Mentalflatliner - what is reasonable?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Mental flatliner

Re: Mentalflatliner - what is reasonable?

Post by Mental flatliner »

beowulf wrote:I said that Hashem has no son who also is a god .The Father is not the god of Abraham .It should have been sufficient. You should not speak for other religions

The Christian god is father-son-holy_spirit this Christian god is not Hashem.
Christians are idolaters
What if I were to let rabbis speak for Judaism, who claim that the sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham was the first Passover (and the first redemption of a firstborn using a yearling lamb)?

Do you think they would agree with you, that the God of Abraham is NOT "hashem"?

Do you think they would say that "hashem" did NOT inspire Malachi and demand the respect of a father?
When Moses used the name YHWH and said, "You are the sons of the Lord your God" (literally, "adonai y'hovah"), was Moses confused?
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Judaism and Christianity are different religions. Jesus is only a man in Islam and only a man in Judaism

Your god is only a Christian god, he is not the god of Abraham ( Ibrahim).
Mental flatliner

beowulf wrote:Judaism and Christianity are different religions. Jesus is only a man in Islam and only a man in Judaism

Your god is only a Christian god, he is not the god of Abraham ( Ibrahim).
You don't have that authority.

If you don't want me speaking for Jews, how can you speak for Christians?

(And at what point do you feel responsible to admit that you're being dishonest? Do you have that much contempt for your own religious teachings?)
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Judaism and Islam say that Jesus is only a man.
Mental flatliner

beowulf wrote:Judaism and Islam say that Jesus is only a man.
Why do I care what they say?
(Better: why do I care what you claim they say?)

My only source is the Bible, and the Bible doesn't agree, and frankly neither should you.

Jesus of Nazareth was probably more influential than any 100 other leaders in world history combined. Common sense alone stands Jesus out as something greater than "only a man".
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

In Judaism and Islam Jesus is only a man and he is the slave of Allah.

Augustine of Hippo , the Great Christian Saint wrote that Judaism should drink the blood of their idol.

The Christian idol is very odd.

On the Creed
1. Receive, my children, the Rule of Faith, which is called the Creed And when ye have received it, write it in your heart, and be daily saying it to yourselves; before ye sleep, before ye go forth, arm you with your Creed.

10. In this is "the end of the Lord." The Jews hold Him, the Jews insult, the Jews bind Him, crown Him with thorns, dishonor Him with spitting, scourge Him, overwhelm Him with revilings, hang Him upon the tree, pierce Him with a spear, last of all bury Him. He was as it were left: but by whom? By those insulting ones.

15. "Forgiveness of sins." Let none say, "I have done this or that sin: perchance that is not forgiven me." What hast thou done? How great a sin hast thou done? Name any heinous thing thou hast committed, heavy, horrible, which thou shudderest even to think of: have done what thou wilt: hast thou killed Christ? There is not than that deed any worse, because also than Christ there is nothing better. What a dreadful thing is it to kill Christ! Yet the Jews killed Him, and many afterwards believed on Him and drank His blood: they are forgiven the sin which they committed.

Early Christian Writings
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Mental flatliner wrote:Jesus of Nazareth was probably more influential than any 100 other leaders in world history combined.
The narrative about the biblical character Jesus of Nazareth predominated as part of theocratic rule in Europe for much of the last 1500 yrs - theocratic rule in the UK; France (before their revolution); Russia, under the Tsars (before the Bolshevik revolution); Italy (even after the negation of the Papal State)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Beowulf, can you explain why Christians are idolaters if we don't worship idols? If you think we do worship idols, could you please name those idols?
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

TedM wrote:IMO there is no such thing as a Christian who doesn't interpret history. The faith requires belief in historical claims.
Certainly Christians have a view on history. But if you're talking with them about history, so do you. So, I would think, does every educated person. Surely?
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »