Say It Aint So Joe. Test. Flav. Eusebius Author/Discoverer?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Re: Say It Aint So Joe. Test. Flav. Eusebius Author/Discover

Post by JoeWallack »

John2 wrote:Joe,

As far as I am concerned, aside from the idea that the TF could have roots in Origen (which I've never thought about before and will need to chew on, but doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility), you are preaching to the choir. So I'm curious what, if anything, you make of Goldberg's observation that there appears to be a connection between the TF and the Emmaus Road appearance in Luke 24.

On the one hand, since I'm already convinced that Luke used Josephus, it isn't hard for me to imagine that he saw some kind of pre-Eusebian TF in addition to the other things he uses from Josephus. But on the other, if there was something there, then it's hard to imagine why no one else would have cited it besides Luke before Eusebius.

So while I'm generally on board with what you are saying, I don't know what to make of it in light of Goldberg's observation, and I'm wondering what you might think. I'd like to think that there is no connection, because it would make everything easy, but I can't deny that there does at least appear to be some kind of connection between the TF and Luke 24. Coupled with the idea that Luke probably did use Josephus in other cases, it seems even more plausible (even if it creates more questions than it answers).
JW:
First of all, you ask a lot of questions for someone from New Jersey. Let me back up here. I've only presented a case suspecting Eusebius of guilt in the creation of the TF based on Literary Criticism, not Source Criticism. The evidence I have is a long way from good evidence to prove or even convict based on "probable". So my related conclusion is only that it is possible that Eusebius is guilty. As the conclusion is toned down it requires less evidence to sustain so I do think it likely that Eusebius is a suspect.

Regarding Goldberg, I would first look at his conclusions to weight him as a potential expert:

http://www.josephus.org/home.htm
In this article the Testimonium is shown to be a close rewording of a text that also appears in the Book of Luke. This modification of a source while respecting peculiarities and difficult phrases can be explained as Josephus' standard method of working, but cannot be explained as the normal manner of composing a Jesus story by later Christian writers. The conclusion is that the account in the Antiquities is almost entirely the work of Josephus, based on a Christian proselytizing document that was in circulation circa the year 90.
JW:
Perhaps more amazing than the TF being in Josephus is this mystery text being in the conclusion of Goldberg without any External evidence of existence. Goldberg's related writings seem to go in between claiming he has proved the connection to saying it is the most logical explanation. Parallel analysis is normally done between known sources. The difference here is that G-whiz (Goldberg) is comparing the parallels of known sources Josephus and GLuke to an unknown source. He than has no formal criteria for analysis, only proof-texting.

Ben Smith was probably the best Christian scholar to ever Grace FRDB (so I had to help chase him away) and he has Olson's related response here:

http://www.textexcavation.com/olsonmiddleterm.html

Olson thinks G-whiz's conclusion is not supported by his evidence. The other heavyweight here, Dr. Carrier, simply sees the parallels as evidence for Christian interpolation/forgery. The basic question does not change, who is more likely to have written the TF, Josephus or a Christian interpolator/forger? I have to agree here with Olson and Carrier, concluding that because the TF has strong parallels to the best possible source for Christians, a Gospel, that it was authored by Josephus, rather than a Christian, strikes me as strange/bizarre/macabre.

There is no substitute here for formal criteria for parallels. G-whiz concludes that the TF parallels remarkably well with a theoretical source that parallels even better with Luke 24. So use Clark's Criteria for Valid Parallels to evaluate the quality of parallels between the TF and Luke 24 excerpt as a source (since per G-whiz's theory Luke 24 is the best representative of the theoretical document):
1. Similarity in content

Too vague to stand on its own as a criterion of authorial intention for passages to be read in parallel. May complement other similarities.

2. Similarity in language

Lexical repetitions or synonyms. Rare words are more likely to be significant. Consider synonyms, too. Are compound forms forms apparently used as intentional parallels to their original forms?

3. Literary form

May not stand on its own but can complement other similarities. Healings of paralytics by Peter (Acts 3:1-10) and Paul (14:8-10) share a common literary form as both contain information about the place, action of the man, word of healing, gesture of healing, immediate occurrence of healing, demonstration of healing, and effect on the crowd (from Ludemann, Early Christianity ( via: Amazon UK ), 53).

Sometimes better to speak of distinct literary motifs in common: example, the double visions in each of the conversions of Saul (9:1-19) and Peter (10:1-48).

4. Sequence

The more extensive a sequence is the stronger it is as an indicator of intentional parallelism. Sequences may not always be in the same strict order, however.

5. Structure

Larger parallel structures, even though not always perfectly matched, are another strong indication of an intent to create a double pattern. Examples: Talbert's 32 parallels of content and sequence between the Gospel of Luke and Acts; between Acts 1-12 and Acts 13-28. The parallel structures suggest an intention to highlight a theme of continuity between Jesus and his disciples, and between the apostles and Paul.

6. Theme

Another complementary criterion that carries weight when in conjunction with other criteria. Perhaps also an essential criterion.

Also note: Disruption of the text

If the flow of the text is disrupted, or if a pericope is awkward internally, where a parallel appears, this is a strong indicator that the parallel was an important feature in the author's mind.
But after you do this analysis for the TF than do it for ALL of Josephus. And that is Olson's objection to G-whiz. Finding parallels between the TF and Luke 24 doesn't change the observation that a Christian would be more likely to write favorably of Jesus or at least mention Jesus than Josephus would.

Joseph
Last edited by JoeWallack on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

JoeWallack wrote: Finding parallels between the TF and Luke 24 doesn't change the observation that a Christian would be more likely to write favorably of Jesus or at least mention Jesus than Josephus would.
So...the christians can tell stories, create literary figures - and Josephus cannot?
Even if, for the sake of argument, Josephus had a copy of Luke in front of him and quoted directly from that source - must his readers now believe Jesus was historical? Surely not. The historicity, or lack of such, for the gospel Jesus does not depend upon what Josephus writes. Josephus could, for the sake of argument, know damn well that the Jesus of gLuke is not a historical figure - and still reference a Lukan Jesus in his writing. Josephus could as well be supporting a mythical, literary gospel Jesus story as he could be supporting a historical gospel Jesus story. Why the rush to limit Josephus to a wholly traditional Jewish position? All that does is shoot any ahistoricist/mythicist argument in the foot - and, especially for the James passage - result in an uphill battle against Josephan scholars. Things might look very different re Josephus if the ahistoricist/mythicist gave him a little leeway - saying he would not likely write such and such - that is putting this writer in a box. Limiting Josephus is tantamount to limiting the search for early christian origins.

Some Jews, somewhere, sometime, broke out of the traditional Jewish box. Now, did they stand on the street corner and declare they are now re-born as Christians? No. They got on with the job of carving out a new theology/spirituality/philosophy - whatever - and did not assume their names needed to be written across those gospel pages.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
JoeWallack

Luukee! Ya Got Sum Splainin Ta Do

Post by JoeWallack »

On the road again, making up Jesus movements with me and my friends, I just can't wait to get on the road again

JW
Let's go up to the Lab and see what's on the Parallels tomb slab:

Luke 24
24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, The things concerning Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:

20 and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him.

21 But we hoped that it was he who should redeem Israel. Yea and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things came to pass.

22 Moreover certain women of our company amazed us, having been early at the tomb;

23 and when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive.

24 And certain of them that were with us went to the tomb, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.

25 And he said unto them, O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!

26 Behooved it not the Christ to suffer these things, and to enter into his glory?

27 And beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Verses:

Antiquities of the Jews - Book XVIII CHAPTER 3.
3. Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, (9) those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.
Before we start to use formal criteria to compare the verses for parallels the Skeptical Student should ask, if there are quality parallels, what does that likely mean as to the possible directional relationship? The case against Eusebius is that the TF looks much more Christian than Josephus which suggests it was more likely written by a post Josephus Christian (like Eusebius). G-whiz (Goldberg) postures that there are quality parallels sufficient to prove/make likely that Josephus and "Luke" used the same source with "Luke" being noticeably closer to the source than Josephus. The G-man rightly observes that Luke 24 is more Christian than the TF and as the Brits say, this is his "cruncher". But, the main argument against the TF being original is that it does not parallel with Josephus in total. Even G-whiz confesses to us that the basics of the TF and Luke 24 are a Christian commercial while Josephus in total is an ad for Judaism for a Roman audience. So to the extent there is a quality parallel G-whiz's individual observations that Luke 24 looks later than the TF do not undo the general observation that the TF does not look like Josephus. This is why the experts here don't see Goldberg's argument as having much weight. Olson sees Goldberg as proof-texting, not dealing with the general, larger issue of what exactly is a French castle of information about Jesus doing in English and Dr. Carrier sees quality parallels as further evidence of Early Christian Forged Writings. So much for the experts/non-expert. On to the criteria for valid parallels:
1. Similarity in content

