A smoking gun against the JC historicists?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: A smoking gun against the JC historicists?

Post by andrewcriddle »

andrewcriddle wrote:
PhilosopherJay wrote:Hi all

I have, I believe, found the image of the p46 fragment that L. Hurtado says contains a tau-rho representing text from Matthew 26.2. It is here http://csntm.org/manuscript/zoomify/GA_P45?page=0. However, with my poor eyes I am unable to see it. Can someone please direct me to it, either here or on any other internet page. Many thanks.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Hi Jay

The page with this passage is not part of the chester beatty collection. Almost all of P45 is held in the chester beatty collection but this page is held at Vienna (Pap. G. 31974 vienna). I doubt if it is available on-line.

Andrew Criddle
Found it !
Carta
the staurogram (or supposed staurogram it is badly preserved) is on the line between the 1 and 2 on the ruler.

AndrewCriddle
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

andrewcriddle wrote:
andrewcriddle wrote:

I have, I believe, found the image of the p46 fragment that L. Hurtado says contains a tau-rho representing text from Matthew 26.2. It is here http://csntm.org/manuscript/zoomify/GA_P45?page=0. However, with my poor eyes I am unable to see it. Can someone please direct me to it, either here or on any other internet page. Many thanks.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Hi Jay

The page with this passage is not part of the chester beatty collection. Almost all of P45 is held in the chester beatty collection but this page is held at Vienna (Pap. G. 31974 vienna). I doubt if it is available on-line.

Andrew Criddle
Found it !
Carta
the staurogram (or supposed staurogram it is badly preserved) is on the line between the 1 and 2 on the ruler.

AndrewCriddle
Well done, Andrew.....now we need a translation of the few relevant lines...
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi maryhelena,

I think you've picked up on the essence of Samuelson's incredible hypothesis. Basically to be put on pole, staked with a stake, or somehow suspended (raised in the air) on wood either before or after death are all described by the same overlapping terms in Greek (and Aramaic, Hebrew and Latin don't seem much different). So most of the time when the common words translated as cross or crucifixion (like stavroun or skolopisein) are used, we can't really tell what happened, except that someone was tortured and or killed in some gruesome way.

Samuelson seems to prefer the word "suspended," but even this might be misleading a bit because being killed with a stake (stavros) for example might not involve be lifted off the ground or suspended at all.

I think Samuelson's observation really allows us to reconsider the history of Christianity and especially the Crucifixion of Jesus from a lot of new points of view.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin

maryhelena wrote:
PhilosopherJay wrote:Hi maryhelena,
I'm wondering if the point about "the first example of that punishment being inflicted on a king" is not related to the beheading but to what would have been the case if Antigonus had been hung alive on that cross/stake/pole/suspension instrument. i.e. its the fact that such a suspension was not a postmortem suspension but that the victim, Antigonus in this case, was hung up alive. That it was this, a Jewish King, or any King, hung up alive, that was the 'it never happened before' argument of the sources. Whereas beheading was 'normal', suspending alive a King on a cross/stake/pole was not.

On the Nahum Pesher of the DSS.
GUNNAR SAMUELSSON
Crucifixion in Antiquity

The mention of a victim being suspended alive on wood is evident. The
text echoes some apparently known event in the past (Alexander Jannaeus'
execution of the eight hundred Pharisees is commonly suggested).127
The text, labeled as a crucifixion account by Hengel, Kuhn and Chapman,
1 2 8 describes some kind of an ante-mortem suspension - but does not
reveal which kind. The event is mentionable by the author of the Pesher
since it is a violation of the Jewish tradition in Deuteronomy 21.22-23 - a
/?0s£-mortem suspension. The offense was that the wicked man suspended
men, in this case alive, not that he did it in a particular way (e.g., nailed
them with outstretched limbs on a cross-shaped execution tool). The reason
why the author of the Pesher stresses that they were alive while suspended
could be, as has been seen earlier, that the norm was a postmortem
suspension (coherent with Deut 21.22-23).
GUNNAR SAMUELSSON seems to have made quite a name for himself - and caused some disquite among some christians regarding JC probably not hung up on the standard christian cross. His webpage gives many media links regarding his book.

http://www.exegetics.org/Media.html

I've not read Samuelsson' book - just searched for a few words....

