Richard Carrier about being expert on the problem of historicity

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Richard Carrier about being expert on the problem of historicity

Post by Giuseppe »

Dr. Carrier has touched a point of interest, when he writes:

P.S. It should be noted that I am probably the foremost expert on the historicity debate specifically now, being the only one to have completed a six year post-doc research study of it—but that is a highly specific debate involving a highly particular array of evidence, crossing many sub-fields, and its examination, not usually undertaken by anyone else because of the widespread presumption of historicity has led to a paucity of anyone actually focusing on it as a problem.
That’s why there has not been a single peer reviewed monograph on historicity published in almost a hundred years. Except mine. Still to this day, astonishingly. Which often sets the standard for who is foremost in a subject: the only person on earth who has published a peer reviewed study of it.
If you think of it in another way: Who is more likely to know every viable argument ever made for and against historicity and the evidence bearing on either side of it? As in, if you needed to call someone, anyone on earth, to ask about a specific argument you heard, right now, who would you call? I cannot honestly think of anyone who’d top that list but me; even other qualified mythicists (who would certainly be on that call list) haven’t taken it to the same degree of being thorough as I have.

For example Price, who has much more knowledge of the historiography of Jesus mythicism for example, I have found does not have as complete a knowledge of the entire historicity debate (else he’d not have failed so badly in his debate with Ehrman; although there were additional reasons for that, it was partly because of that). And yet overall Price is vastly more erudite than me; just mostly on subjects I haven’t needed to study (e.g. early 20th century mythicism), or already rely on other experts for (e.g. Hebrew and Aramaic).
This is why so many renowned experts get wildly tripped up in this debate, as they falsely assume being “an expert on Jesus” makes them an expert on the specific problem of his historicity. Mistaking presumption for demonstration.

(original cursive)

What I would like point out here is the comparison between Carrier and Price about the specific feature recognized by Carrier about Price: i.e. the fact that Price is effectively an expert «about the historiography of Jesus mythicism».

The point is interesting since also I has tried to read the principal books of the old mythicists. I think that I am enough expert about historiography of Jesus mythicism, too. Differently from Price, I am not interested to read the Atwill's or Acharya's versions of mythicism. Apart Vermeiren and Einhorn, I am not interested in the various form of mythico-historical versions (an for a good reason). Hence I don't think now that prof Price is so much more expert than me about the specific question of historiography. This position allows me to judge the Carrier's point. He is correct, surely, to claim that the best minimal mythicism version assumes a Jesus crucified by demons in the lower heavens and not on earth, pace Wells. But I has found at least a point where Carrier is victim of the his ignorance of mythicism's historiography.

Another error made by Carrier is the his too much rapid rejection of Revelation 13:8 as evidence of a pre-creation crucifixion (ignore the successive posts). Carrier thinks that the passage doesn't prove that the Lamb was killed before the creation of the world, but he ignores 1 Peter 1:19-20, where the Lamb was chosen (presumably: to be killed immediately as sacrifice) «before the creation of the world»

...Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake

In addition to this, another error made by Carrier (always from the prospective of who knows the old mythicist authors who argued for a celestial crucifixion) is the his ignorance about the cosmic feature of the celestial crucifixion of Jesus. A cosmic importance of the event that is lost when you reduces the lower heavens to simply the mere celestial copy of the earth.

I am omitting here the differences of views about the dating and paternity of the Gospels, since a lot of mythicists of the past gave more credit than Carrier does to the thesis of Marcionite priority.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
GakuseiDon

Re: Richard Carrier about being expert on the problem of historicity

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:08 amHe is correct, surely, to claim that the best minimal mythicism version assumes a Jesus crucified by demons in the lower heavens and not on earth, pace Wells.
Actually, if you look at the odds Dr Carrier gives in OHJ, Wells' theory is more likely than Carrier's. On Page 594, Carrier gives the following odds from analysing the evidence from the Epistles:

Made from sperm - best (2/1), worst (1/1)
Made from a woman - best (2/1), worst (1/1)

In other words, the odds for an 'earthly Jesus' (which Carrier conflates incorrectly IMO with a 'historical Jesus') is at best 4 times more likely than for Carrier's mythical Jesus. The odds for Wells' theory in the rest of Carrier's OHJ arguably match Carrier's, so Wells' theory seems to be at best four times more likely than Carrier's.

