"man carrying a jar of water"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

"man carrying a jar of water"

Post by Giuseppe »

So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 15 He will show you a large room upstairs, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there.”

16 The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

(Mark 14:13-16)

Apuleius describes an entire procession and at the its head, more precisely:

The bright white sanctuary curtains were drawn, and we prayed to the august face of the Goddess, as a priest made his ritual rounds of the temple altars, praying and sprinkling water in libation from a chalice filled from a spring within the walls.

https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PIT ... nAssXI.php

So, was Jesus saying: follow the person who is at the head* of a religious procession and see where is the temple where he leads the crowd ?

*: you can't not see him
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: "man carrying a jar of water"

Post by Giuseppe »

A possibility is that the man carrying a jar of water is someway related to the Sower of the parable. The water given in libation works as the seeds of the parable.
Giuseppe

Re: "man carrying a jar of water"

Post by Giuseppe »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 pm A possibility is that the man carrying a jar of water is someway related to the Sower of the parable. The water given in libation works as the seeds of the parable.
Giuseppe wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:50 am
καὶ ἀποστέλλει δύο τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ καὶ λέγει αὐτοῖς Ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν, καὶ ἀπαντήσει ὑμῖν ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων· ἀκολουθήσατε αὐτῷ,

So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you.
(Mark 14:13)

κεράμιον is anagram of Markion.

So Couchoud:

The strange command given by Jesus to his disciples to follow a man carrying a keramion of water, and the rather mysterious manner in which he gives them to understand that they are to follow this man—i.e., Marcion, whose name is a sort of anagram of keramion—instructs the Christian to observe the Marcionite rite in which water only was drunk in the eucharist (R. Stahl).

(Creation of Christ, p. 188, n. 369)
But if the Sower is the Demiurge, then the Pitcher is the anti-Sower: he gives the grace (=water) to all the seeds, beyond where they are thrown by the Sower.