However, this is interesting:
Gospels don't say Jesus was crucified, scholar claims

Samuelson wants to be very clear about what he is saying and what he is not saying.

Most importantly, he says, he is not claiming Jesus was not crucified - only that the Gospels do not say he was.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/0 ... ar-claims/

Interesting - so....the gospel JC suspended on a cross/stake/pole, tortured, scourged - did not die on that instrument of suspension - as that would defeat the purpose of such an instrument. The purpose being torture not execution of a live body. The crucifixion of dead bodies being to deny a normal burial - leaving the body to be ravished by the carrion birds. If this is so , then no wonder christians would be up in arms - but it might well throw some light on the fate of Antigonus...

Must read some more of this book - thanks PhilospherJay for mentioning it... :thumbup:

As of now: Suspension = bodies dead or alive. However, Deut 21.22-23."When someone is convicted of a crime punishable by death and is executed, and you hang him on a tree, his corpse must not remain all night upon the tree; you shall bury him that same day, for anyone hung on a tree is under God’s curse. You must not defile the land that the Lord your God is giving you for possession". A postmortem suspension for a short while - thus 'saving' the body from the carrion birds and not defiling the land. Living bodies tortured.

Crucifixion = suspended dead bodies denied burial and left for food for the carrion birds. The final humiliation. The final humiliation of a crucifixion that Antigonus did not undergo.

I wonder what Ehrman, with his no tomb no decent burial argument, would make of all this...i.e. re Samuelson, it looks to be that 'crucifixion' relates to the suspension of dead bodies that were to be denied a normal burial and left to the carrion birds.

-------------------
Bible doesn't say Jesus was crucified, scholar claims

He found very little evidence of crucifixion as a method of execution, though he did find corpses being suspended, people being hanged from trees, and more gruesome methods of execution such as impaling people by the belly or rectum.

The same Greek word was used to refer to all the different practices, he found.

That's what led him to doubt that the Gospels specify that Jesus was crucified.

At the time they were written, "there is no word in Greek, Latin, Aramaic or Hebrew that means crucifixion in the sense that we think of it," he says.

It's only after the death of Jesus - and because of the death of Jesus - that the Greek word "stauroun" comes specifically to mean executing a person on the cross, he argues.

http://www.thedominican.net/2010/07/bib ... t-say.html
[my bolding]
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

I think you've picked up on the essence of Samuelson's incredible hypothesis. Basically to be put on pole, staked with a stake, or somehow suspended (raised in the air) on wood either before or after death are all described by the same overlapping terms in Greek (and Aramaic, Hebrew and Latin don't seem much different). So most of the time when the common words translated as cross or crucifixion (like stavroun or skolopisein) are used, we can't really tell what happened, except that someone was tortured and or killed in some gruesome way.

Samuelson seems to prefer the word "suspended," but even this might be misleading a bit because being killed with a stake (stavros) for example might not involve be lifted off the ground or suspended at all.

I think Samuelson's observation really allows us to reconsider the history of Christianity and especially the Crucifixion of Jesus from a lot of new points of view.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Hi, PhilosopherJay

My head is spinning right now....those little grey cells are on overtime.... :D
I searched for the book on google - and found a first edition......I think there is now a third edition!
Yes, lots of Greek - which is over my head - but I get the summaries.. I'm basically jumping around in the book right now - and found this interesting, to me, footnote.
Page 251 footnote: 67 There is surprising silence about the fact that two of the best manuscripts of the
New Testament, the Codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus, describe Jesus as being killed by a
soldier's spear instead of the suspension per se. Matt 27.49 according to codex Sinaiticus:
"The others said, 'Let [him] be, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.' Another
took a spear and pierced his side, and out came water and blood" (Ol-
AGAOlTTOIGAerÖ | λφβΟΪΛΟ)Μ6ΝβΙ | epxeTÀIHAIÀCC<JL) | CO)N (corrected from
CCDCÂI in the codex) λγΤΟΝλλλΟΟ | ΛβλλΒΟ)λΟΓΧΗ | βΝΥ56ΝλγΤθγΤΉ |
ΤΤλβγρλΝΚλΙβ^Ηλ I θ6ΝΥΛΟ)ρΚλΙλΙ I Μλ).
And then I found this comment: It blows ones mind......
William Lane Craig, blog comment on Samuelsson' book:

