Any Ancient Examples of Titulus or Placard with Crucifixions

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
PhilosopherJay

Any Ancient Examples of Titulus or Placard with Crucifixions

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi All,

Can anybody cite a single case where a titulus or placard was used in a crucifixion outside the gospels? I am looking for sources that have not been influenced by the gospels, so Eusebius and later Christians don't count.

Many Christian scholars claim there are ancient sources, but they all cite each other instead of producing the sources. This seems to me to be another case of Christians making up a fictional story and then citing each other to prove it is true.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
andrewcriddle

Re: Any Ancient Examples of Titulus or Placard with Crucifix

Post by andrewcriddle »

See for example Cassius Dio Book 54
at any rate, when Caepio's father freed one of the two slaves who had accompanied his son in his flight because this slave had wished to defend his young master when he met with death, but in the case of the second slave, who had deserted his son, led him through the midst of the Forum with an inscription making known the reason why he was to be put to death, and afterwards crucified him, the emperor was not vexed.
Andew Criddle
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this. I appreciate it.

I have already examined it and if one looks at the full text it is obvious that the titulus is being used in connection with the execution. The crucifixion of the dead body is an incidental add-on and has nothing to do with the titulus.

Caepio had led a revolt against Augustus Caesar. One of his slaves supported him when he fled Rome and one of his slaves stayed loyal to Augustus. Caepio's father is trying to provoke Augustus Caesar by executing the slave who stayed loyal to Augustus. He marches the slave through the forum with the Titulus to make sure that Augustus will hear about his execution of the slave. If Augustus tries to interfere and reward the slave's loyalty, Caepio's father can claim that Augustus incites slaves to rebel against their masters. This will unite the leaders of Roman society to overthrow Augustus. Cassius Dio praises Augustus for not falling into the trap and showing moderation by allowing Caepio's father to execute and crucify the dead body of the Augustus-loyal slave.

This is my primary example of how Christian scholars have misunderstood the text to conclude that Tituli were a part of any crucifixion, let alone a normal part of the process.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
andrewcriddle wrote:See for example Cassius Dio Book 54
at any rate, when Caepio's father freed one of the two slaves who had accompanied his son in his flight because this slave had wished to defend his young master when he met with death, but in the case of the second slave, who had deserted his son, led him through the midst of the Forum with an inscription making known the reason why he was to be put to death, and afterwards crucified him, the emperor was not vexed.
Andew Criddle
Last edited by PhilosopherJay on Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

I doubt seroiusly that they had a rule against it. having to prove every single hair in place is silly. next you will say "does anyone of any historical evidence about what side Jesus parted his hair on? we have to know if he parted his hair on the historical side that most men used back then."

they could use a placard. we can't prove the resurrection by that placard and you can't prove against it. Its' just a part of the story. that's all.
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/