Too vague to stand on its own as a criterion of authorial intention for passages to be read in parallel. May complement other similarities.
The content of the TF = A summary of the key points from GLuke:
  • 1 - Issue of who Jesus was

2 - Healing Ministry

3 - Teaching Ministry

4 - Converted many Jews and Gentiles

5 - Accused by Jewish leaders

6 - Crucified by Pilate

7 - Disciples did not give up on him

8 - Appeared alive to disciples on 3rd day

9 - All foretold by the prophets
The content of Luke 24 = The 5 Ws of Jesus, who, what, where, when, why
  • 1 - Prophet

2 - Healing Ministry

3 - Teaching Ministry

4 - Accused and crucified by Jewish leaders

5 - Jerusalem

6 - Just happened

7 - All foretold by the prophets
Note that the TF parallels better with GLuke than Luke 24 does. This indicates that GLuke itself is sufficient by itself as a possible source for the TF without need of Luke 24. As mentioned above, a comparer must also compare the content of the TF to the content of Josephus as a whole. Not doing so would be as spin would say, "naughty". The content of the TF looks like a summary of the key points from GLuke while the content of Josephus as a whole is a summary of Judaism. Quite a difference.

Not a good start for Goldberg. Can the other criteria save Goldberg's Jesus Testimonium? Stay tooned.

Josephus

ErrancyWiki
John2

Post by John2 »

Joe,

Thank you for your input regarding Goldberg. I will take it into consideration.

Regarding your comment:

"I've only presented a case suspecting Eusebius of guilt in the creation of the TF based on Literary Criticism, not Source Criticism. The evidence I have is a long way from good evidence to prove or even convict based on "probable". So my related conclusion is only that it is possible that Eusebius is guilty. As the conclusion is toned down it requires less evidence to sustain so I do think it likely that Eusebius is a suspect."

I agree with you that Eusebius is only a suspect. That is how I understood your post.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
JoeWallack

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:
I would assume this has been pointed out in other Threads here but I wanted it identified in this Thread. Truth-challenged Eusebius sez that Josephus talked about Jesus after he talked about John the Baptist:

Church History (Book I) Chapter 11. Testimonies in Regard to John the Baptist and Christ.
4. He relates these things in the eighteenth book of the Antiquities, where he writes of John in the following words: It seemed to some of the Jews that the army of Herod was destroyed by God, who most justly avenged John called the Baptist.
7. After relating these things concerning John, he makes mention of our Saviour in the same work, in the following words: And there lived at that time Jesus, a wise man, if indeed it be proper to call him a man. For he was a doer of wonderful works, and a teacher of such men as receive the truth in gladness. And he attached to himself many of the Jews, and many also of the Greeks. He was the Christ.
However, our extant Josephus talks about Jesus first and than John the Baptist:

Antiquities of the Jews - Book XVIII CHAPTER 3.
3. Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, (9) those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.
Antiquities of the Jews - Book XVIII CHAPTER 5.

2. Now some of the Jews thought that the destruction of Herod's army came from God, and that very justly, as a punishment of what he did against John, that was called the Baptist: for Herod slew him, who was a good man, and commanded the Jews to exercise virtue, both as to righteousness towards one another, and piety towards God, and so to come to baptism; for that the washing [with water] would be acceptable to him, if they made use of it, not in order to the putting away [or the remission] of some sins [only], but for the purification of the body; supposing still that the soul was thoroughly purified beforehand by righteousness. Now when [many] others came in crowds about him, for they were very greatly moved [or pleased] by hearing his words, Herod, who feared lest the great influence John had over the people might put it into his power and inclination to raise a rebellion, (for they seemed ready to do any thing he should advise,) thought it best, by putting him to death, to prevent any mischief he might cause, and not bring himself into difficulties, by sparing a man who might make him repent of it when it would be too late. Accordingly he was sent a prisoner, out of Herod's suspicious temper, to Macherus, the castle I before mentioned, and was there put to death. Now the Jews had an opinion that the destruction of this army was sent as a punishment upon Herod, and a mark of God's displeasure to him.
Seems like you could argue either way regarding Eusebius' different order and evidence of guilt:
  • 1) Specifically, if Eusebius noted a different order than what is extant, I think that is evidence of his innocence.

2) Generally, it is more evidence that Christians changed whatever was original, and Eusebius remains the prime suspect, so that is evidence of his guilt.

