Mythicist Representations of Jesus in Ancient & Medieval Art

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Re: Mythicist Representations of Jesus in Ancient & Medieval

Post by Stephan Huller »

If I succeeded in making you laugh that was worth it. I don't know what credentials you need to be right in this field of study. I mean what is the 'accepted explanation' to why Jesus is understood to be wrestling with Jacob and in the burning bush with Moses and with two other angel 'guys' and Abraham? Availability of natural LSD in antiquity? Really what is the going explanation? Oh let me guess 'it's a literary tradition' - a typical no explanation explanation from scholars.
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I want the readers to note that the difference between my interest and that of other mythicists - my purpose isn't first and foremost to 'disprove' the existence of Jesus as much as better explain the oldest tradition in Christianity which is Marcionitism. Subtle distinction which demonstrates the purity of my soul. BTW look a 'burning bush' image on a monk's robe from St Catherine's monastery.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I'd buy your documentary.

Get a few interviews with the people who went to school for this.

Get an excuse to travel to Israel, if you want.

Add some photos of the art that you've been collecting, pan in/out with the voiceovers.

What's not to like? Sounds more fun than going back to college.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Nah, I will get Uncle Simcha to make it for me. Too busy to put this together. But thanks for the idea. Some more images from the British Library.
ImageImage
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

And the reason I couldn't go through academia back then is the reason I can't do it now. It's prostitution. I have nothing against prostitution if it recognizes what it is - i.e. if it's all above board and everyone recognizes 'I am the whore and you are the whoremonger.' But the game is played is disgusting with an 'atheist camp' over here and an 'evangelical camp' over there. Each has their 'agendas'. Their 'pet peeves' and their 'objectives.' Fucking disgusting. The idea of (a) taking the evidence (b) warping it to fit some pre-conceived notion of 'the truth' on the part of a particular 'group' and then (c) publish a book, give speeches and try to shape the public agenda for 'the cause' is so fucking contemptuous I'd rather be devoured by a pack of wild dogs and then run over by a truck. Life is so short. Who wants to be a whore? Or worse yet, an intellectual whore, that's the worst because most people engaged in prostitution of the flesh are just too stupid to understand that ramifications of what they are doing. Ignorance can keep you pure. But intellectual whores get the lowest rung of hell.
Last edited by Stephan Huller on Sun May 11, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Which is why a lot of people work on irrelevancies, whatever doesn't hit the news outlets. They'd rather not get sucked into all that.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Yup. That reminds me of my friend at Monash University. He retired recently. Must have been weird bringing in your lunch box each day working on stuff that no one read. Like Eleanor Rigby.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Christ at Creation

Sucevita Monastery, in Romania

Russian icon, Christ and Adam and Eve c.1570
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Yes thank you. Really appreciate this. I find it very fascinating. I do think that one can argue that the choice made by some artists to represent Christ in Eden or with Abraham is just that - an artistic decision. But the fact that Jesus is always represented (or perhaps almost always - I haven't literally checked to see if it is as universal as some observers say) in the burning bush is a tradition. It comes from something more than mere artistic interpretation or a series of artistic decisions or a tradition of artistic representation. It goes back to something deeper. But thank you. What I am looking for now is a quote that says what this anonymous blogger wrote albeit with a degree or a university attached to it.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

also if you weren't aware of the Theotokos in burning bush imagery

Icon of the Mother of God “the Unburnt Bush”

Troparion — Tone 1

The miracle that Moses witnessed on Sinai in the burning bush / Foretold your virgin childbearing, O pure Mother. / We the faithful cry to you: / Rejoice, O truly living bush! / Rejoice, O holy mountain! / Rejoice, O sanctified expanse and most holy Theotokos!

Kontakion — Tone 4

You showed Moses, O Christ God, / An image of your most pure Mother / In the bush that burned yet was not consumed, / For she herself was not consumed, / When she received in her womb the fire of divinity! / She remained incorrupt after her pure childbearing! / By her prayers, O greatly merciful One, / Deliver us from the flame of passions, / And preserve your people from all harm!
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe