The Canon

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Re: The Canon

Post by DCHindley »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 pm
Lactantius, Divine Institutes 4.20: 20 .... But all Scripture is divided into two Testaments [verum scriptura omnis in duo testamenta divisa est]. That which preceded the advent and passion of Christ — that is, the law and the prophets — is called the Old; but those things which were written after His resurrection are named the New Testament. The Jews make use of the Old, we of the New: but yet they are not discordant, for the New is the fulfilling of the Old, and in both there is the same testator, even Christ, who, having suffered death for us, made us heirs of His everlasting kingdom, the people of the Jews being deprived and disinherited. ....

This seems to be a variant formulation of the passage we had been discussing in Clement of Alexandria 2.6.29.2-3:
Bk 2, ch 6 ... Accordingly it is added more clearly, “Thou hast inherited the covenant of Israel,” speaking to those called from among the nations, that were once barren, being formerly destitute of this husband, who is the Word, — desolate formerly, — of the bridegroom. “Now the just shall live by faith,” [Rom. i. 17, etc.] which is according to the covenant and the commandments; since these, which are two in name and time, given in accordance with the [divine] economy — being in power one — the old and the new, are dispensed through the Son by one God. As the apostle also says in the Epistle to the Romans, “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith,” teaching the one salvation which from prophecy to the Gospel is perfected by one and the same Lord.
Lactantius does take the concept further that Clement did, by going beyond a simple statement that the "new" covenant of faith fulfills the provisions of old covenant through "the Son," but adding two concepts: 1) including the new covenant with the old as part of sacred scripture, and 2) censure of the Jews for not embracing the new covenant as the fulfillment of God's covenant with Israel. Clearly Lactantius has some baggage to check at the gate, so to speak.

DCH
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

DCHindley wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 amClearly Lactantius has some baggage to check at the gate, so to speak.
He was not alone in this respect....
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:31 pm
How do we know that all of those New Testaments (Tertullian's, Origen's, and so on) contained the exact same list of books?
Without having consulted their texts specifically, I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) that these authors generally or always cite the NT books under the same titles that appear in the manuscript tradition. An important part of Trobisch's case for a final redaction is that these titles are transmitted along with the texts without significant variation. That's the first point. And the second point is that, for many of the books but most especially the four gospels, there is no intratextual evidence for their titles. In several cases the title is an awkward fit. Acts of the Apostles is largely about Paul, from whom the author withholds the title apostle (despite the clumsy use of "apostles" in 14:4). 1 John bears no features of a letter. The ordering of 1 and 2 Thessalonians is not obvious. Hebrews is not ascribed to Paul, but was always transmitted in the Pauline collection. Even the title Evangelion kata ___ is uncommon and strange.

Therefore, it is unlikely that different editors making different collections of different books into generic anthologies all somehow called The New Testament would have ended up with both the same texts (largely) and the very same titles for those texts.

Trobisch's argument that the titles of the NT books are (with the possible exception of the Revelation of John, which takes its title from the opening words of the text) the work of a single, final redactor is thus quite powerful. Obviously there are many who have argued or presumed that the titles were applied "by tradition," but there is precious little evidence of that (Papias? Papias alone?), and the theory fails to account for pervasive pseudonymity in the NT generally.
Of scriptures there were many. But what evidence is there that many different collections of scripture were actually called the New Testament?
Well, take Eusebius' discussion, for example. He tells us he is going to list the books of "the New Testament" (τῆς καινῆς διαθήκης), and then he distinguishes between the mutually "confessed" (ὁμολογουμένοις) writings, the "disputed" (ἀντιλεγομένων) writings, and the "spurious" (νόθοις) writings, the latter of which he says may also be classified as "disputed" (ἀντιλεγομένων again), thus collapsing the second and third categories. If one draws the testamental line between the "confessed" and "disputed" writings on the one side and the "spurious" writings on the other, one does come up with our modern 27 book NT (if one ignores the double placement of Revelation).
That seems like weighty evidence for an original edition.

