Are there examples of verbs being treated as nomina sacra?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
stephan happy huller

Are there examples of verbs being treated as nomina sacra?

Post by stephan happy huller »

I remember reading Goodacre's argument that the Gospel of Peter might have read 'crucified one' as opposed to 'cross' to explain the talking cross of the text. I don't see a nomen sacrum for 'crucified one' anywhere. Is there any evidence that verbs were treated as 'sacred actions'? For instance is 'being crucified' or being stigmatized ever given a special ornamentation?
Everyone loves the happy times
stephan happy huller

Re: Are there examples of verbs being treated as nomina sacr

Answer - "the scribe of P.Bodmer XIV-XV writes both the noun "wind" and the verb "blows" as nomina sacra" so the answer is yes. So here is my question.

It says here that "The noun for "cross" and the verb for "crucify" were also dignified as nomina sacra by the beginning of the second century."

http://books.google.com/books?id=nPVHbS ... 22&f=false

So I presume that some manuscripts of Galatians 2:20 have nomen sacrum for 'crucified with' or possibly did at some point. I was wonder whether stigmata and crucify might have been transposed at some point. I don't understand the idea of being 'crucified with' Jesus but I think being 'stigmatized with' Jesus would be a reference to being sealed at baptism with him:
I have been sealed with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Last edited by stephan happy huller on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephan happy huller

Consider also:
Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old man was sealed with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.
The reason that this is important is that the heretics who were the oldest authorities on Paul didn't think that Jesus was crucified. It's like the age old Jewish and Samaritan objection to the Exodus being used as a symbol of baptism - the Israelites didn't touch the water.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

stephan happy huller wrote:I was wondering whether stigmata and crucify might have been transposed at some point.
Could you explain?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
stephan happy huller

the two verbs begin with the same two letters and thus would have the same symbol presumably
spin

Post by spin »

If you remember the crudful thread about the Dura Europos fragment, there is a nomen sacrum in that text ΣΤΑ which Kraeling argues was a verbal nomen sacrum, based on the existence of different verbal forms of σταυροω from Codex Bezae. He says on page 9 of his monograph:
  • But it should be noted that in the text of Mark in the Codex Bezae the verb forms σταυρωσον and σταυρωθη are abbreviated στν and στη respectively
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes