Prof Vinzent on Detering and Couchoud

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Prof Vinzent on Detering and Couchoud

Post by Giuseppe »

Having mentioned my caveat (it is simply for the self-branding of Detering as radical, something I would not wish to claim for myself, not because I am shy, but simply as I do not think it a need to be radical for the sake of being radical), I have engaged with Detering and the Holland radicals, as I find it necessary to take their position into the field, as they mark the other goal post between which the field moves. So, it was not ignorance, rather scepticism towards another form of radicalisation which made me not quote and engage with him in the earlier books. In the present book on Offener Anfang, however, I thought I developed more ideas that came closer to Detering's work, hence, I thought I should at least mention his position, whereas from the real radicals which inspired me more, I have always looked at the work of Paul-Louis Couchoud, who died in the same year, just a few days, before I was born. His work I always consult, as he is and remains a continuous inspiration, such an intelligent reader of texts, perhaps because he is a poet and philosopher and not a classicist, patristic and New Testament scholar. Having said this, I think Detering has learned not little from Couchoud, or if not, they developed quite similar ideas.

Forgive me, if I have not explicitly engaged with either Detering or Couchoud - something I should do, even though, and this might explain the neglect so far, my interlocutors were rather on the other side of the spectrum to whom both these names would mean nothing at all and to whom already my own work is probably as far outside of their remit, as that of both Detering and Couchoud

(my bold)

http://markusvinzent.blogspot.com/2019/ ... g.html?m=1
Last edited by Giuseppe on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Prof Vinzent on Detering and Couchoud

Post by Giuseppe »

The his reader:

Thereby Trobisch is arguing that when “Paul” allegedly writes in 1Cor 21-24 with his “own hand,” it corroborates the authenticity of the letter. It is preposterous. He is preaching to converts. Only those who already accept Paul as the author of the first documents of Christianity will see Trobisch’s tale as a convincing argument. All of Trobisch’s arguments are for converts. Even my students are aware that forgers know the tricks to make their forgeries plausible

Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.