Luke's sources

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Luke's sources

Post by Peter Kirby »

Adam wrote:The style of personal abuse he’s unloading here strikes me more of Patrick Turkel (my best approximation now from memory of his real name he some time ago acknowledged) than of any other Theology Web prima donnae. I’m called you out, are you the MF?

Back to my apologia for JPHolding.

As for JPHolding, my understanding is that he is a college-trained Librarian.

Mr. Patrick Turkel
It's not Robert Turkel / JP Holding.

I do know his real first and last name (and other information), but out of respect for his privacy, I will not publish any of that.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Some of MF's claims are too silly even for Holding/Turkel.

It's funny, as a mod at the old BCH, I used to get PM's from people saying they suspected that this or that Christian apologist was really JPH, but I was never convinced that any of them were. I think some people regurgitate stuff they find on Tektonics, which might give the impression superficially that it's him, but JPH has a pretty distinctive style that I recognize. He's not actually stupid. Dishonest, arrogant,revisionist and insulting, yes, but not a genuine moron.

Holding also at least tries to couch his arguments in conservative scholarship a lot, while MF seems to just fire off whatever pops into head.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yes, DC,
I tried to acknowledge that this MF is smart, but so dishonest and snarky that one could think he is just stupid. My use of "Stupid" (with a Capital "S") was intended to be my admission that on certain points of agreement the T-shirt slogan, "I'm with Stupid" would be appropriate. A more exact simile would have been, "I'm with that sneaky S.O.B. in certain points like when a stopped clock is correct twice daily."
steve43

Post by steve43 »

Feeling superior tonight, eh?
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Adam wrote:The style of personal abuse he’s unloading here strikes me more of Patrick Turkel ... my understanding is that he is a college-trained Librarian.
It's not Robert Turkel / JP Holding.

I do know his real first and last name (and other information), but out of respect for his privacy, I will not publish any of that.
Holding is now a retired prison librarian (I do not know if that job would require a degree in library science) living in modest situation in a suburb of Orlando, FL, and I am sure he is a very nice man. I too am a state employee, and we are not supposed to interject ourselves into controversial situations, so I can understand his desire to maintain a pseudonym considering his advocacy of extreme Christian apologetics. Dorothy Murdoch was in a similar position with her former employer (although I think she was not a public employee). Luckily, I am not advocating anything other than the right to look at religion like any other subject, so I've been using my real name. If it becomes an issue, and I hope it doesn't, I'll gladly adopt a pseudonym.

However, by Googling several terms he used to describe his occupation, I came to the conclusion he was saying he was an auditor for the US Congressional Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, which audits the performance of the accounting firms that create financial statements for commercial businesses, banks and other investment houses. To be honest that kind of investigative auditing is well over my pay grade as an insurance auditor. However, the way he talked so cavalierly about assumptions and made so many wide generalizations told me that he really could not be an actual auditor, as he would have been fired as incompetent before his probationary period was over.

Now I think he may have assumed such a persona, using the PCAOB website as a source for his statements, but I find it hard to believe that he really understood the type of methodological doubt required to perform such a job, as he denies its applicability to understanding/studying Christian scriptures.

Perhaps Peter knows more. If he does have a job at the PCAOB, it cannot possibly be that of auditor, and he would be a clerk or something. To be an auditor at a Federal agency requires becoming a CPA and probably a MBA degree. MF did not have that kind of "eddycation."

DCH (from now on I'll be known only as "Mr. Scowling Waggyfinger")