Oh, YEAH! More Conspiracy Stuff!!!

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: Oh, YEAH! More Conspiracy Stuff!!!

Post by Charles Wilson »

Peter Kirby wrote:To put a different spin on all this:
Scenario 3: The church gets big, both in the base of support and with the ears of important people, and begins to explain its beginnings with literature, including a myth baked in of how early that literature is. If there were no very early literature, it's only natural some claiming to be early would be created.

Scenario 4: Conspiracy stuff. Top-down Christianity. Some noble lord somewhere wanted to spread this and hired some writers to make it happen.

The fourth scenario looks good compared to the first or even the second. The third looks good in contrast with all the rest.
Hello PK-

This is not knock-down, drag-out stuff but your #3 is deceptive. It may be correct in this case, it's just deceptive. The entire problem here is, "The Church get big". My initial Post was concerning the Time Line for Mark. IF Mark quotes Antiquities..., or, at worst, Proto-Antiquities... (consisting of Nicholas of Damascus, captured Jewish History), Mark is still no earlier than 96 with knowledge of Domitian's Damnatio, and that's pushing it. Many see Mark @ 110 and that's a mere 10 - 15 years after Domitian.

Christianity took over in 15 years? Got B - I - G ? Maybe. I have problems with that but maybe you don't. Our problems may be linked to "What side of the Dividing Line are you on?" When it seems natural that a Platonic Jewish Traveling Preacher could walk into the Temple - after all, he taught there daily - and take over things, maybe all kinds of Time Lines offer themselves. On the other side of that Line is the Disappearing Jewish History part. They HAD their History. They had their Service. To Replay the Human Sacrifice Motif AGAIN leaves one idea. It's POSSIBLE, I suppose that the Parthians crossed the border late at night and replaced the Scrolls with this Jesus guy but it sure seems as if it was imposed on the Jews from somewhere. Josephus tells us that God took away the Promises and gave them to the Romans, specifically Vespasian and his kids. "This Josephus guy...Where did he get his PhD?"

Here is where 3 and 4 get merged around the edges. The Emperor as "god" only works as long as the Emperor is alive. The newly built "Church" lives on after the death of "god" and LO!: We've got Power AND Money!

Assume a Friendly Court that is "god-friendly" to Titus. The fawning Court writes about Titus' Signs Gospel to show that he was a god even while he was alive. Domitian poisons his brother and becomes "Lord God Domitian". He rewrites the "Sign's Gospel" into a text mostly on hand. The Baptism of John is augmented with the Superior Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Mark writes a very Literary Creation shortly after Domitian's death. Within 10 years time, there is a Foundation for a New Religion. As you say, a beginning is written, an end is written and it reads great if it's broken into 4 parts - That Sit-Com ending gets split up into 4 parts and that hides the fact that the sun traces out all 4 Stories without contradiction. It gets written in Greek since that hides a lot of the Aramaic material ("Lamb of God" for instance) and it's off to the races.

Now, this very fanciful couple of paragraphs works on a few levels as 3 and 4 combined. It also leaves a small detail to smooth over: If this is true and Mark was written close to 100 - 105, the Religion has to have its start KNOWING that Domitian, aka Your Holy Spirit, has been damned (He is incorporeal, don't you know) and it has to have been created in the reigns of other, equally screwball Caesars. All we have to do now is look up the Incorporation Papers for "Catholic Church, a Caesar Company". I don't foresee any problems there, do you?

Now the Church can get Big. It's brutalized all the rest of the opposition - It killed the Jews to get started - and #3 takes over. #4 is lurking in the shadows - make that "Roman Catacombs" - but that work can be seen as well. Just as the Mishmarot material can be seen. 'N who wrote that?

CW
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Charles Wilson wrote:Christianity took over in 15 years? Got B - I - G ?
Think of this as an algebra problem:

Where N is defined as the population of Christians and "big" is defined as N >= X (and "X" is the number of Christians needed for an event - say, writing the Gospel of Mark itself).

If T is defined as the number of years required for the population of Christians to reach X, find X and T.

We can even use subscripts: Xmk is the population needed to support the Gospel of Mark alone, and thus Tmk would be the number of years required to get to the population required to support the Gospel of Mark alone.

Any other assumptions? Sure. Let's assume that for every 1% of a city's population converted, 1 very wealthy patron, or its equivalent in several, comes along in the process. (Just an assumption but what can you do? There were surely 100 wealthy patrons or more in all the very big cities. Actually more, which makes the assumption basically that they converted at a lower rate.)

So take a city with a quarter million people... any of the few really big ones will do... how long to reach Xmk and Tmk?

I'd say it would only take 2,500 people (the first 1%) and the first very wealthy patron to get to the minimum to support a document the size of a standard size roll, such as the Gospel of Mark is. That includes the approximately 50 people in the community who might be able to read it to others (given 2% literacy) and the 1 or more persons in the community who can finance the scribal activity.

So Xmk = 2,500. how long does it take to reach 2,500 people in a city of a quarter million?

Let's assume that the missionaries and their families are 10 people in the first year, when they move to this city. From 10 until 250, let's assume a simple model of individual addition to the group through substantial active missionary activity. Let's assume that they are able to add just 10 other people to the group each year. It would thus take 24 years for this small band of missionaries to attract 250 people, enough for a few 'house churches' and wider visibility in this city as a new movement.

Our knowledge of new religious movements in general is that they can very easily outstrip any other group in their growth rate. Let's assume 7% annual growth rate. After 34 more years, we arrive at the 2,500 population and a sufficient roster of Mr. Moneybags (whether that's one or several) to support literary activity, as well as the "middle class" of literates who can come up with the text and interpret it to the rest.

So, by my napkin math, Tmk = 58. With some fairly conservative assumptions, I think.

What answers do you get?

PS - No, I don't accept your premise that this process has to start after Domitian.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
ghost

Post by ghost »

The Jesus-is-Caesar thesis is simpler; it requires neither a conspiracy theory nor a short timeframe.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

ghost wrote:The Jesus-is-Caesar thesis is simpler; it requires neither a conspiracy theory nor a short timeframe.
"Is that so?"

and

"So?"
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
ghost

Post by ghost »

Mark Antony made Asinius Pollio write the Caesar bio. No conspiracy. It was written around 32 BC. That leaves plenty of time for rewriting.

So Caesar matters. :wave:
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

It's a hypothesis, I suppose.
ghost

Post by ghost »

The numismatic evidence is there. The six-pointed star on a helmet appears on both Caesar and Herod coins…

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=565&p=11779#p11779
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=532

From there it's not hard to imagine that some Jesus texts could be based on Caesar texts.
ghost

Post by ghost »

Peter Kirby wrote:It's a hypothesis, I suppose.
March 15 is Saint Longinus Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Longinus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Cassius_Longinus