I think your initial reaction, Karl, was and remains the correct one: this is an interesting claim which is of no historical or theological significance. In short, it doesn’t matter.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/was-jesu ... z30fhhJzeL
Samuelsson' book has an amazing insight re the gospel crucifixion story - perhaps we need another thread...

Thanks, Jay, for mentioning the book. I had previously learned a lot from google view on Chapman's book - but this book is well and truly a game changer re the gospel crucifixion story.
maryhelena wrote:
I'm wondering if the point about "the first example of that punishment being inflicted on a king" is not related to the beheading but to what would have been the case if Antigonus had been hung alive on that cross/stake/pole/suspension instrument. i.e. its the fact that such a suspension was not a postmortem suspension but that the victim, Antigonus in this case, was hung up alive. That it was this, a Jewish King, or any King, hung up alive, that was the 'it never happened before' argument of the sources. Whereas beheading was 'normal', suspending alive a King on a cross/stake/pole was not.

On the Nahum Pesher of the DSS.
GUNNAR SAMUELSSON
Crucifixion in Antiquity

The mention of a victim being suspended alive on wood is evident. The
text echoes some apparently known event in the past (Alexander Jannaeus'
execution of the eight hundred Pharisees is commonly suggested).127
The text, labeled as a crucifixion account by Hengel, Kuhn and Chapman,
1 2 8 describes some kind of an ante-mortem suspension - but does not
reveal which kind. The event is mentionable by the author of the Pesher
since it is a violation of the Jewish tradition in Deuteronomy 21.22-23 - a
/?0s£-mortem suspension. The offense was that the wicked man suspended
men, in this case alive, not that he did it in a particular way (e.g., nailed
them with outstretched limbs on a cross-shaped execution tool). The reason
why the author of the Pesher stresses that they were alive while suspended
could be, as has been seen earlier, that the norm was a postmortem
suspension (coherent with Deut 21.22-23).
GUNNAR SAMUELSSON seems to have made quite a name for himself - and caused some disquite among some christians regarding JC probably not hung up on the standard christian cross. His webpage gives many media links regarding his book.

http://www.exegetics.org/Media.html

I've not read Samuelsson' book - just searched for a few words....

However, this is interesting:
Gospels don't say Jesus was crucified, scholar claims

Samuelson wants to be very clear about what he is saying and what he is not saying.

Most importantly, he says, he is not claiming Jesus was not crucified - only that the Gospels do not say he was.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/0 ... ar-claims/

Interesting - so....the gospel JC suspended on a cross/stake/pole, tortured, scourged - did not die on that instrument of suspension - as that would defeat the purpose of such an instrument. The purpose being torture not execution of a live body. The crucifixion of dead bodies being to deny a normal burial - leaving the body to be ravished by the carrion birds. If this is so , then no wonder christians would be up in arms - but it might well throw some light on the fate of Antigonus...

Must read some more of this book - thanks PhilospherJay for mentioning it... :thumbup:

As of now: Suspension = bodies dead or alive. However, Deut 21.22-23."When someone is convicted of a crime punishable by death and is executed, and you hang him on a tree, his corpse must not remain all night upon the tree; you shall bury him that same day, for anyone hung on a tree is under God’s curse. You must not defile the land that the Lord your God is giving you for possession". A postmortem suspension for a short while - thus 'saving' the body from the carrion birds and not defiling the land. Living bodies tortured.

Crucifixion = suspended dead bodies denied burial and left for food for the carrion birds. The final humiliation. The final humiliation of a crucifixion that Antigonus did not undergo.

I wonder what Ehrman, with his no tomb no decent burial argument, would make of all this...i.e. re Samuelson, it looks to be that 'crucifixion' relates to the suspension of dead bodies that were to be denied a normal burial and left to the carrion birds.

