Is Secret Mark a Judaizing interpolation?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Is Secret Mark a Judaizing interpolation?

Post by Giuseppe »

Since the episode of the Young Rich is clearly anti-Jewish, the Young being rich in virtue of the his being Jew, then I wonder if the Secret Mark, by giving basically an extreme possibility of salvation to this Young (=Israel), was meant to attack the gentile Christians as not the true recipients of «the mistery of the Kingdom of God»:

But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God.

Hence Secret Mark is still an interpolation, even if it is not an interpolation. :wtf:
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
lsayre

Re: Is Secret Mark a Judaizing interpolation?

Post by lsayre »

A good bit of "projecting" is all I see here. As in projecting a commonly held (albeit repugnant) outlook of the 20th and 21st centuries back to the first century CE.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

lsayre wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:51 am a commonly held (albeit repugnant) outlook of the 20th and 21st centuries
Is necessary to point out here that by «richness» of the Young what is meant is the Jewish possession of the Scriptures etc. as opposed to the gentiles being without these things?
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

So Jesus gathered a following among the Jews by insisting that they abandon their scripture and follow him. Does this make any valid level of sense within the timeframe of Jesus, or is it also merely a projection of someones modern thought backward in time?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

lsayre wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:35 am So Jesus gathered a following among the Jews by insisting that they abandon their scripture and follow him. Does this make any valid level of sense within the timeframe of Jesus, or is it also merely a projection of someones modern thought backward in time?
See that it is not only me to claim that the "richness" that is meant for the Young is allegorical and refers to the Jews being heirs according to the old Alliance, etc etc. Please, spare me that long and boring exegesis (that also exists).