1 Clement & the Gospel of Matthew?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
davidmartin

Re: 1 Clement & the Gospel of Matthew?

Post by davidmartin »

Do with it what you will, but the answer did match the question.
Sigh, yes ok I should of been more careful there and left out Sheol. It's only hell i'm concerned with as regards Paul
I would prefer you to address what i'm really saying though not point out a silly mistake of mine!

The whole concept of an Odes of Solomon primacy is dangling in front of you...
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:44 am
Do with it what you will, but the answer did match the question.
Sigh, yes ok I should of been more careful there and left out Sheol. It's only hell i'm concerned with as regards Paul
I would prefer you to address what i'm really saying though not point out a silly mistake of mine!
I had no idea what you were "really saying" at the time. I was answering your question in good faith, nothing more. I did not know that you put Sheol there by mistake.
The whole concept of an Odes of Solomon primacy is dangling in front of you...
I have read Stevan Davies on this topic (several times), as well as J. Rendel Harris, and am quite open to considering the Odes of Solomon to be early, but I have not made up my mind on that yet. Why is it "dangling in front" of me, though? What do you mean?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Hi Ben, no problem and I appreciate your reply

When the Odes is placed early, say 50's AD, a lot of things fall into place
First it explains Paul and that is no small thing. Instead of being a complete and total innovator, changing an original Torah observant Jewish group into something very different - he is seen to emerge out of a 'spiritual Torah', mystical sect that already believes many of the things he preaches
He then goes out with a believable set of innovations with his gospel

Secondly the 'Judaisers' are revealed to not be the original Christians, but a divergent offshoot that were opposed to the Odes community

Thirdly it explains why Paul is so keen to deny ever having been in Jerusalem in Galatians 14 years ago
If he had been, he would have been around the Odes community... an association which is embarrassing when dealing with the Judaisers. Why would he be embarrassed about meeting the same people earlier who he is talking to? Must have been a different group

So putting the Odes first answers a lot of questions
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:20 am Hi Ben, no problem and I appreciate your reply

When the Odes is placed early, say 50's AD, a lot of things fall into place
First it explains Paul and that is no small thing. Instead of being a complete and total innovator, changing an original Torah observant Jewish group into something very different - he is seen to emerge out of a 'spiritual Torah', mystical sect that already believes many of the things he preaches
He then goes out with a believable set of innovations with his gospel

So putting the Odes first answers a lot of questions
I agree that there are palpable benefits to dating the Odes early.
Secondly the 'Judaisers' are revealed to not be the original Christians, but a divergent offshoot that were opposed to the Odes community
My own view of the various possible groups which existed at this time makes it difficult for me to accept a facile identification of which group was "original." Originality, for me, depends upon exactly which aspect of the religion(s) or sect(s) one is discussing.
Thirdly it explains why Paul is so keen to deny ever having been in Jerusalem in Galatians 14 years ago
If he had been, he would have been around the Odes community... an association which is embarrassing when dealing with the Judaisers. Why would he be embarrassed about meeting the same people earlier who he is talking to? Must have been a different group
I personally think that Paul's motive is transparent in Galatians as it stands. He is claiming ⁠— vehemently ⁠— that his gospel came from God, not from humans, so it makes sense that he should be at pains to play down the extent of his contact with those who were already preaching some form of gospel before he came around. Likewise, a scientist being investigated for patent infringement would likely want to play down the extent of his contact with with the scientist whose patent he is accused of infringing (or with his/her ideas).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

I personally think that Paul's motive is transparent in Galatians as it stands. He is claiming ⁠— vehemently ⁠— that his gospel came from God, not from humans, so it makes sense that he should be at pains to play down the extent of his contact with those who were already preaching some form of gospel before he came around. Likewise, a scientist being investigated for patent infringement would likely want to play down the extent of his contact with with the scientist whose patent he is accused of infringing (or with his/her ideas).
Yes, so the question becomes what was that 'some form' of before and who might they be
It might be over simplifying but it seems to either be the Nazarene's/Judaisers - which is the only theory I've ever heard talked about - or someone else. The Odes fits in with this providing a second option, but this I don't hear talked about. It seems like a massive unexplored area..

What is odd about Galatians is Paul has no issue with meeting Peter even if he disagreed with him on some points, yet very strongly denies meeting anyone else.. this would make more sense if the someone else wasn't a Nazarene/Judaiser. There's something odd going on
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:13 am
Yes, so the question becomes what was that 'some form' of before and who might they be
It might be over simplifying but it seems to either be the Nazarene's/Judaisers - which is the only theory I've ever heard talked about - or someone else. The Odes fits in with this providing a second option, but this I don't hear talked about. It seems like a massive unexplored area..
Again, the overall view I have come to involves multiple groups in various combinations and overlaps. We may know a few of the names of these groups: the brethren of the Lord, the Way, the Twelve, the Pillars, Nasoraeans, Galileans, and Hemerobaptists, among others; and I suspect that most of the sects named after particular people (Christians, Simonians, and so on) came out from those groups. I am not sure what to call the Odes people.