The proviso is that the rest of the odds need to be reconsidered, comparing Wells' Minimal Mythicism to Carrier's Minimal Mythicism. I've glanced at them, and I don't see anything off-hand that would go against Wells' in comparison to Carrier's, and in fact the opposite may be true.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

GakuseiDon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 am (which Carrier conflates incorrectly IMO with a 'historical Jesus')
that is totally false and makes you seem not intellectually honest. A true proposition is the following:

Carrier conflates correctly an "earthly Jesus considered lived in the recent past" with a 'historical Jesus'.

But an "earthly Jesus considered lived in the recent past" is not the Wells's Jesus, as you probably know.

Carrier is explicit when he says that the Doherty's Jesus is more easily defensible (=more probable) than the Wells's Jesus (about Paul). Hence you are clearly misinterpreting Carrier very badly.
The proviso is that the rest of the odds need to be reconsidered, comparing Wells' Minimal Mythicism to Carrier's Minimal Mythicism. I've glanced at them, and I don't see anything off-hand that would go against Wells' in comparison to Carrier's, and in fact the opposite may be true.
this is not the thread to discuss that comparison. I know that the most part of the old mythicist authors agree with Carrier about the location of the death in heaven. The only exceptions are J.M. Robertson, Drews, Dujardin and Wells.

With Carrier : Couchoud, Ory, Fau, Las Vergnas, Smith, Rylands, Alfaric, Bob Price, all the Soviet scholars, Brandes, Sandler, Magne, Wautier, Stéphane. And naturally: Doherty.
Last edited by Giuseppe on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

This is the answer of Carrier about the Wells's Jesus:

Either way, there was no actual historical Jesus. So that’s not really an issue. If a mythical earth-death is at all plausible, it just increases the probability of non-historicity. Because the probability-space occupied by that option will be added to the probability-space occupied by the celestial-death theory.

In my next book I have a note acknowledging the possibility. But there is no support for it in the background evidence, or indeed any evidence at all, as opposed to the celestial death theory, which has both (as I extensively document in my next book). It therefore is far more defensible. That doesn’t mean the earth-death theory is false. It just means it’s far easier to defend the celestial-death theory.

(my bold)
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 am This is the answer of Carrier about the Wells's Jesus:

Either way, there was no actual historical Jesus. So that’s not really an issue. If a mythical earth-death is at all plausible, it just increases the probability of non-historicity. Because the probability-space occupied by that option will be added to the probability-space occupied by the celestial-death theory.

Okay, even if that adds to non-historicity, so what? My point is that, based on Dr Carrier's own calculations, Wells' earthly Jesus mythicist theory appears to have higher odds than Carrier's.
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 am

In my next book I have a note acknowledging the possibility. But there is no support for it in the background evidence, or indeed any evidence at all, as opposed to the celestial death theory, which has both (as I extensively document in my next book). It therefore is far more defensible. That doesn’t mean the earth-death theory is false. It just means it’s far easier to defend the celestial-death theory.

(my bold)
I'm using the odds from his own book. Of course, the rest of the odds would need to be re-evaluated, from a Wells' 'mythical earthly Jesus' theory vs Carrier's 'celestial Jesus' theory, but as I wrote earlier: looking at the odds given by Carrier in his book, there is nothing obvious where Carrier's greatly outscores Wells', and it might even go the other way. I have Carrier's OHJ, so if you feel differently, pull out the odds and lets look at them from that perspective.

"[N]o support for it in the background evidence, or indeed any evidence at all"? Really? No evidence of someone who "was on earth in some unspecified time in the past" being thought of as a god or demi-god? Hercules, for example? What do you think that Carrier meant by that?
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:39 am
GakuseiDon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 am (which Carrier conflates incorrectly IMO with a 'historical Jesus')
that is totally false and makes you seem not intellectually honest. A true proposition is the following:

Carrier conflates correctly an "earthly Jesus considered lived in the recent past" with a 'historical Jesus'.

I have never seen Dr Carrier state things that way. Do you have any reference to where he has written that? Did he define what "recent past" meant in context?

(Edited to add) I just checked OHJ. On pages 10 and 160, Carrier writes about Ned Ludd and John Frum. He writes on page 10:

The same thing happened in Melanesian Cargo Cults, which still revere completely mythical heroes who were nevertheless quite rapidly placed in history and believed to be real (most famously 'Tom Navy' and 'John Frum'), again within mere decades of their supposed appearance

That doesn't seem consistent with the idea of conflating someone considered earthly who lived in the recent past being historical.
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:39 amBut an "earthly Jesus considered lived in the recent past" is not the Wells's Jesus, as you probably know.

