Where it is said that the rock where Andromeda was bound is a crux?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Where it is said that the rock where Andromeda was bound is a crux?

Post by Giuseppe »

It seems that a Latin poet wrote so but I don't find the reference.

Thanks in advance if you find it.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
DCHindley

Re: Where it is said that the rock where Andromeda was bound is a crux?

Post by DCHindley »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 am It seems that a Latin poet wrote so but I don't find the reference.

Thanks in advance if you find it.
Sorry, I had previously posted that link to a versified English rendition of the Andromeda/Perseus drama before I realized it was a modern version dependent on undisclosed sources.

The Jewish Encyclopedia apparently mentions that the rock was called "cruce," but does not provide a source.

The myth/story of Andromeda saved by Perseus has root in a story of the rites of Bacchus, preserved in Greek writers.

The story is included in the Latin writer Ovid's Metamorphoses, but he does not call the way Andromeda was fastened to the cliff face a "crucifixion"

But I think I have found the source, thanks to John Granger Cook's Crucifixion in the Mediterranean World (2nd extended edition, 2018)
2.13 Marcus Manilius (reign of Augustus and Tiberius)

Manilius’s Stoic treatise on astrology contains a reference to the “crucifixion” of Andromeda in a discussion of the star Andromeda in relation to the departure of the constellation Pisces.315

And as soon as one came to the shore of the enemy sea,
her tender arms were extended on the sharp cliffs;
they bound her feet to the rocks and bonds were attached,
and so the girl hung, about to die, on the virgin cross.
And yet her face and modesty were preserved
during the punishment, the torments adorned her;
with her snow-white neck easily leaning back
she appeared to be herself the guardian of her own beautiful form.

at, simul infesti ventum ext ad litora ponti,
mollia per duras panduntur bracchia cautes;
astrinxere pedes scopulis, iniectaque vincla,
et cruce virginea moritura puella pependit,
servatur tamen in poena vultusque pudorque;
supplicia ipsa decent; nivea cervice reclinis
molliter ipsa suae custos est visa figurae

She is punished in a cruciform shape. In one image she is actually attached to a patibulum,317 Manilius associates crosses and fetters - a basic element of Roman crucifixion practice.

===========
315 Man. 5.538-9 Andromedae sequitur sidus, quae Piscibus ortis / bis sex in partes caelo
venit aurea dextro
316 Man. 5.549-55. Trans, done with ref. to W. Hübner, Manilius >Astronomica< Buch V, Berlin 2010, 125. On this text, cf. I. Ramelli, Alcune osservazione sulle occorenze di Crux in Manilio, Seneca, Giovenale, Marziale, Espacio, Tiempo y Forma, Serie II, Historia Antigua 12 (1999) 241-52, esp. 242-7.
317 Cf. figure 3.
The citation above was formatted a bit by me, my apologies to Mr Cook.

Anyhow, the rock was not named or called "cruce," it was just a jagged rock. The bonds, however, were in one example of ancient art portrayed as part of the apparatus for crucifixion.

Her "tortures" were the humiliation of having her virgin pale white body exposed to the elements, and immodestly displayed to the view of the sea monster coming to eat her. The sea monster is probably a symbol for her own Uncle, the man to whom she was actually betrothed. The fate of marrying her Uncle did not please the young girl, and the story tells of her agony of having to accept an unwanted marriage brokered by by her own parents, which to her was no better than to be crucified. Upon her deliverance at the hand of the young and handsome Perseus, who marries her instead, the situation has happily reversed itself.

DCH