(My current view of the term Nazarene is that it is the result of a confusion between Nazirites, with a zayin, and Nasoraeans, with a tsade. But that could change.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Interesting! This is almost impossible task isn't it
My pet theory is Dositheus (the gift of God) was John (a Baptist). The original Father/Jesus. If Dositheus wasn't John maybe he was 'Lazarus'
You can see in the gospels the Christ moving through different people, John, Lazarus and so on, then there's 3 in the tomb at the end
After he got killed Simon and James (Clebius) took over and they were crucified, about 48AD not 33AD
The mythical Odes people came out of here. Nazara, truth probably were called Nazarenes. Truly messianic and pure spirituality
What occurred then, was it grew popular and the offshoots started, or merged with other similar or previous ones
One was the Judaiser. They had their own special apostles like Peter (Cerinthus) and were Samaritans opposed to the Odes people and Paul
The other was Paul who was Elymas/Eleazar of Josephus an apostate from the Odes community. He persecuted the others while he still was preaching his gospel, obviously
Only years later did these 2 patch up their differences. Christianity is a hybrid of all 3
Anyway the only really crazy thing is the Queen Helena of Abadienes link that clearly has something to do with it. Could she be Simon's Helena? That would make a wealthy 'Magdalene' figure indeed
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm Interesting! This is almost impossible task isn't it
Yes.
The original Father/Jesus. If Dositheus wasn't John maybe he was 'Lazarus'
I have come to suspect that Lazarus (= same name as Eleazar) is one of a group of individuals known to us from the Talmud whose identities the tradition (especially the Johannine tradition) has garbled and transformed for Christian purposes: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2575#p100511. There is a Boethus, his daughter Martha, his daughter Mary (possibly a mistake for Martha in the Jewish tradition itself), and his son Eleazar, potentially giving us a Lazarus/Eleazar with two sisters: Mary and Martha. There is also a son named Joazar, probably unrelated to all of this, and another son named Simon, possibly the inspiration for Simon the Leper/Pharisee. And, finally, there is a Nakdimon/Nicodemus, whose daughter Mary is mentioned in the same breath as Boethus' daughter Martha in a Midrash.

My suspicion is that Christian origins were so obscure that little was known of them, and other traditions and sects had to be plundered for details; and of course those details were modified over time and retelling, with plenty of disruption owing from the war between Judea and Rome.

I am open to the crucifixion of Simon/Symeon and James/Jacob being one of those histories which later Christians plundered. I do not have a bead on this angle yet, but it has been on my mind for some time.
Nazara, truth probably were called Nazarenes.
I did not understand this sentence.
Anyway the only really crazy thing is the Queen Helena of Abadienes link that clearly has something to do with it. Could she be Simon's Helena? That would make a wealthy 'Magdalene' figure indeed
That is yet another angle I am trying to figure out.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pmOnly years later did these 2 patch up their differences. Christianity is a hybrid of all 3
For whatever it may be worth, I think that recognizing this sort of multiplicity at the heart of it all is, at the very least, the right instinct.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

whose daughter Mary is mentioned in the same breath as Boethus' daughter Martha in a Midrash.
curious, could there be a Nicodemus/Queen Helena connection?
Helena was married to Monobaz/Bazeus/Monobazus (Lazarus / Boethus???) her brother! (Talmud alert)
As it says in the Thunder Perfect Mind "I am the sister of my husband"
After all the Talmud says Jesus was 'close to the authorities' then there's the Iranian link to Magi...
Nazara, truth probably were called Nazarenes.
ah, for some reason i though 'Nazara' meant 'truth' in Hebrew or some other langauge
on checking i remembered it from the gospel of Philip which says that's what it means
but i don't know if thats 'true' or not!
I am open to the crucifixion of Simon/Symeon and James/Jacob being one of those histories which later Christians plundered. I do not have a bead on this angle yet, but it has been on my mind for some time
What bothered me about this, is a James was said to lead the church after Jesus, yet this would have them both
crucified at the same time. Unless this 'Jesus' was a previous Father, say John, and James did lead the church
after him with Simon being more of a travelling preacher

I'm sure Mary/Ignatius letter which contains clues like it says
" to decide the important question concerning the children of the two women, when it was unknown to whom these respectively belonged"
What two women could this be?

There's also the curious connections between Simon Magus's life and Jesus
Why does Simon rescue Helena in Tyre and Jesus make the same journey in an odd passage in Mark?
Was Helena (Queen) captured and sold into slavery and Simon rescued her together with her daughter Mary of Helene (Mary Magda Helene)