Carrier is explicit when he says that the Doherty's Jesus is more easily defensible (=more probable) than the Wells's Jesus (about Paul). Hence you are clearly misinterpreting Carrier very badly.
I'm using the odds that Carrier himself gave, on page 594 of OHJ. You can disagree with the odds if you like, but those are the odds that he himself gives.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

It is really confused the way you would like to attribute to Carrier something he never said.
GakuseiDon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:07 am I have never seen Dr Carrier state things that way. Do you have any reference to where he has written that? Did he define what "recent past" meant in context?
The answer of Carrier quoted above by me is precisely the answer to the my question, where I asked him what he thinks about the Parvus's mythicist view (in that time Parvus was still mythicist) of a Jesus crucified in Judea in the recent past. Note that it is not precisely the Wells's view about a Jesus died in an undefinite place in a remote past. Carrier answers that he admits the possibility of the Wells's Jesus in a note of OHJ (you probably know which is that note).

Here Carrier refers to Well's Jesus (earthly but in distant past) more directly:

In OHJ it’s made clear I only defend minimal mythicism (Ch. 3), which makes no elaborate claims like that.
Although minimal mythicism is compatible with any timeline, in OHJ I assume that the “revealed death” occurred in the 30’s AD (in accordance with the “eons” logic we find in later documents like Hermas).

That still allows a possible ancient death (and hence Paul could be saying “we” in Romans 5 as in “humanity,” not “we” as in his current generation; likewise, he does not explicitly say the visions of Jesus occurred the third day after his death in 1 Cor. 15, only that he rose the third day after; Paul doesn’t actually say how long after that it was before Jesus revealed this). But I don’t see any need to argue for that. And I don’t anywhere in OHJ.
So Romans 5 poses no issue for OHJ.

(my bold) https://www.richardcarrier.info/archive ... ment-22654

It is clear that Carrier considers an "addition not necessary" to claim that the mythical Jesus could only be in a distant time, or only before the creation, or only in the recent past. He thinks - and I agree - that what is necessary is simply to argue that the mythical Jesus died in heaven, not on earth.
GakuseiDon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:07 am I'm using the odds that Carrier himself gave, on page 594 of OHJ. You can disagree with the odds if you like, but those are the odds that he himself gives.
you refer specifically to:
Made from sperm - best (2/1), worst (1/1)
Made from a woman - best (2/1), worst (1/1)
The Jesus of Revelation is made from sperm and made from a woman… ...only: in heaven. Hence I can't see how you can claim, of grace, that these claims are more probable «only» for a mythical earthly Jesus (beyond if ancient or recent).
"[N]o support for it in the background evidence, or indeed any evidence at all"? Really? No evidence of someone who "was on earth in some unspecified time in the past" being thought of as a god or demi-god? Hercules, for example? What do you think that Carrier meant by that?
Hercules, as demi-god working on earth, is the euhemerization of Sun (or of another deity), hence you are talking about the legend, not about the myth, of Hercules. And Hercules worked in a specified place in the past. Wells doesn't claim that the Paul's Jesus was crucified in Judea.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:39 am I know that the most part of the old mythicist authors agree with Carrier about the location of the death in heaven. The only exceptions are J.M. Robertson, Drews, Dujardin and Wells.

With Carrier : Couchoud, Ory, Fau, Las Vergnas, Smith, Rylands, Alfaric, Bob Price, all the Soviet scholars, Brandes, Sandler, Magne, Wautier, Stéphane. And naturally: Doherty.

Really, I should precise that, among the old mythicist authors, only Drews agrees with Wells about a Jesus died in an unspecified time and place on earth.

Dujardin and Robertson thought that, for the early Christians, Jesus died on earth but as effect of an old ritual, executed any year. This is not the same view of Wells.

About all the other mythicists listed above, I know with much certainty that they assume a celestial crucifixion for Jesus. Hence the Wells' theory of a mythical earthly Jesus is a strong minority among the mythicists of the past.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It should be noted that I am probably the foremost expert on the historicity debate specifically now,
He should probably do a PSA right now about the dangers of the sucking your own dick. Geez.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 am
It should be noted that I am probably the foremost expert on the historicity debate specifically now,
He should probably do a PSA right now about the dangers of the sucking your own dick. Geez.
Humbleness is not Carrier's strong suit. DCH :facepalm: