Mythicist Representations of Jesus in Ancient & Medieval Art

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Mythicist Representations of Jesus in Ancient & Medieval Art

Post by Stephan Huller »

I am very interested in gathering up together all representations of Jesus engaging with the Patriarchs in the Pentateuch - especially as 'His Fire/His Man' (= אִשּׁ֣וֹ Deut 4:36). If anyone has access to more images of Jesus's presence as an angel during the 'pre-history' of the Pentateuch I would greatly appreciate it. Also if there are any examples of the earliest representations of the various scenes I would like to know (i.e. 4th - 7th centuries CE). As far as I can tell the images I can find are:

1. Jesus with Adam and Eve
2. Jesus as the chief of the three men who visit Abraham (tentative guess on my part
2. Jesus in the burning bush
3. Jesus at Sinai giving Moses the ten utterances

I would imagine that others exist such as Jesus leading the people out of Israel, Jesus wrestling with Jacob etc. Also it is worth noting that the Orthodox iconography avoids representing 'Jesus' in the burning bush choosing instead to place the Virgin Mary there.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Stephan Huller

Re: Mythicist Representations of Jesus in Ancient & Medieval

Post by Stephan Huller »

Its very rare to find an Orthodox community that doesn't represent the Virgin Mary in the fire with baby Jesus but here is one example from a Serbian monastery Image
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Stephan Huller wrote:I would imagine that others exist such as Jesus leading the people out of Israel, Jesus wrestling with Jacob etc. Also it is worth noting that the Orthodox iconography avoids representing 'Jesus' in the burning bush choosing instead to place the Virgin Mary there.
Part of me wonders whether it means anything. Art was highly stereotyped. The second guy makes it that way because the first guy did. Who knows why the first guy did?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

But the Marcionites (Apelles), Justin, Clement and Irenaeus say Jesus was in the burning bush. It was art based on theological writings.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Stephan Huller wrote:But the Marcionites (Apelles), Justin, Clement and Irenaeus say Jesus was in the burning bush. It was art based on theological writings.
Okay. "Paul" said something similar (it was Jesus that was the rock in the desert for Moses).

So how did Mary get there?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I think to reinforce that even when Jesus was the angel he was born from Mary. We're not dealing with smart people
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Stephan Huller wrote:But the Marcionites (Apelles), Justin, Clement and Irenaeus say Jesus was in the burning bush. It was art based on theological writings.
Have you also looked into those aspects of the divine liturgy/mass that may preserve early syncretism? Like mixing warm water with wine in the consecration?
Or the offering of milk and honey after baptism?
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Yes I have considered the milk and honey reference. I think Clement rejects the connection in the Instructor favoring instead the idea that the milk refers to the heavens (galakta). But the fact he even mentions It I think seems to imply this must have been an existing interpretation.

I have considered that. Good point. Thank you. I just finished a book on the subject. It mostly comes from my time spent here and at the old forum. Robert Price edited it but then I decided to rewrite it again and someone else is looking it over. Trying to find a publisher but it won't be easy. You get the PhD in order to get published as much as anything else (it's not for the money by the sounds of it). I think it will be a good mythicist book. At least it will have history on its side (no irony intended).
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I am not sure if that last picture is Jesus or Mary in the fire. Any thoughts?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It looks to me like whoever it is has a veil on his/her head, not hair. I could be wrong though.