Simon Magus Invented the Four Gospel tradition?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Simon Magus Invented the Four Gospel tradition?

Post by Stephan Huller »

From Voobus's translation of Marutha (which David Trobisch just sent me now in Syriac and English):
The heresy of the followers of Simon22. This is this Simon concerning whom the members of this religion called him Sem'on and were saying about him that he is a son of God23. And calling him the secret power24 of the creator, and because be obeyed the Father who sent him for our redemption, his name was called Sem'on and named him Simon. Those of the movement of Simon made for themselves a gospel25 in four parts and they called it the Book of the Quarters (of the world)26. They are all sorcerers. A thread of scarlet and of the rose (color) they bind at the neck like the priests. The ancients27 plated the hair of their heads and were occupying themselves with incantations and strange affairs.
Voobus notes that the words used in this source seem to echo Irenaeus's justification for the four gospels with the 'four corners of the world' (Adv Haer 3.11.8). I think it is possible that it represents a Diatessaronic rejection of Irenaeus's canon. It is worth noting that most people who have studied Adv Haer think that the section which begins with Simon Magus derives from Justin's Syntagma. What could explain ascribing the four gospels to the SImonians unless 'Peter' is meant?

It is worth noting that the Arabic text has instead of 'the ancients' the words 'as the priests of the Qadisaye plated the hairs of their heads ..."
Stephan Huller

Re: Simon Magus Invented the Four Gospel tradition?

Post by Stephan Huller »

Almost more interesting than this is the reflection of an Aramaic etymology that got obscured by the Greek name 'Simon.'
And calling him the secret power24 of the creator, and because he obeyed the Father who sent him for our redemption, his name was called Sem'on and named him Simon
The word shin mem ayin waw nun is very interesting Shemeon (שמעון) seems to be the Hebrew name behind the Greek name of the heretic. There seems to be some association between the 'secret power' and the common Hebrew name Simeon. Simeon means "one who hears (and obeys)" so there is some Hebrew play on name here - i.e. "he obeyed the Father who sent him for our redemption, his name was called Shim'on" - that might go back to Peter. In other words, I strongly suspect Simon Magus was Peter - not Paul - as commonly claimed.
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I found the later text of Arbaye on line. The ending reads:

They wore garlands made of red roses around their neck, they plaited their hair as the priests of Qadisaye, and they used magical prayers and strange practices114. Indeed these pagan rites resembled magical rituals. As it seemed, this
Last edited by Stephan Huller on Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Apparently the later text of Arbaye is better. The reference seems to be to Roman nobility

http://books.google.com/books?id=GSQ6HJ ... ck&f=false
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Stephan Huller wrote:It is worth noting that most people who have studied Adv Haer think that the section which begins with Simon Magus derives from Justin's Syntagma.

Can you tell me about the Syntagma? I don't know anything of this.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
ghost

Post by ghost »

Stephan Huller wrote:What could explain ascribing the four gospels to the SImonians unless 'Peter' is meant?
Why not Mark? :consternation:
Mental flatliner

Post by Mental flatliner »

Stephan Huller wrote:From Voobus's translation of Marutha (which David Trobisch just sent me now in Syriac and English):
The heresy of the followers of Simon22. This is this Simon concerning whom the members of this religion called him Sem'on and were saying about him that he is a son of God23. And calling him the secret power24 of the creator, and because be obeyed the Father who sent him for our redemption, his name was called Sem'on and named him Simon. Those of the movement of Simon made for themselves a gospel25 in four parts and they called it the Book of the Quarters (of the world)26. They are all sorcerers. A thread of scarlet and of the rose (color) they bind at the neck like the priests. The ancients27 plated the hair of their heads and were occupying themselves with incantations and strange affairs.
Voobus notes that the words used in this source seem to echo Irenaeus's justification for the four gospels with the 'four corners of the world' (Adv Haer 3.11.8). I think it is possible that it represents a Diatessaronic rejection of Irenaeus's canon. It is worth noting that most people who have studied Adv Haer think that the section which begins with Simon Magus derives from Justin's Syntagma. What could explain ascribing the four gospels to the SImonians unless 'Peter' is meant?

It is worth noting that the Arabic text has instead of 'the ancients' the words 'as the priests of the Qadisaye plated the hairs of their heads ..."
I think it's worth noting that the textual clues are insufficient to make a connection to the gospels at all.

They lack substantive history, they omit the entire body of Jesus' teachings, they omit Jewish heritage, and they're too vague to find confirmation on any point.
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Typical stupidity from you. The text speaks of a fourfold gospel likened to the corners of the world which Voorbus links to Irenaeus and you claim that's going too far. I don't bother to engage you in the other forums but now you're encroaching in my space. For those with interest I found Nau's 1907 translation here:

https://archive.org/details/patrologiaorient23pariuoft
Mental flatliner

Post by Mental flatliner »

Stephan Huller wrote:Typical stupidity from you. The text speaks of a fourfold gospel likened to the corners of the world which Voorbus links to Irenaeus and you claim that's going too far. I don't bother to engage you in the other forums but now you're encroaching in my space. For those with interest I found Nau's 1907 translation here:

https://archive.org/details/patrologiaorient23pariuoft
Okay, so they have the number 4 in common, and that makes them...what? Reliable?

If this is your reasoning, I would suggest that there about 100 episodes that the four gospels have in common, and based on your reasoning, you must conclude that the gospels are authoritative.

You need to recognize stupidity and shallow reasoning when you see it. I'm just trying to help you in that regard, my friend.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Hi Stephen -- behind the comments of mental and ghost you may have overlooked my question.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science