Joseph

ErrancyWiki
yalla

Post by yalla »

Joe
Check out this statement by Carrier on the subject of Eusebius saying Josephus talked about Jesus after he talked about John the Baptist.
Its in the comments in his reply to #12.
"Eusebius doesn’t say the TF came after the Baptist passage. That’s in English translations, but not the Greek. Eusebius actually wrote
“Having covered these things concerning John, he also [covers] our savior in the same historical treatise, recollecting in the following way…"

The idiom does not require the meaning that the one followed the other. It simply means Josephus covered both .... [more].

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/4391
JoeWallack

Post by JoeWallack »

yalla wrote:Joe
Check out this statement by Carrier on the subject of Eusebius saying Josephus talked about Jesus after he talked about John the Baptist.
Its in the comments in his reply to #12.
"Eusebius doesn’t say the TF came after the Baptist passage. That’s in English translations, but not the Greek. Eusebius actually wrote
“Having covered these things concerning John, he also [covers] our savior in the same historical treatise, recollecting in the following way…"

The idiom does not require the meaning that the one followed the other. It simply means Josephus covered both .... [more].

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/4391
JW:
Good one Old Yalla:
tauta peri tou Iôannou dielthôn, kai tou sôtêros hêmôn kata tên autên tou suggrammatos historian hôde pôs memnêtai…

“Having covered these things concerning John, he also [covers] our savior in the same historical treatise, recollecting in the following way…

The idiom does not require the meaning that the one followed the other. It simply means Josephus covered both. That Eusebius specifies it’s in the same history indicates he certainly wasn’t saying the one followed the other (as if that’s what he meant, he wouldn’t have to say that it was in the same treatise).
JW:
I've seen it simply stated as Gospel the other way:

Ablution, Initiation, and Baptism: Late Antiquity, Early Judaism, and Early Christianity

Eusebius refers to it as coming after the piece about John:

"After narrating these things about John in the same historical work he speaks as follows concerning our Saviour"
Perseus
Ταῦτα περὶ τοῦ Ἰωάννου
Ταῦτα

Looks to me like the simple meaning of the offending word is chronological (following/after) but there are all kinds of related considerations and I freely confess that Dr. Carrier would know much better than me. I'll also confess in general that Eusebius' use of language is loose by modern standards. As always, where the hell is Jeffery Gibson when you really need him.

Joseph

ErrancyWiki
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

JoeWallack wrote:As always, where the hell is Jeffery Gibson when you really need him.
https://www.academia.edu/3641674/The_Disciples_Prayer

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/exploringo ... rayer.html

Quite a colourful character.

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
JoeWallack

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:
Skeptical detective Dr. Richard Carrier is back on the case discovering more clues that Eusebius/Christianity may be the guilty party behind the forgery/interpolation of the TF:

The Josephus Testimonium: Let’s Just Admit It’s Fake Already
The new article is by Paul Hopper, Distinguished Professor of the Humanities Emeritus at Carnegie Mellon University, “A Narrative Anomaly in Josephus: Jewish Antiquities xviii:63,” in Monika Fludernik and Daniel Jacob, eds., Linguistics and Literary Studies: Interfaces, Encounters, Transfers, (2014: de Gruyter), pp. 147-169 (available at academia.edu).

So in addition to all the evidence I and other scholars have amassed (summarized, with bibliography, in On the Historicity of Jesus, ch. 8.9), including the fact that what was once thought to be an Arabic testimony to a pre-Eusebian version of the text actually derives from Eusebius (as proved by Alice Whealey), and the peer reviewed article by G.J. Goldberg that proved the TF was, as a whole unit, based on the Gospel of Luke (and thus even if Josephan, not independent of the Gospels) and my own peer reviewed article (now reproduced in Hitler Homer Bible Christ, ch. 19) that added even more evidence, including proving the other brief mention of Jesus in Josephus was also fake (an accidental insertion made centuries after Josephus wrote), and the literary evidence produced by Ken Olson that the TF is far closer to Eusebian style than Josephan style, now Paul Hopper shows that grammatical and structural analysis verifies all of this.
This prompts me to update my own outline of the reasons to suspect Eusebius of being involved with the forgery/interpolation of the TF (which I think is already the best outline of the case around):

CIRCUMSTANTIAL

1) Discovery

1 - No evidence for the TF before Eusebius
  • 1) General silence - expectation that if the TF existed it would have been used due to its importance to Christianity.
    • 1 - Probably most, if not all, Church Fathers would have heard of/been familiar with Josephus as he was the official historian of 1st century Israel where they thought Jesus was from.