As for Revelation, it is the only text that was not consistently bundled with other texts (as with Acts and the catholic epistles), so there may be a practical as well as a theological reason for its omission from many lists. Also, although Trobisch doesn't discuss it, I think it is possible to interpret this farewell verse from the epilogue as an "editorial note to the reader":

I warn every one who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if any one adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, 19 and if any one takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. Revelation 22:18

Whether or not "this book" can be taken as a reference to the entire NT or OT+NT collection, the statement functions as a warning against future re-edits that would have hovered over the entire collection.
These authors are listing books, and they are calling those books the New Testament, but those books are not necessarily identical to our list of 27 books.
But neither are they significant departures.
To be the NT nowadays, it must contain the 27 books, in whatever order or translation.
You may be correct now, but there were lists specifically of the New Testament books going into the Middle Ages which did not match our list of 27...
I take this fact as evidence that Christianity of the first millennium simply didn't have our modern concept of a precisely and universally fixed canon. Hence the "paradox of the canon." The pattern of generally overwhelming similarity, already evident in the 4 great manuscripts of the Constantinian era (Sinaiticus, A, B, and C), is a reflection of the literary authority of an archetypal, original edition; not of a process of canonization.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Irish1975 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:11 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:31 pm
How do we know that all of those New Testaments (Tertullian's, Origen's, and so on) contained the exact same list of books?
Without having consulted their texts specifically, I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) that these authors generally or always cite the NT books under the same titles that appear in the manuscript tradition. An important part of Trobisch's case for a final redaction is that these titles are transmitted along with the texts without significant variation. That's the first point. And the second point is that, for many of the books but most especially the four gospels, there is no intratextual evidence for their titles. In several cases the title is an awkward fit. Acts of the Apostles is largely about Paul, from whom the author withholds the title apostle (despite the clumsy use of "apostles" in 14:4). 1 John bears no features of a letter. The ordering of 1 and 2 Thessalonians is not obvious. Hebrews is not ascribed to Paul, but was always transmitted in the Pauline collection. Even the title Evangelion kata ___ is uncommon and strange.
All of this, even if 100% true, applies by definition only to those texts which these church fathers cite (indeed, by definition only to those which they cite by name). So my question remains unanswered. How do we know that these New Testaments (Origen's, Tertullian's, Clement's) consisted of the same books?

ETA: Also, 2 John may have at one time been lumped together with 1 John (as a cover letter?).
Therefore, it is unlikely that different editors making different collections of different books into generic anthologies all somehow called The New Testament would have ended up with both the same texts (largely) and the very same titles for those texts.
But it is not unlikely if later editions built upon earlier editions. Let us imagine, for example, that an early New Testament contained 1 Peter and 1 John, but not 2 Peter and 2 & 3 John. Let us further imagine that a later edition was based specifically upon this earlier one, but included those other letters. Of course it is not unlikely that they would continue the naming convention. I give this example because I believe that Tertullian, for one, cites all current NT writings except for 2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, and James. How can we be so sure that his NT, then, even included those epistles? What if they were added to the growing collection after Tertullian but before, say, Origen?
Trobisch's argument that the titles of the NT books are (with the possible exception of the Revelation of John, which takes its title from the opening words of the text) the work of a single, final redactor is thus quite powerful. Obviously there are many who have argued or presumed that the titles were applied "by tradition," but there is precious little evidence of that (Papias? Papias alone?), and the theory fails to account for pervasive pseudonymity in the NT generally.
Oh, I agree that there is an artificial uniformity to the titles of the books. My argument is that this uniformity does not imply, on its own merits, a single early edition, called the New Testament, in which all 27 current books were present. If such uniformity did imply such a thing, then the New Testament would include, not only the gospels "according to" Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, but also those "according to" Peter and Thomas, for starters. Clearly later titles were modeled after earlier titles completely independently of some single collection of scripture.
Well, take Eusebius' discussion, for example. He tells us he is going to list the books of "the New Testament" (τῆς καινῆς διαθήκης), and then he distinguishes between the mutually "confessed" (ὁμολογουμένοις) writings, the "disputed" (ἀντιλεγομένων) writings, and the "spurious" (νόθοις) writings, the latter of which he says may also be classified as "disputed" (ἀντιλεγομένων again), thus collapsing the second and third categories. If one draws the testamental line between the "confessed" and "disputed" writings on the one side and the "spurious" writings on the other, one does come up with our modern 27 book NT (if one ignores the double placement of Revelation).
That seems like weighty evidence for an original edition.
And then his ensuing discussion, which I included but you excluded from this quote, kind of destroys that evidence. The whole passage comes off as if he is dealing with a list of independent texts, not a single volume with a fixed number. I think it is obvious that such volumes existed, and that Eusebius had access to them; what is not obvious is that he had access to only one of them which he treated with any real regard. Part of his hesitation on, say, 2 Peter may indeed have stemmed from his knowledge of some editions which included it and some which did not, right?
These authors are listing books, and they are calling those books the New Testament, but those books are not necessarily identical to our list of 27 books.
But neither are they significant departures.
But they are departures, and they demonstrate that the term New Testament was not thought to belong to a single edition containing our 27 current books. It belonged, instead, to any list of Christian authoritative writings. The relative uniformity of the extant lists, I feel certain, probably does owe itself at least in part to certain editions which were more prized than others; but it does not seem to owe itself to a single collection, unless that collection grew through various editions with different numbers of books.
I take this fact as evidence that Christianity of the first millennium simply didn't have our modern concept of a precisely and universally fixed canon. Hence the "paradox of the canon." The pattern of generally overwhelming similarity, already evident in the 4 great manuscripts of the Constantinian era (Sinaiticus, A, B, and C), is a reflection of the literary authority of an archetypal, original edition; not of a process of canonization.
I may be able to get behind the general idea of this, so long as it is understood that this edition was actually several different editions over time and probably over space, as well. (And notice, of course, that Sinaiticus contains the epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd; did those books belong to the archetypal, original edition? What about 1 & 2 Clement, which Alexandrinus contains? We do not know whether Vaticanus included Revelation.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Is the longer ending of Mark 16:9-20 in the Canon or not? The Catholic Church says yes. Protestant translations that do not rely on the Alexandrian text (e.g. KJV) say yes. I assume the Orthodox churches say yes since it comes from the "Majority Text."

Perhaps the question isn't meaningful today as a historical question, if the concept of the Canon is a matter of faith, doctrine, and custom; not a matter of historical fact.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Irish1975 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:27 pm Is the longer ending of Mark 16:9-20 in the Canon or not? The Catholic Church says yes. Protestant translations that do not rely on the Alexandrian text (e.g. KJV) say yes. I assume the Orthodox churches say yes since it comes from the "Majority Text."

Perhaps the question isn't meaningful today as a historical question, if the concept of the Canon is a matter of faith, doctrine, and custom; not a matter of historical fact.
This question does not seem difficult to answer. If a Bible contains Mark 16.9-20, then surely that passage is canon for the church(es) which use that Bible, regardless of whether the whoever included the passage was relying upon faith or doctrine or custom or historical research. What is at stake in this case?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Irish1975 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:27 pm Is the longer ending of Mark 16:9-20 in the Canon or not? The Catholic Church says yes. Protestant translations that do not rely on the Alexandrian text (e.g. KJV) say yes. I assume the Orthodox churches say yes since it comes from the "Majority Text."

IIUC the Roman Catholic position that Mark 16:9-20 is part of the canon does not necessarily imply that it was part of the original text of Mark Catholic Study Bible

Andrew Criddle
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm This question does not seem difficult to answer. If a Bible contains Mark 16.9-20, then surely that passage is canon for the church(es) which use that Bible, regardless of whether the whoever included the passage was relying upon faith or doctrine or custom or historical research. What is at stake in this case?
If we're talking about what is "canon for the church(es)" then yes it is straightforward. But people tend to the think that the canon of the Christian Bible is more objective than that, i.e., something established as a historical fact. In light of the centrality of gMark in the Christian Bible, and of the story of Jesus' resurrection, Mark 16:9-20 is obviously an important test case.
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:15 am
IIUC the Roman Catholic position that Mark 16:9-20 is part of the canon does not necessarily imply that it was part of the original text of Mark Catholic Study Bible

Andrew Criddle
I think that's right. But that puts them in the twilight zone between regarding the (proper) human authors of scripture as authoritative and regarding the Church's determinations of the canon as authoritative. Obviously, Catholics have long perfected the art of having it both ways; it's a thing with them.