Justin and Tertullian refer to the census archives

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Roger Pearse

Re: Justin and Tertullian refer to the census archives

Post by Roger Pearse »

Mental flatliner wrote:
Roger Pearse wrote:Eusebius gives 2016 AA, which seems to be about 1 BC in our reckoning, in the 194th Olympiad, for the birth of Christ; and dies in year 18 of Tiberius, AA 2047, about 31 AD I think.

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/jerom ... _part2.htm
I don't take Eusebius to be a valid source for many reasons:
I am sorry - I should have added some context, for I see that I have misled you.

Eusebius of Caesarea is the father of modern chronolography, because he was the first to attempt to gather all the various dating systems and construct a world chronology, using the novel book-with-pages format to tabulate it. He was often wrong, - he didn't know that there were three emperors named Gordian rather than two, for instance - and of course he was at the mercy of some very dodgy source material, and he had no access to AD and BC - AA he invented himself. In that url, the calculation of AD and BC is mine, based on what the sources I had were. But I wondered what he said, because it is interesting to see a first attempt.
1--He was born 300 years after Jesus and can do nothing more than rely on other sources (like the ones I'm using) (etc)
True. The interest is that he was living in the ancient world in Palestine.

All the best,

Roger
Mental flatliner

Re: Justin and Tertullian refer to the census archives

Post by Mental flatliner »

Roger Pearse wrote:Eusebius of Caesarea is the father of modern chronolography, because he was the first to attempt to gather all the various dating systems and construct a world chronology
I would argue that he was not the first, but that he took older attempts and improved (or attempted to improve).

Josephus for example attempted to correlate the Olympiads with local strategies as well as give at least a gross outline of a Jewish era, though he didn't name it.

(For that matter, both Genesis 5 and the Sumerian Kings List are attempts at world-oriented dating.)

Nevertheless, Eusebius was too far out of context to have been any kind of authority on Jesus of Nazareth or related events. The fact that he relied on faulty information makes him even more questionable. I trust him only when he's copying older sources.