-------------------
Bible doesn't say Jesus was crucified, scholar claims

He found very little evidence of crucifixion as a method of execution, though he did find corpses being suspended, people being hanged from trees, and more gruesome methods of execution such as impaling people by the belly or rectum.

The same Greek word was used to refer to all the different practices, he found.

That's what led him to doubt that the Gospels specify that Jesus was crucified.

At the time they were written, "there is no word in Greek, Latin, Aramaic or Hebrew that means crucifixion in the sense that we think of it," he says.

It's only after the death of Jesus - and because of the death of Jesus - that the Greek word "stauroun" comes specifically to mean executing a person on the cross, he argues.

http://www.thedominican.net/2010/07/bib ... t-say.html
[my bolding]
[/quote]
Last edited by maryhelena on Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
W.B. Yeats
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi andrewcriddle,

Wow. Great find, Andrew,

I magnified the area between 1 and 2 on the ruler by 300% and this is what I got.

I'll have to study and think about it a while, but the Tau-Rho symbol at first glance is not exactly jumping out at me.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
andrewcriddle wrote:
andrewcriddle wrote:

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Hi Jay

Andrew Criddle
Found it !
Carta

AndrewCriddle
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Seems to me that the key point of using a stake to exhibit a body, whether it is while being tortured alive and/or killed, or after the death, is means to make the event serve as a lesson to all who can see it. Basically, it means "Do what this fellow did and this could, no, will, happen to you!" It is meant to strike fear in the heart of anyone who holds similar views as the exhibited person.

DCH

Last edited by DCHindley on Sat May 03, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

PhilosopherJay wrote:we can't really tell what happened, except that someone was tortured and or killed in some gruesome way.
Torture and gruesome killing is sufficient to keep the atoning death as it was before.

maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Well now, Samuelsson has a new book in the works - in which, by the look of things, he will discuss the 'so‑called staurogram'. Unfortunately, I can't see any date for publication. The link below has a pdf from which the quote is taken. It's only a short article - not the new book...

Crucifixion in Early Christianity

GUNNAR SAMUELSSON

A basic theory that will be discussed is that the meaning of the words commonly
connected to crucifixion changed with the death of Jesus. The execution
Jesus charged the hitherto diversely used terms (see my book
Crucifixion in Antiquity: An Inquiry into the Background and Significance
of the New Testament Terminology of Crucifixion [Tübingen:
Mohr Siebeck, 2011]) with a historically new and distinct meaning,
that which we today call crucifixion.

In what sense does the usage of the terminology among the early Christians differ from
the earlier usage? Is it possible to trace any semantic evolution in the
texts at all? The reason behind the question is an objection raised
against my earlier book on crucifixion that the ambiguity of the earlier
texts diminishes or even disappears after the turn of the first Century.
An accompanying objection is that when the pictorial contributions of
the time, e.g., the so‑called staurogram, also are taken into consideration
the vague picture of the punishment becomes clear.

https://www.academia.edu/4167205/Crucif ... ristianity
[my bolding]

Methinks I'll be keeping a look out for this new book.....

Yes, of course, for the JC historicist it's a small matter what sort of suspension instrument the gospel JC was hung up on. (Fundamentalist might have a different take.....) However, for the ahistoricists who want to get a 'handle' on the gospel crucifixion story - then the work of Samuelsson is a gift to take with both hands... :D
W.B. Yeats
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

The gospel writers perhaps based the "suspension instrument" on Numbers 21:8.
And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
http://biblehub.com/numbers/21-8.htm
An archaelogical find of a copper snake in Midianite shrine may have some relation to the incident depicted in Numbers 21:8 according to the link below.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/israelexperie ... %20of.aspx
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

PhilosopherJay wrote:Hi andrewcriddle,

Wow. Great find, Andrew,

I magnified the area between 1 and 2 on the ruler by 300% and this is what I got.

I'll have to study and think about it a while, but the Tau-Rho symbol at first glance is not exactly jumping out at me.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Hi Jay

You are in the right section of the papyrus, but you need to magnify the right hand side of the fragment, not the left hand side as you have done.

Andrew Criddle