The Paraclite is Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

The Paraclite is Marcion

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:35 am

I am reading the Delafosse (alias Turmel)'s commentary on the fourth gospel.

It is curious to know the reasons to identify the Paraclite with Marcion.

I can alone (independently from the reading) already now to infer why 2 John 7 meant Marcion as the Anti-Christ and why there was a so strong need of calling someone "Anti-Christ".

The first Paraclite had to be converted in the "Anti-Christ".
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.

Giuseppe

Re: The Paraclite is Marcion

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 am

This is the my modest translation from the French text:

The Paraclite, the defender of Christ is a man. And, therefore, the identification that the Gospel proposes for us is artificial. He is supposed to want to enlighten us, to guide us. In reality he misleads us. Let us leave this lie and try to identify the character who originally bore the title of "Defender", which everyone, on a certain date and in a certain environment, commonly called by that name. To deserve such honor, he must have, doubtless, engaged in an extraordinary apostolate. But which one? The gospel tells us that he has relations with the unbelieving world. But this information, which seems to put us on the right track, teaches us nothing, since Paul and all those who, after him, have spread the Christian name, met on their way the incredulous either Jews or pagans. The embarrassment disappears when one remembers where one is. We are at the spiritual Christ, and it is the master of the house who has the word.

This man whose spiritual Christ announces the coming has appeared around 130; he was called Marcion. He has ''given witness" to his master; he has "glorified" him; he has "remembered" to the disciples all that the divine doctor had revealed; he has "teached all things". And we now understand these formulas which, applied to an ordinary apostolate, would seem strange. The "Defender" did not perform an ordinary apostolate. He preached Christ, not to Jews and Gentiles, but to the disciples, more precisely disciples of the disciples, conforming in this to the intention of the teacher who said, 17:20: "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message". It was addressed only to people who had already heard of Christ, who thought they knew him, who knew him, but who had in mind only an image distorted by prejudices. He worked to correct their mistakes, "reminding" them of the teachings given by the teacher but forgotten. In this way he gave "witness" to Christ, to the true Christ, to the spiritual Christ; that is how he "glorified" the Christ. This good servant, let us hasten to say it, was not abandoned to his own strength. His master supported him, inspired him, dictated his sermons (16:13: "He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears… it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you."). Yet, despite such a powerful collaboration, the "Defender" achieved only incomplete results. No doubt he made conquests; but the great mass of the Christian people was irreducible and refused to abandon their carnal Christ. The "Defender" had no other resource than to convict this unbelieving world of sin. It is, moreover, what the spiritual Christ had predicted (16: 8): "he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin".

Marcion originally occupied the role of Paraclete. Then he was ousted and his role, after a detour, ended up in the Spirit of truth. I said: after a detour. Indeed, the Spirit of Truth, who was the definitive heir of Marcion, was not the immediate heir. The charge of Paraclite, after having escaped Marcion, had an interim holder who exercised it for a few years before yielding it to the Spirit. This holder was Montanus who, from around 160, evangelized the Phrygia.

(p. 112-114, Le quatrième Evangile, H. Delafosse alias Turmel)

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:11 am

Evidence that Papias is post-Marcion is the fact that he knew the epistles of 1 & 2 John who knew Marcion as the "Antichrist".

Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:00 am

We must consider the possibility that "Marcion"/"Paul" is more closely related to the Johannine theology than Lukan.

A very tenuous tradition in Papian manuscripts states that it was John, not Luke or Paul, that Marcion learned from.