Crucifixion of Inanna ?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John T

Re: Crucifixion of Inanna ?

Post by John T »

cienfuegos wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote:
cienfuegos wrote:It makes no sense whatsoever to point to insignificant differences like Ianna was hanged on hook, but Jesus was hanged from a T-shaped cross.
I think it does, if the claim is something like "Inanna was crucified, just like Jesus." While Carrier is clear in his book, he is much less clear in some of his on-line articles. I give two examples below.
You seem to be arguing against a straw man. No one is saying that "Inanna was crucified just like Jesus." Your Carrier quotes demonstrate that he argues against that notion himself. Again you are stirring tempests in teapots.
Carrier has repeatedly used the fallacious line: "Inanna was nailed up, basically crucified". Yet, even though Carrier got busted big time on this forum for misleading his audience, I correctly predicted that his followers would down play the deception as trifle or pretend that it never, ever happened.

To his followers; Carrier can do no wrong even when he is clearly doing wrong. :facepalm:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Sheshbazzar

Post by Sheshbazzar »

I'm no fan no follower of Carrier. I have never visited his sites, never read nor purchased any of his book.
The only exposure I have ever had to anything he has written or is said to have said, is confined to those comments that I occasionally encounter on this site.
Carrier has repeatedly used the fallacious line: "Inanna was nailed up, basically crucified". Yet, even though Carrier got busted big time on this forum for misleading his audience, I correctly predicted that his followers would down play the deception as trifle or pretend that it never, ever happened.

To his followers; Carrier can do no wrong even when he is clearly doing wrong. :facepalm:

John T
Sorry John,
But based on the usages and meanings of the Hebrew idiom and Greek terminology, in the matter of Carrier stating that "Inanna was nailed up, basically crucified", he is not misleading anyone in this matter, and most certainly is not 'wrong'.
He simply possesses a much better education in the ancient languages than you, and is thus more fully aware of the original usages and breadth of application of the terms.
You, apparently are limited to English language Bible translations and are thus under the false impression that the only means to 'crucify' is by means of fastening to a 'cross' shaped pole. Nothing could be further from the truth on this matter.
The Greek term that you see 'translated' as 'crucified' signifies in Greek 'to be impaled' and in the Hebrew 'to be hung' without regard to what shape object the victim is impaled or hung upon.

I suggest that you spend your time more productively in learning a bit of Hebrew and Greek, or drop the subject, as you now are only broadcasting your present state of ignorance in these matters to everyone.

Sheshbazzar
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Sheshbazzar wrote:
Sorry John,
But based on the usages and meanings of the Hebrew idiom and Greek terminology, in the matter of Carrier stating that "Inanna was nailed up, basically crucified", he is not misleading anyone in this matter, and most certainly is not 'wrong'.

The Greek term that you see 'translated' as 'crucified' signifies in Greek 'to be impaled' and in the Hebrew 'to be hung' without regard to what shape object the victim is impaled or hung upon.
Cheers. This? -
Sheshbazzar wrote:
It is the clause from Deuteronomy 21:23
("For anyone hung (Heb, 'talah ') is accursed of Elohim: ")
The clause states that to be 'hung' is to be under the curse of Elohim.

The clause of the curse does not specify where, how, or upon what the victim must be 'hung' in order to be subject to the curse.

To be 'hung' is in Torah usage the equivalent of 'stauroō' ('impaled') of the Greek, and 'crucifigatur' of the Latin. (but forget the Latin's falsely implied required 'cross' form, as such a T form is not at all implied by, nor required by, the Hebrew and Greek that the Latin incorrectly "translates")

'hanging' or being 'hung' - upon anything at all- is the Scriptural equivalent of 'crucifixion' (which did not and does not in Hebrew or Greek require that a 'cross' form need be employed for it to be a 'crucifixion').

A meat hook would serve.

Ianna being 'hung' upon a hook would, by both the ancient Hebrew idiom, and the ancient Greek terminology, qualify as being regarded as being a 'crucifixion'.

Sheshbazzar.
John T

Post by John T »

Sheshabazzar posted: "You, [John T] apparently are limited to English language Bible translations and are thus under the false impression that the only means to 'crucify' is by means of fastening to a 'cross' shaped pole. Nothing could be further from the truth on this matter."...Sheshabazzar

I did not imply that.
It was Carrier that implied that.
Why is that still so confusing to you? Oh that's right, you refuse to watch the video and see for yourself exactly what Carrier said.

Never mind. :facepalm:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Sheshbazzar

Post by Sheshbazzar »

John T wrote:
John T wrote:Carrier has repeatedly used the fallacious line: "Inanna was nailed up, basically crucified".
I did not imply that.

:facepalm:
The first page of this thread makes it very clear what the dispute was about, objections to Carrier's broad usage of the term 'crucifixion' in referring to the matter of death of assorted ancient deities, with focus on 'The 'CRUCIFIXION' of Iaana' in particular.
Oh that's right, you refuse to watch the video ...
But isn't it a fact, that if I did watch Carrier's video John, (which indeed, I never have) you would use that as being 'evidence' that I am a 'follower' of Carrier' ? :roll:

There are several good reasons that I do not watch any such video's, nor ever quote nor purchase the writings of such authors, not even ones that are reported to align with my own views. And this very exchange is one fine example of why I do not.

This thread is as close to discussing the content of any religion oriented video I that have ever participated in.
As I have said before, all that I know of Carrier is what little I pick-up on within these threads.
Exchanges such as this one, only make it more certain that as a matter of principal and ethics, that I will NOT watch any such videos, nor read his, nor any other currently popular religious authors books.
This isn't the first time I've had to endure this kind of stupid horse shit; Previously it was 'The Da Vinci Code' that I was slandered over, although I have never in my life so much as opened a cover on that book.

Ianna was in effect 'crucified' by being 'HUNG' on a 'HOOK' whether you have the intelligence and knowledge to recognize and concede that fact or not.
In the Iaana story she was, (Greek) 'stauroō' = 'impaled' = (Latin) 'crucifigatur' = (English) 'crucified' impaled upon a hook.

The world rolls on, and knowledge increases (at least for those who are willing to learn) You can learn, or remain intransigently ignorant, That is entirely up to you.
John T

Post by John T »

Sheshbazzar wrote:
John T wrote:
John T wrote:Carrier has repeatedly used the fallacious line: "Inanna was nailed up, basically crucified".
I did not imply that.

:facepalm:
The first page of this thread makes it very clear what the dispute was about, objections to Carrier's broad usage of the term 'crucifixion' in referring to the matter of death of assorted ancient deities, with focus on 'The 'CRUCIFIXION' of Iaana' in particular.
Oh that's right, you refuse to watch the video ...
But isn't it a fact, that if I did watch Carrier's video John, (which indeed, I never have) you would use that as being 'evidence' that I am a 'follower' of Carrier' ? :roll:

There are several good reasons that I do not watch any such video's, nor ever quote nor purchase the writings of such authors, not even ones that are reported to align with my own views. And this very exchange is one fine example of why I do not.

This thread is as close to discussing the content of any religion oriented video I that have ever participated in.
As I have said before, all that I know of Carrier is what little I pick-up on within these threads.
Exchanges such as this one, only make it more certain that as a matter of principal and ethics, that I will NOT watch any such videos, nor read his, nor any other currently popular religious authors books.
This isn't the first time I've had to endure this kind of stupid horse shit; Previously it was 'The Da Vinci Code' that I was slandered over, although I have never in my life so much as opened a cover on that book.

Ianna was in effect 'crucified' by being 'HUNG' on a 'HOOK' whether you have the intelligence and knowledge to recognize and concede that fact or not.
In the Iaana story she was, (Greek) 'stauroō' = 'impaled' = (Latin) 'crucifigatur' = (English) 'crucified' impaled upon a hook.

The world rolls on, and knowledge increases (at least for those who are willing to learn) You can learn, or remain intransigently ignorant, That is entirely up to you.
Thank you for proving that some people just don't care to embrace the truth but would rather destroy the truth to prevents others from using the truth.

John T