Moses himself prayed to God, stretching out both hands, and Hur with Aaron supported them during the whole day, so that they might not hang down when he got wearied. For if he gave up any part of this sign, which was an imitation of the cross, the people were beaten, as is recorded in the writings of Moses; but if he remained in this form, Amalek was proportionally defeated, and he who prevailed prevailed by the cross. For it was not because Moses so prayed that the people were stronger, but because, while one who bore the name of Jesus (Joshua) was in the forefront of the battle, he himself made the sign of the cross. For who of you knows not that the prayer of one who accompanies it with lamentation and tears, with the body prostrate, or with bended knees, propitiates God most of all? But in such a manner neither he nor any other one, while sitting on a stone, prayed. Nor even the stone symbolized Christ, as I have shown.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/01287.htm
Giuseppe

Re: The crucifixion's function is to claim that Jesus is Christ

Post by Giuseppe »

Qumranic Evidence that the tau is the symbol par excellence of the Jewish Messiah, independently from Jesus:

These shall escape at the end of the visitation, and they that remain will be delivered to the sword, when there will come the Anointed from Aaron and Israel. As it was at the end of the first visitation concerning which He spoke through Ezekiel to mark a mark upon the foreheads of them that sigh and cry

(Damascus Document, B, 1:9-12)

Ezekiel 9:4 talks about the same mark: the tau.

As the logic goes, if Jesus is crucified, and Jesus is already a deity, then the deity Jesus is the Messiah of YHWH...

….against who adored the deity Jesus as not the son of YHWH.