2 - For Church Fathers with a minimum of extant writings, most refer to/quote from Josephus and he is actually the most referred to non-Christian author of the early Church.

3 - After Eusebius some major Church authors still don't refer to the TF. Presumably because their copies don't have it.
    2) Specific silence - http://vridar.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/josephus/
    • ca.140 CE Justin Martyr
      • For the Cave, consider that Justin was a philosopher in
        Rome and his interests were:

1) Jesus

2) 1st century Israel

3) Arguing with Pagan and Jewish philosophers

The related question should be:

Why wouldn't Justin be familiar with Josephus?

I also wonder if the Cave is even willing to concede that
        extant Church Father writings prove the Fathers could
        read and write. Maybe they just dictated, or maybe they
        became blind or maybe they were temporarily sight-
        impared while Josephus was in front of them.
      ca.170 CE Theophilus - uses Josephus

ca.180 CE Irenaeus - uses Josephus

ca.190 CE Clement of Alexandria - uses Josephus

ca.200 CE Tertullian - uses Josephus

ca.200 CE Minucius Felix - uses Josephus

ca.210 CE Hippolytus - uses Josephus

ca.220 CE Sextus Julius Africanus - uses Josephus

ca.230 CE Origen - uses Josephus

ca.240 CE Cyprian

ca.270 CE Anatolius - uses Josephus

ca.290 CE Arnobius

ca.300 CE Methodius - uses Josephus

ca.300 CE Lactantius

Of the 14 Fathers here who show no awareness of the TF 10 show use of Josephus. In addition a decent argument can be
      made that a few of the 4 who show no clear reference to Josephus do have some decent parallels. Comically, Roger Pearse started this list in order to demonstrate that the Fathers in general would have no interest in Josephus and ends up demonstrating that the conclusion he disputes is correct.

Note that it's not just the quantity of Patristics who show no awareness of the TF up to E (Eusebius) that is remarkable but
      also the quantity of years, over 200, with no awareness of the TF.
2 - Evidence that the TF was created during the career of Eusebius

2) Familiarity - Parallels to Eusebius' own Adversus Hieroclem.

3) Language - The key phrases are generally Eusebian and not Josephan.

4) Context - The context of the TF is contrary to Josephus and parallels Eusebius' Demonstratio Evangelica.

5) Manuscript - Relative uniformity of the TF post Eusebian.

6) Lack of any coherent argument for originality.

7) Opportunity
  • 1 - Eusebius was a manufacturer of texts. He was known to have produced Bibles at a high level and had a Scriptorium at Caesarea.

2 - Around this time there was no wise man named Jesus but there was a Western Emperor who would have protected Eusebius in general and specifically against charges of tampering. As self-anointed expert Brad Watson concludes, there are no coincidences.
8) Motive
  • 1 - Eusebius has a general credibility problem regarding sources. We have numerous instances where the problem is somewhere in between creating/editing/hiding the source. See my related Award winning Thread:

Was Eusebius A Truth Challenged Advocate For Jesus? - The Argument Resurrected
9) Authority

Last and least, authority confesses to us that the TF is likely not original.

10) Possible Source

The main criticism of Eusebius is that he uncritically accepts sources that promote Christianity. He is an Advocate for Christianity and not a Judge. My own specific guess as to the Origin of the TF is Eusebius' take on Origen's related commentary, parallels in [Red]:

Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew (Book X)

Presentation of quality parallels here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=618&start=40#p13090
Eusebius takes literary license to assume that there is an implication that per Origen Josephus wrote directly about Jesus and that Origen's surrounding information was fair game as to what to include. This also helps explain why Jerome has "thought to be" instead of "was" the Christ. Original Eusebius also had "thought to be" because that was the implication from Origen.

Another possibility is that there were comments in the margin of Origen's copy of Josephus either put there by Origen or someone in between that Eusebius inherited from Origen at Caesarea and Eusebius added them into the text. For those who need points sharply explained, the best literary clue before Eusebius' TF is Origen and physically Origen/Eusebius were at the exact same scene of the crime.

Josephus

ErrancyWiki
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

JoeWallack wrote:JW:
Skeptical detective Dr. Richard Carrier is back on the case discovering more clues
Give that credit to Paul Hopper.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown