Impulsore Chresto is not suetonian

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Impulsore Chresto is not suetonian

Post by Giuseppe »

Can someone find this reference?

The name of a criminal and thief named Chresti mentioned by Cicero in Epistolae ad Familiares book 2, epistle 8, section 1.

Thanks in advance.

A Christian interpolator would have trasposed the riotous activity of this Chresti from Cicero's time to Claudius's time, previous the his partial transformation in Chresto.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Impulsore Chresto is not suetonian

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:45 am Can someone find this reference?

The name of a criminal and thief named Chresti mentioned by Cicero in Epistolae ad Familiares book 2, epistle 8, section 1.
This?

Epistles to Friends 2.8.1a: 1a Quid? Tu me hoc tibi mandasse existimas ut mihi gladiatorum compositiones, ut vadimonia dilata et Chresti compilationem mitteres et ea quae nobis cum Romae sumus narrare nemo audeat? / [Loeb translation:] 1a Well! Do you really think that this is what I commissioned you to do, to send me reports of "the gladiatorial pairs," "the adjournment of trials," "burglary by Chrestus," and such tittle-tattle as nobody would have the impertinence to repeat to me when I am at Rome?

Thanks in advance.

A Christian interpolator would have transposed the riotous activity of this Chresti from Cicero's time to Claudius's time, previous the his partial transformation in Chresto.
Wow! You are so talented at ancient textual analysis that apparently you can devise a theory of textual interrelationship without having even yet consulted the evidence.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Hee hee hee.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Epistles to Friends 2.8.1a: ... Do you really think that this is what I commissioned you to do ... such tittle-tattle as nobody would have the impertinence to repeat to me when I am in Rome?

:P