Reza Aslan: Jesus as a zealot

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ghost

Re: Reza Aslan: Jesus as a zealot

Post by ghost »

I think leading the most important civil war in the history of the west/occident qualifies as "zealotry" in Aslan's sense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar%27s_Civil_War

But Caesar did also tax reform, debt reform (cf. forgiving sins), land reform (cf. parable of the tenants), fed crowds by distributing wheat (cf. feedings), was an orator and won battles (cf. words and wonders), had a triumphal entry in Rome after the final battle of Munda (cf. triumphal entry), had a last supper with his legates (cf. last supper), the next day was going to be crowned as king of the Romans (cf. INRI) but was assassinated and his wax figure crucified (cf. crucifixion), cremated on the third day (cf. resurrection).

Now here's another thing to consider: Josephus was not only of Hasmonean origin, but he defected to the successors of the Julians (the Flavians). Also, the first of those successors (Vespasian) became emperor in Judea and oriented the Divus Julius statues towards the east. That should explain why Hasmoneanness was used to anchor Julianness in the process of diegetic transposition.

Also relevant: Josephus had a friend called "Bannus" who was a Jewish hermite "in the wilderness" who did baptisms and ate weird food. It's not hard to imagine that Pompey was transposed to John the Baptist by using someone like Bannus as an anchor.

Josephus was a Jewish commander in Galilee. That would explain why Gaul is transposed to Galilee.

There may be other such coincidences that then turn out to be more than just coincidences.
ghost

Post by ghost »

Another point: both Caesar (44 BC) and Antigonus (37 BC) were crucified by same crucifier (Mark Antony, as in "gospel of Mark"), who was the main priest of the Divus Iulius cult (i.e. flamen Divi Iulii):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamen_Divi_Iulii
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

ghost

What is relevant to discuss in this thread is Reza Aslan's book Zealot.

If it's Caesar you want to discuss - I see you have your own thread in which to do so: Caesar-Jesus parallels.

So, please don't hijack this thread with bringing Caesar Jesus theories into it.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
ghost

Post by ghost »

Sorry. Aslan defines a zealot as a revolutionist who is a contrarian against the authorities. That's why I mentioned that.
steve43

Post by steve43 »

ghost wrote:Another point: both Caesar (44 BC) and Antigonus (37 BC) were crucified by same crucifier (Mark Antony, as in "gospel of Mark"), who was the main priest of the Divus Iulius cult (i.e. flamen Divi Iulii):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamen_Divi_Iulii
Ghost, you are far more entertaining than the Aslan tripe that is over-hyped to begin with.

BTW, Antony hardly crucified Julius Caesar. He was his friend and ally, and second-in command under Caesar for most of Caesar's life.
ghost

Post by ghost »

steve43 wrote:BTW, Antony hardly crucified Julius Caesar. He was his friend and ally, and second-in command under Caesar for most of Caesar's life.
His wax figure though:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=606
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Update on the Zealot movie.....
Harry Potter Producer to Shepherd Movie Based on Reza Aslan’s Controversial ‘Zealot’

David Heyman has come on board to produce a movie adaptation of Reza Aslan’s controversial “Zealot: The Life And Times Of Jesus Of Nazareth” for Lionsgate. And this one, although it’s based on the life of Jesus, has even more potential to inflame the sentiments of the faithful than “Noah” did, as the book incited considerable controversy on its publication.

The studio has also hired former Focus Features topper James Schamus to adapt Aslan’s book, which is based on what the author says are historical facts about the prophet’s life, as opposed to the miracles that Christians believe he performed. “Aslan offers a standard liberal-skeptical re-reading of Jesus,” said the National Catholic Register.

Lionsgate acquired the movie rights to the bestseller in December. Aslan said at the time that Lionsgate’s vision for “Zealot” is aligned with his objective in writing the book: “to illuminate the life of Jesus in a humanistic, as opposed to religious, context.”

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/harry-potte ... 45788.html

W.B. Yeats
steve43

Post by steve43 »

I bet he wrote the screenplay first, then wrote the book when the screenplay didn't sell.

The book, apparently successful, attracted Hollywood interest.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

A poster on Bart Ehrman's blog asked if he had read Reza Aslan's book: Zealot

toddfrederick: If you do read it, I would be interested in your thoughts on Aslan’s thesis….not on his scholarship but on his thesis.
Bart Ehrman: August 18, 2013

Thanks for this. I have no plans to read the book, but who knows? Like most scholars, I almost never a read book written by someone outside a field writing for a popular audience. (Too much scholarship to read; too few hours in the day to read it!) Of course, I may make an exception, but I have no plans. I should say that his basic thesis has been around for a very long time — it’s the view set forth in the first book about the historical Jesus ever written, by Reimarus, in the mid 1770s! It’s most recent proponent has been S. G. F. Brandon — who *is* an expert. Few scholars have ever been convinced.

I should also say that it’s very hard to evaluate the thesis without evaluating the scholarship, since for the thesis to be convincing it has to be based on convincing scholarship!
http://ehrmanblog.org/did-luke-original ... pters-1-2/

All this sound a bit 'closed shop' to me.....
W.B. Yeats
toejam

Post by toejam »

^Bart did end up doing a full review of Aslan's book. He posted about 6 blogposts on it. Probably later last year or early this year. I forget.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208