Why the demons recognize Jesus in Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why the demons recognize Jesus in Mark

Post by Giuseppe »

The LXX frequently uses dynameis to translate sabaoth in the expression "Lord of hosts", "Lord of the powers".

7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” 8 For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!”

9 Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.

11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

14 Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened.

In John, Jesus doesn't expel Legion because in John Jesus is not the "Lord of the Powers", but the Son of Father ("Bar-Abbas") searching for "the his own", not the carnal people of the creator.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.